SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#362744 - 03/08/13 01:59 PM S950 How to replace a style INTRO with another ??
Dnj Offline

Help..How to take an Intro from one style and replace it with one from another style ??

Can anyone give me the basic step by step procedure if possible to take the INTRO of one style and add it to a different style and re-save it that way to use the NEW style whenever needed.....any help appreciated.

Thank you

#362747 - 03/08/13 02:33 PM Re: S950 How to replace a style INTRO with another ?? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's the same as replacing any other element of the arrangement, but remember, you need to save it as a new name. You can't edit the style and have it overwrite the factory, like you can on a Korg. (At least you can't do it easily - there MAY be a way)
It's simple cut and paste - go to style record and copy and paste.

#362752 - 03/08/13 03:18 PM Re: S950 How to replace a style INTRO with another ?? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

This is what I learned so far.....haven't tried it yet...can any Yamaha users confirm these steps?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Style Assembly

Have you ever used a style and thought “I like this style but I do wish it had a different Intro or I wish it had that piano section that is on another style” This is exactly what you can do using Style Assembly in the Style creator.
You just need to do a little preparation beforehand to make this easier and save you darting back and forth to different sections.

Firstly select the style you want to create. I have selected Midnight Swing in Swing and Jazz section. I am now going to save this to my user drive.

I want to copy the intro and certain sections from Movie Swing 2 in Movie and Show section. I now save this to my user drive. As I mentioned this will save you time having to go between the different folders as we progress. Because I am going to change Intros I firstly need to check the amount of bars in the style I am copying from. In this case it is nine.

Now go to your used section and select Midnight Swing. Press digital record and select Style. Press EXIT once to give you the view of the style sections.

Tab to Intro three and you will see it is set to four bars. Press either button 5 or 6 down and increase to nine. Now press EXECUTE.

Now tab to assembly page. You will now see all the style sections and at the bottom of the screen you will see we are on Intro three. Now press Rhythm one twice and tab to User. Now press Movie Swing and then Exit. Press Rhythm 2 twice, It will now probably go to user automatically. If not select it and press exit.

Continue this way until you have done all the parts. Now press play and listen to the end result. If you also want to change the ending then it is the same procedure. Always remember first to check the amount of bars in each style and adjust accordingly. Once done now save giving it a new name to where you want it. Either, user, HD, or USB.

The Movie swing style has a nice piano part to it and you may think you would like to add that to the style you have just altered.

In that case then don’t save your style just yet. Note that this part is on CHD 2. If we look at Midnight Swing we notice that the piano part is on CHD 1.

This I want to change in main C. Tab back to main page and select Main C. Now tab to Assembly again. Press Chord 1. Now in the Copy From section part select Channel and put onto Chord 2. Now press Chord 1 again and on user select Movie Swing then Exit. Now press start and you will hear you now have the piano part from Movie swing playing.
I hope this has given you a little insight into how this works and that you will want to try it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes it is possible, use the style assembly feature in your keyboard. Smiley

See this article written by Eileen Lowry

Changing Style Intro's
This question has come up once or twice and is not hard to do. Firstly select the style you want to copy to, At this point I find it easier to save it to my user section, You will see why as we go along.
Now select the style that you are going to copy the Intro from and save to the user section. This now will make it quicker for you to find once we start.
Start the Intro you want to move playing and make a note of how many bars long it is, Now select the style you are going to alter and Press Mixing console to show style parts and make a note of the drum kits used and the voices as you will want to keep most of these the same, We are now ready to start.
Press Digital record and select Style, Press the Exit button once to show you the Section and Pattern length's, Using Lower Button No3 tab down to Intro 1.You will see it is set to one, Use Bottom Button 5 and tab to the amount of bars you need for your new Intro and the press Execute, Now press Button F, REC CH and delete any tracks that have been used.
Now tab to Assembly page, Here you will see all the parts, Press Rhythm1 and now at the bottom of the page you will see Section which will be on Intro one, You must change this to Intro Three as this is what you want to copy Now press Rhythm 1 again this will take you to the User page where you will see the style you want to copy from, Select it and then press Exit, You will now see the drum part has the name of the copied style. Press Rhythm 2 and set on intro three as before, Press Rhythm 2 again, Select your style from user and press Exit, Continue this way until all tracks have been copied.
Now Tab back to Basic Page and Press Button F, REC CH Now you can change the voices if you require by pressing the top button under each voice and selecting the voice you want, Press play and listen to it, Then Press Mixing Console and select style parts, You can now alter Volume and Pan, Tab to effects and you can add Re verb and DSP to parts, When you are happy with it SAVE IT, and give it a new name so you will know it, I always save mine into a folder on my hard drive, You can then clear them from your user section ready for the next one. Of course you can use this method for copying just one part from one style to another to, Say you wanted to copy a piano part then it is done the same way.
Hope you will find this of help and like anything the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Edited by Dnj (03/08/13 03:24 PM)

#362913 - 03/11/13 05:28 PM Re: S950 How to replace a style INTRO with another ?? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Donny,
not as simple as on the korg, but I used to do it on my psr1500.

I haven't been around in a while, so I gather your latest keyboard is the s950??

How are you finding it?? Hubby's trying to find a nice birthday present for me, and a new keyboard sort of sprang to mind, haahaa ( and no, I haven't given up my PA3X).

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#363036 - 03/13/13 07:47 AM Re: S950 How to replace a style INTRO with another ?? [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Hi Donny,

I haven't been around in a while, so I gather your latest keyboard is the s950??

How are you finding it?? Hubby's trying to find a nice birthday present for me, and a new keyboard sort of sprang to mind, haahaa ( and no, I haven't given up my PA3X).

Hi Rikki,...yes the S950 is working out Very well and sounds terrific. You won't go wrong with one for sure. I also enjoyed the Pa3x too but I had to make a choice as to what would cover my needs on stage and the S950 does that admirably for now.
When I get a break from gigs I will indulge in style assembly on a few styles to create what I was looking for,....meanwhile for me Yamaha continues to be TOPS in the availability of styles, factory, and third party by far which is nice also. good luck to you.

#363047 - 03/13/13 08:53 AM Re: S950 How to replace a style INTRO with another ?? [Re: rikkisbears]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Hubby's trying to find a nice birthday present for me, and a new keyboard sort of sprang to mind, haahaa ( and no, I haven't given up my PA3X).

Rikki ... DonM is selling his S950 ... don't know what SHIPPING might cost but ... ??? wink

#363051 - 03/13/13 09:03 AM Re: S950 How to replace a style INTRO with another ?? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Hubby's trying to find a nice birthday present for me, and a new keyboard sort of sprang to mind, haahaa ( and no, I haven't given up my PA3X).

Rikki ... DonM is selling his S950 ... don't know what SHIPPING might cost but ... ??? wink

too late tony its sold ... cool2

#363111 - 03/13/13 08:49 PM Re: S950 How to replace a style INTRO with another ?? [Re: Dnj]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Thanks Donny,
I've sort of got a rain check on it at the moment. Didn't say NO, but rolled his eyes asking if I really need another keyboard. haahaa
If only the grandchildren were a bit older, I could give them my psr1500, then I'd definately need a replacement. haahaa.

Anyway, when you do get a chance, style assembly is definately worth persuing. I used to use the function a fair bit on my korg's.
Particularly handy for converted styles. ie if I had a really bad drum track in a conversion, I used to try & find an onboard style with a similar beat & replace it with that. Other instruments as well.
You can replace whole style parts or just individual tracks from within the same style or from another style, such a handy function.
Another possibility, you could have a song specific midifile Intro/Ending and use style part variations & fills.

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Hi Donny,

Hi Rikki,...yes the S950 is working out Very well and sounds terrific. You won't go wrong with one for sure. I also enjoyed the Pa3x too but I had to make a choice as to what would cover my needs on stage and the S950 does that admirably for now.
When I get a break from gigs I will indulge in style assembly on a few styles to create what I was looking for,....meanwhile for me Yamaha continues to be TOPS in the availability of styles, factory, and third party by far which is nice also. good luck to you.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online