Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#362564 - 03/04/13 11:03 AM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: DAN.2000]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
You don't need this smile

Now on to more serious stuff, like the OP wink

Yeah Dan, on reflection I think are are correct..I was just being a tad lazy in something I wanted to do - I already have the capability with vA and the Kronos - just too lazy to set it up laugh

Cheers m8,

Dennis

#362569 - 03/04/13 11:31 AM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: miden]
zuki Offline

Miden, I think you and I have the same arranger tastes. My opinion of the E60 is not good. It is awful for live play and at best, is a continuation of their pitiful E-09 series (IMO). Don't see many playing 'em these days??? I couldn't wait to rid mine. Stick with the PA series.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#362570 - 03/04/13 11:33 AM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: miden]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry Nigel. Personally, I don't care one way or the other what Donny does with his money or his time. As I said, all I really care about is that this forum is often used by people looking to buy something, and that gear recommendations should be made only AFTER you are sure about your impression. Donny's about faces are potentially expensive for someone ELSE if they take his initial review seriously.

We owe it to our fellow members here to wait until the blush is off the rose before we tell everyone how great something is, and they should go out and buy one! If Donny didn't gush so much the minute he got it, his abrupt turnaround wouldn't seem NEARLY as contradictory!

#362573 - 03/04/13 01:29 PM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: zuki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: zuki
Miden, I think you and I have the same arranger tastes. My opinion of the E60 is not good. It is awful for live play and at best, is a continuation of their pitiful E-09 series (IMO). Don't see many playing 'em these days??? I couldn't wait to rid mine. Stick with the PA series.

Hey Jim, just curious why you thought the E60 was awlful to play live on stage...I always thought it was one of the best stage friendly instruments..You could use user programs or easily change instruments...it reads styles instantly from compact flash...and has the best edit tools in the business...all accessible while playing live...V=beam was also useable live (E60)..

The sound engine derives from the top E-80...

The reasons I sold the 3 that I owned....first someone wanted to buy them at prices I could not refuse...Second I would have liked an input since it had speakers..

The keybed was way better than the PA800 I had..and was a better playable feel and range...User friendliness was much better than the PA800...

And as you mentioned...I also was glad to get rid of the PA800(The most over priced arranger..second only to the Tyros4)

A clean E60 for under $600 is very desireable..about the same real value I put on a clean PA800...add $100 more if it has the optional MP3 card..

#362574 - 03/04/13 01:36 PM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Hey Jim, just curious why you thought the E60 was awlful to play live on stage...I always thought it was one of the best stage friendly instruments..You could use user programs or easily change instruments...it reads styles instantly from compact flash...and has the best edit tools in the business...all accessible while playing live...V=beam was also useable live (E60)..The sound engine derives from the top E-80...

I agree with Fran to a point...I also enjoyed the E60/50 on stage...with a few more options included, It is certainly a productive gigging arranger KB for sure. Jim can you elaborate a bit more about your E60 experiences?

thanx

#362600 - 03/04/13 11:32 PM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: miden]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: miden
And Nigel did you not notice the wink at the end of my post? Seems like you are looking for the scrap not me smile

Sorry no I didn't notice the wink. I just took it at face value. My bad. Apologies Dennis.

( Yup, always up for a scrap mate darthvader )

#362615 - 03/05/13 08:45 AM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: miden]
124 Offline

Mea culpa, too. I didn't spot it, either.

#362616 - 03/05/13 08:49 AM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: Nigel]
miden Offline

All g m8, laugh

All in fun - sometimes it is so damn hard in text!!!

D

#362620 - 03/05/13 10:46 AM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: miden]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Nobody asked me, but I'll say it anyway! wink

I had the E60 for about two years, I was the second one I think on this forum to own it. I order it blindly, from an internet store, it was among the first five or so sold by the respective shop. Why I did such a risky thing? Because I was so excited by the looks, the functions and the enharitage of it.

When I got it, after previously owning a Pa50, I noticed several very important differences to it. Among them the better keybed, better build, better styles (from the balance point of view), more professional look.

Anyway, I noticed immediatelly also the sounds that I believe were simply nothing like E80 or G70. Less definition, less punch, as much as I wanted I just couldn't get them to work for me.

Sufice to say I sold it and I got another Pa50 that I still own and use.

And just one more thing: to get the most out of the sounds, it really needed an multiband compressor to bring up high freq and help the overall balance. No eq per tracks.

So, still worth it? For a controler and ocassional arranger, no doubt. For a competitive sound set, I don't think so. Just my oppinion.

#362621 - 03/05/13 10:54 AM Re: Roland E60 - still worth it? [Re: adimatis]
miden Offline

Thanks Adi - your views are always respected -well afaiac anyway smile

I concur - I came to the same conclusions as well. Decent enough board in its day, but after experiencing the K, well, nothing else quite matches it in the sound department imo.

As I said, I was being lazy re a particular situation coming up and I was looking for a quick and downright dirty solution, instead of making an extra effort to "bend" the K to my will so to speak laugh

Dennis

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online