SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#362398 - 03/02/13 05:45 AM PSR-S910 Global Settings Question
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Guys and Gals:

I'm about 30 days into using the S910 (transitioning from a PSR-2000) and the manual (chuckle) leaves much to be desired. Is it possible to do a global setting on the panpots so I can always have the direction of each "pot" to be aimed at center stage... as though I were standing right in front of an orchestra or band like a director?

I am a songwriter and it takes valuable time away from each session to have to adjust each panpot. (Some are automatically preset with a style to cause a "voice" to sway left and right as a trumpet player might do.) This can create some nasty surprises in a new song being created. Having the pots always globally set the same way would allow me to make changes required only if the piece I'm creating needed a special treatment or direction away from center stage.

Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Rice

#362399 - 03/02/13 06:11 AM Re: PSR-S910 Global Settings Question [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

I don't have the KB with me but I remember somehow that if you "hold down" the button that corresponds to the ROW of the Panning adjustments on the side of the display while turning the MASTER wheel control....all parameters will move together.

#362408 - 03/02/13 08:46 AM Re: PSR-S910 Global Settings Question [Re: Riceroni9]
Happy Birthday scameron Offline

Hi everyone...one downside of the yamaha arrangers is that the right hand voice almost all the time has to be raised to match the left hand style...I'm always having to increase the volume to the right voice unless i save the current (adjusted) style/tone combi...on the korg you have a simple slider to keep the overall adjustment for the right - and have a simple slider for the left and another for overall very effective...but i wouldn't want to commit to just one make of arranger...since using both yamaha and korg together does produce (for me) the best sonic options.

Steve
mox8, psr s910, psr 2000, microarranger, pa 50sd, cx3

#362410 - 03/02/13 09:02 AM Re: PSR-S910 Global Settings Question [Re: scameron]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: scameron
Hi everyone...one downside of the yamaha arrangers is that the right hand voice almost all the time has to be raised to match the left hand style...I'm always having to increase the volume to the right voice unless i save the current (adjusted) style/tone combi...on the korg you have a simple slider to keep the overall adjustment for the right - and have a simple slider for the left and another for overall very effective...but i wouldn't want to commit to just one make of arranger...since using both yamaha and korg together does produce (for me) the best sonic options.

Steve
mox8, psr s910, psr 2000, microarranger, pa 50sd, cx3

Setting up song registrations first eliminates all RH volume issues...once set your good to go with OTS, etc,..so easy to do.

#362412 - 03/02/13 09:34 AM Re: PSR-S910 Global Settings Question [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Actually I find the default volume settings pretty good. It's really EASY to get the RH volume too loud, because that's what we are playing live, and that's what we need to hear clearly.
I have made myself keep the RH volume balanced with the "rest of the band", and it sounds better in the end mix!
Having said all this, it's very easy to just use Registrations to set the volumes however we want.
Woops, I see DNJ already said that.
DonM

#362417 - 03/02/13 11:13 AM Re: PSR-S910 Global Settings Question [Re: Riceroni9]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yes... scameron. You might want to record your playing. Once you get a chance to listen to the performance without trying to play it as well, you will tend to see that the RH voices (unless you have a REALLY super light touch!) are usually right.

The problem comes from while you are playing. We all have a tendency to want to hear ourselves well while playing, but we would also like the audience to hear it balanced in with the track. Sorry, but you can't have both. It takes quite a while to get used to hearing yourself WITHIN a mix, not on top of it...

Use the built in recorder, or MIDI sequencer, record yourself and play it back... are you still having a hard time hearing yourself?

#362422 - 03/02/13 12:48 PM Re: PSR-S910 Global Settings Question [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Hi Mason & Donnie:

I tried the trick DNJ suggested and it does move all the pots simultaneously. Unfortunately, I want them to pan toward the center as though a conducter was standing there. I suspect having them all face dead straight would make the song sound somewhat robotic or mechanical.

B-T-W... the same wheel can also be used to increase or decrease all "voice"/instrument individual volumes... but as with the pots, all sliders move to exactly the same volume and that would generate some funky sounding songs... LOL!

I was hoping to "Fix" all the pot directions toward a single point directly in the center and never have to adjust them again... unless I needed a specific orientation for one or two instrument/voice(s).

If any of you have a solution to this time consuming thing for me, I'd sure like to hear about it. I suspect it's something I'm just gonna have to "live with" but there is always hope.

On a different topic... Hey Mason, when are you appearing on "Duck Dynasty?" (LOL!)

Thanks again,

Dave Rice

#362428 - 03/02/13 02:00 PM Re: PSR-S910 Global Settings Question [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Rice, that's one of my favorite shows. Yes, it's corny, but it always has a good message at the end. And those guys are for real! I'd go on it in a minute! West Monroe is about 90 miles from me.
On the other hand, Billy the Exterminator is right down the road about five miles from me. Not a lot of class going on there!
I think my wife is remotely related to one of the Swamp People, but don't tell anybody!
DonM

#362442 - 03/02/13 06:14 PM Re: PSR-S910 Global Settings Question [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Hi Don:

I too, enjoy Duck Dynasty. I like the fact that it's pretty light stuff without real drama, alot of cussin' and carousing. Sure they look a little hokey sometimes... but it sure beats the Kardashian Trashians... LOL! My neice lives there and goes to a class with the Duck Dynasty Mom. Say's she is genuinely nice.

Your secret is out about the Swamp People... LOL!

All the best,

Dave

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online