SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#362457 - 03/02/13 10:03 PM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: Fran Carango]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
No. Fanboism was for young stating musicians affected by certain incidents which (or that carries to older age due to some flashbacks) or against their musical enemies' gear at that time.especially if a musician is forced to choose one due to the budget.(

Fender vs Gibson /
Model to brand loyalty /competition - DX7 vs M1 vs D50/ TRITON vs MOTIF/ TYROS vs PAxX the list goes on.

In arranger and SMF playeback world ,Roland definitely ruled the early 90's due to GM/GS (all commercially avail SMFs are written thru Sound Canvas (mainly SC55 which had both PCM and some minor LA syn).

If you were an OMB and had play arranger and SMF professionally in the early 90's no one can deny the success of E86 which had a floppy drive (released after complaints about E70 which hasn't ).E86 had direct disk play and direct new style from disk play which the mighty Korg I3 couldn't ( you have to load SMF and new styles and it takes time which was unpractical for OMB player with dancing audience on the floor.

Yes it was way before (G1000- SC88 board).Trust me ,because I lived through all those.

Korg woke up and immediately put SMF direct play to their new I4s (same sound source but ,can't write own styles like i3),they also put in great speakers but was way heavy,wasn't a hit .i5s and the rest up to I30 cam after before the mellinium and Pa80.

G1000 was a hit.Roland did hit and miss with subsequent arrangers Exxx series and low end Gs.

Yamaha 's arranger funtionality wasn't no where near their other rivals .Korg I3 (1993 korg i3 had 4 variations -even late 90's Psr 8000 had only 2).Better sound quality of Euro Keyboards like Solton (ketron) and GEM weren't having mega success.Technics was doing great in pro arranger world yet did not have accessory power of the mighty three.

The game changed again in year 2000. Successful PA 80 and more successful PSR 2000 -priced at $1200 (after dissapointment of 9000 pro),it was an instant hit for western (us/uk) arranger players. Oriental versions of both Roland and korg already made great 3rd party support in the 90's). Wasn't the case with Yamaha. A 1200$ keyboard with VH drew a lot of attention to home players and starting pros alike. The third party support grew from there.

Ketron in other hand has been given limited access to most of the world due to several reasons that you know.

To sum it up, all KBs has their hits and misses.it's all about making profit and occasionally you will have a hit due to good hard ware/sound and relative portability - dx7 in the early to mid 80's, m1 in late 90's,01w and k2000 in early 90's, jv 1080 in mid 90's,Triton in the late to early 2000's and so on.

They are just tools. I would love to have all the great keyboards regardless of their brand. So, no.No royalty because it's not a person.It's a brand run by a corporation managed by good and bad/smart and dumb people.you may be lucky once in awhile but never always.

#362460 - 03/03/13 12:02 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: jamman]
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Originally Posted By: jamman
m1 in late 90's,01w and k2000 in early 90's, jv 1080 in mid 90's,Triton in the late to early 2000's and so on.

I meant M1 in late 80's,early 90's and Tritons (1999) in early 2000's.

#362464 - 03/03/13 01:28 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Daniel_C Offline

I love the classic Korg sounds and have used a lot of their gear (M1,Trinity Plus, X5d , N264) and I currently have an X50 at home , but for my gigs I bought a Juno Di and Fantom XA from Roland , and by using korg samples on the XA I have the best of both worlds, including sounds from the DX7, D-50, Technics organ, and SQ80 , you´ve gotta buy what´s best for you.

#362465 - 03/03/13 02:12 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
All of the major brands have features I prefer, but alas, none have them all. Therefore, I choose the one with the most at any given time.

In short- NO

#362467 - 03/03/13 03:56 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

If i have 500 performances/styles that i use professionally, upgrading to a compattible system and thus sticking to the same brand might be a very wise decission. I would hate the tought of starting all over again with every new keyboard i buy if i where a professional player.

As a hobby player however, its part of the joy getting new hardware and exploring it, thats 2 totally different views.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#362477 - 03/03/13 06:31 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

I think Roland lost many of their BRAND Loyalist arranger players when they dropped their TOTl G70 years ago...what a slap in the face to dedicated brand loyal owners who now have drifted to Yamaha or Korg, Ketron,etc, and will never return, leaving them with a much lesser featured MOTL Bk7/5 arranger.Who knows what they were thinking?,.. but as usual money and profits leads the decision every time Roland is no exception. Will they ever return with a TOTL unit who knows? But IMO you gotta live for today and use what gear is available no matter who makes it as long as if serves YOUR needs. The dinosaur G70 will have some brand loyalists all these years later but I'm sure inside they are pissed and wonder what the heck happened that they never kept going with their TOTL arranger KB's.. Roland has given me and many others many years of super gear, but alas they have gone in another direction now never listening to their arranger KB customer base,...
I wish them luck, but my brand loyalty is else where.
I am happy there are many choices and alternatives, looks like Roland doesn't care about their customers so why should they.

#362482 - 03/03/13 06:57 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Here is a view of why Roland fans will return (those that have left)...The company has always released products with advanced features and sounds...at more reasonable pricing than the competition..and trys to maintain a quality that the other brands do not..with the exception of Ketron..

#362486 - 03/03/13 07:23 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Here is a view of why Roland fans will return (those that have left)...The company has always released products with advanced features and sounds...at more reasonable pricing than the competition..and trys to maintain a quality that the other brands do not..with the exception of Ketron..

And when is this earth shattering return going to happen, technology just keeps on going very quickly?
Doesn't look like it at this time,....but I hope your right in years to come if at all.

#362487 - 03/03/13 07:23 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: Fran Carango]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

which Testament is this Fran that you are quoting from, The Old Testament or even one prior to that whose existence we are not aware off ?
I know you love your Roland stuff and I wish you well with it,but " brand loyalty " ? , whatever made you decide to spend a threat on such an item...............

regards,
John

P.S. NO, definitely NO

#362489 - 03/03/13 07:32 AM Re: Is Brand loyalty important.. [Re: jamman]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: jamman
No. Fanboism was for young stating musicians affected by certain incidents which (or that carries to older age due to some flashbacks) or against their musical enemies' gear at that time.especially if a musician is forced to choose one due to the budget.(

Fender vs Gibson /
Model to brand loyalty /competition - DX7 vs M1 vs D50/ TRITON vs MOTIF/ TYROS vs PAxX the list goes on.

In arranger and SMF playeback world ,Roland definitely ruled the early 90's due to GM/GS (all commercially avail SMFs are written thru Sound Canvas (mainly SC55 which had both PCM and some minor LA syn).

If you were an OMB and had play arranger and SMF professionally in the early 90's no one can deny the success of E86 which had a floppy drive (released after complaints about E70 which hasn't ).E86 had direct disk play and direct new style from disk play which the mighty Korg I3 couldn't ( you have to load SMF and new styles and it takes time which was unpractical for OMB player with dancing audience on the floor.

Yes it was way before (G1000- SC88 board).Trust me ,because I lived through all those.

Korg woke up and immediately put SMF direct play to their new I4s (same sound source but ,can't write own styles like i3),they also put in great speakers but was way heavy,wasn't a hit .i5s and the rest up to I30 cam after before the mellinium and Pa80.

G1000 was a hit.Roland did hit and miss with subsequent arrangers Exxx series and low end Gs.

Yamaha 's arranger funtionality wasn't no where near their other rivals .Korg I3 (1993 korg i3 had 4 variations -even late 90's Psr 8000 had only 2).Better sound quality of Euro Keyboards like Solton (ketron) and GEM weren't having mega success.Technics was doing great in pro arranger world yet did not have accessory power of the mighty three.

The game changed again in year 2000. Successful PA 80 and more successful PSR 2000 -priced at $1200 (after dissapointment of 9000 pro),it was an instant hit for western (us/uk) arranger players. Oriental versions of both Roland and korg already made great 3rd party support in the 90's). Wasn't the case with Yamaha. A 1200$ keyboard with VH drew a lot of attention to home players and starting pros alike. The third party support grew from there.

Ketron in other hand has been given limited access to most of the world due to several reasons that you know.

To sum it up, all KBs has their hits and misses.it's all about making profit and occasionally you will have a hit due to good hard ware/sound and relative portability - dx7 in the early to mid 80's, m1 in late 90's,01w and k2000 in early 90's, jv 1080 in mid 90's,Triton in the late to early 2000's and so on.

They are just tools. I would love to have all the great keyboards regardless of their brand. So, no.No royalty because it's not a person.It's a brand run by a corporation managed by good and bad/smart and dumb people.you may be lucky once in awhile but never always.

That was a nice read !!!

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online