SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#361714 - 02/18/13 02:43 PM G-800: need help to fix
rustcat Offline

Looking for some expert guidance on fixing my keyboard. For some reason, my precocious nephew opened it up a few years ago (can't recall why) and since then it has developed a myriad problems.

Floppy disk drive is not recognized, doesn't power up consistently, all keys have a spooky-wavy sound upon startup, pitch bender doesn't work, etc. I can always power it up by unplugging and plugging back one of the white connectors to the mother board. The spooky-wavy aspect goes away when I turn on and then turn off the GM mode.

I'm hoping the silver lining is that it is a few (or one?) connection that may causing all of these problems. I developed a whole bunch of neat styles and sounds on this which I'd love to re-discover. Used to be an old software package someone had written once where I could organize performance memories on the laptop - this was just the most awesome piece of s/w ever written.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions on what to look for with these symptoms and how to fix it without breaking the bank? I've seen some being sold for $400-500, but would rather just fix my baby.

IMO, the G-800 still had the best UI for live performances, i.e., changing PMs and styles on the fly - smooth. The G-1000 was a let down. Don't know much about the latest ones out there.

Please email to rustcat@hotmail.com as I have a lot of catching up to do here.

Cheers then,

Viper

#361778 - 02/19/13 11:48 AM Re: G-800: need help to fix [Re: rustcat]
rustcat Offline

Just checking to see if my previous query is visible to all?

#361821 - 02/19/13 11:12 PM Re: G-800: need help to fix [Re: rustcat]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Yes it is Viper. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

#362352 - 03/01/13 05:48 AM Re: G-800: need help to fix [Re: rustcat]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Where are you located? There are two places here in NJ. Central Jersey Electronics in Edison and Triple S in Bloomfield. Personally I'd look at a new BK5 or BK7M before dumping a few hundred into a G800. Sorry you don't like the G1000 as much as I have two for sale.

Good Luck

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online