SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3618 - 04/09/03 01:30 PM Re: What happened to the American Synth Manufactures?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Nigel is right... You want that classic sound, then the price is higher.. Here's a good example. I was watching PBS the other day and one of my favorite shows came on which is "The Antiques Road Show", and someone had brought in a 1960's model Fender Tele. It wasn't in mint condition, and you'd be shocked at the auction price for it.. The guy borrowed like $150 from his parents in the 60's to buy it, and now he can get upwards of $9,000 for it at auction. Keyboards are like that too. Look at the old Roland Juno's, the Yamaha DX's, The old Moogs, ect..... Those babies in mint condition sell for a lot more than you'd expect them to.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#3619 - 04/10/03 10:37 AM Re: What happened to the American Synth Manufactures?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Auctions are usually a bad place to buy . It's an idiots market at an auction , they tend to keep bidding just to beat the other guy/girl . Just go to a vintage guitar shop to get a 1960s telecaster , it more than likely will not be $9000 . Here in Georgia you can get a PolyMoog for about $250 - $350 instead of $900 or more on Ebay . Usually it makes it that high because the person who is trying to beat you has more shit in their head rather than brains . Auctions are not a good standard to go by . Use you're head , look at the newspapers , music stores , and Harmony Central ( becareful and get ALL seller info ) and drive around to Pawn Shops . You WILL find what you want .

#3620 - 04/10/03 11:46 AM Re: What happened to the American Synth Manufactures?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I did my my ARP AXXE on ebay 3 years ago for $250.00. And I bought my OMNI from a Pawn Shop for $150.00.

I have gotten lucky on ebay a couple of times, but 800dv is right that there are people who are dumb enough to pay a high price just to get on particular item. Especialy with ebay expanding and reaching a broader audience.

Although buying from a Music Store or a Pawn shop is not easy for some people, who may not live near a music store or Pawn shop and have to rely on the Internet. I had one bad experience with a Pawn Shop my omni was dead, but they told me it worked. Big mistake, I should have been more assertive. But I did get it working, but it cost me $195.00. Plus it now has two dead keys. Plus finding vintage music gear in a music store is getting harder too. I live an hour form Baltimore MD in Frederick MD. So I usually go to Bill's Music house I have seen a few vinatge peices ther but not many. Usually one or two. I remember back in the early 90's when vinatge synths were not popular they had several vinatge synths. Of course I did not have the money at the time, and a lot of their used gear tends to still be price high. Well more then I am willing to spend. So I keep looking until I find what I want at a price that I want. Even if it's ebay, or a music store.

#3621 - 04/10/03 02:09 PM Re: What happened to the American Synth Manufactures?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Ebay can be cool if you are careful .

#3622 - 04/10/03 08:27 PM Re: What happened to the American Synth Manufactures?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea I am very carefull. I only bid on auctions That have a feeback rating higher then 20 and have a Star next to their user ID or are Power sellers. Plus they have pictures and very good descriptions. I have even found a few Musical Instrument Bussniess selling on ebay. Sometimes Pawn Shops as well.

The people I look out of have zero or negative feedback, shades next too their User ID and no picture and to short a descrpition.

So yes I scrutenize every auction very carefully. I am not one to just jump in and bid on an item with out reading the feedback rateing. Unless of course it is higher then mine.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online