SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#361774 - 02/19/13 11:10 AM Watch out for Blue Herons!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
After having Koi for over 30 years, one mean old blue heron cleaned me out!

I lost 32 Koi...some over 30 years old, and over 30" long.

My dog, Gracie, a Great Pyrenees, used to scare predators off, but some unnamed neighbor notified noise abatement and I got a letter from the city saying that, after two more warnings and stiff fines, they would take the dog (must be a new neighbor-Ive had the dog for 6 years, with no complaints).

Anyway, watch out for Heron if you have a pond. I'm researching ways to protect from them now. The replacement cost of the fish is over $10,000.00.

If you don't think you can miss fish or be sad when you lose them, YOU'RE WRONG!

Russ (fishless) Lay

#361886 - 02/20/13 02:07 PM Re: Watch out for Blue Herons! [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ ... I had a similar experience a few years ago, but on a much smaller scale ... Had 6 koi in a small pond... went on vacation and my b-i-l was going to feed the fish ... first day out he calls and says there are only two koi in the pond and there was no sign of any of them ... a few days later there was only one ... I get home and about a day or two later I go to feed the one and it is GONE! ... I look around and find half a fish on my lawn ... talking to some neighbors I find out that there was a heron spotted in different locations in the neighborhood...

Some pond owners have taken to stringing fishing line about six inches to 10 up across their ponds ... if the heron hits it they just fly off ...
Ironically, in this case the fishing line is SAVING the fish ... grin

#361888 - 02/20/13 02:50 PM Re: Watch out for Blue Herons! [Re: tony mads usa]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
A local park has a string/fishing line grid setup over a pond there to keep geese from landing in it, and thus they stay out of the park along with their droppings...

#361891 - 02/20/13 03:12 PM Re: Watch out for Blue Herons! [Re: sparky589]

I started keeping my dog inside about three weeks ago. I have been in this house for 12 years, with no problem before.

I've had Koi for over 30 years.

Time to start over, I guess.

Russ

#361932 - 02/21/13 08:43 AM Re: Watch out for Blue Herons! [Re: BBBB]

I heard that, Brian. I've just ordered some fake ones. Been told you have to move them around to be effective.

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online