SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#361806 - 02/19/13 06:52 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hmmmmmm! Maybe I shouldn't go home, after-all. Might end up dead. Nah! She still loves me. And, Tony, what's that old saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." I'll take bets on open arms - and it will be 7 months by the time I get home. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#361810 - 02/19/13 07:25 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just tell her about the brutal headwinds, and why you had to stay... LOL

#361838 - 02/20/13 04:18 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Rfinnshw Online   elvis

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Capt. Gary,

Thanks for your update, and the beautiful pics.

I really admire your ambition.

Ron, Port St. Lucie, FL

clap

#361855 - 02/20/13 09:19 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: Rfinnshw]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... just wondering - what is your play list when you are playing down there? ...

#361866 - 02/20/13 10:49 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]

There is no specific list, but I usually perform about a half-dozen Jimmy Buffett songs, Margarettaville, A Pirate Looks At 40, He Went To Paris, Come Monday, Pencil Thin Mustache, Fins.

Lots of 50s, 60s, 70s, slow rock for the dancers, an Elvis medley, a fair number of upbeat 60s, 70s stuff, some CCR, Fats Domino favorites, Chubby Checkers favorites, etc... I'll mix it up with lots of country favorites, some bluegrass, Rockytop, Devil Went Down To Georgia, Good Hearted Woman, and of course, some island music. Usually, about the middle of the job, when the crowd has downed a few happy hour drinks, I'll do Hot Hot Hot, which frequently creates a large conga line that snakes through the poolside seating and the bar area. Essentially, I play what they want to hear and dance to.

Ironically, from northern Maryland to Marathon, Florida, the audiences tend to want to hear the same type of music. Granted, the songs vary, but the style and age of the songs are about the same everywhere I've traveled. I suspect it's the same in New England, the midwest and southwest as well. California, I'm not quite sure about, but I'm guessing that in the northern part of the state it would be about the same. And I know that Oregon and Washington are no different than the mid-Atlantic region. When I lived in Spokane, WA country music dominated the scene, probably more so than Bossier City, LA. If you can play and sing country, you're not going to have a problem pretty much everywhere you perform.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#361869 - 02/20/13 11:15 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ironically, I play for a large Parrothead organization once a month up here, but only perform a few Buffett tunes. Margaritaville (of course!), Volcano, Havana Daydreaming, Pirate, things like that.

I've got a bunch more, but oddly enough, the organizers have often come to me and said that they enjoy that I don't play a lot of Buffett! Who knew?! A Parrothead bunch that don't want to hear Buffett constantly!

I'm in Heaven!

#361871 - 02/20/13 11:20 AM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]

I agree, Diki. I think the same holds true everywhere, even down here in Parrot-Head land.

Gary cool

#361881 - 02/20/13 01:26 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: Diki]
Rfinnshw Online   elvis

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Diki,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Parrothead organization.

I would never have guessed that they would request that you not play a lot of "Buffett music."

I would be in heaven too.

Ron
headphone

#361890 - 02/20/13 03:08 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: Rfinnshw]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Be like me, guys...just refuse to play it! I get lots of calls from places who want me because I don't do Buffet, and that's all most other folks do.

Not me!

Russ

#361892 - 02/20/13 03:38 PM Re: Just two weeks left in Paradise... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ,
I don't blame you - Jimmy Buffett doesn't ever play YOUR songs either!
smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online