SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#361539 - 02/17/13 09:18 AM G70 video..interesting example of playing live.
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

This guy plays left hand bass...making good use of one touch settings, and the flexability of turning off/on the 6 parts for each one touch selection..(24 options set up for each one touch setting)..

Notice how full his sound is with no arranger parts playing ..other than drums.

This is my favorite way to perform..

Edited by Fran Carango (02/17/13 09:22 AM)

#361547 - 02/17/13 10:16 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
So show us a video of YOU performing this Fran smile if it is your favourite should be pretty easy and straightforward....no dissing meant, just interested...

Dennis

#361557 - 02/17/13 12:39 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: miden]
Fran Carango Offline

Okay Dennis...now show me yours smile

I usually play this way ..most of the time..just comes naturally...ex accordion player.. grin

#361569 - 02/17/13 05:53 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Okay Dennis...now show me yours smile
I usually play this way ..most of the time..just comes naturally...ex accordion player.. grin

Nice job Fran... clap great song too well done! LH Bass takes songs to another level..

#361575 - 02/17/13 07:02 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OK... you want LH bass? Here's a couple of tracks I did with an old band. In one of our home studios, but everything laid down live. Acoustic bass LH, piano RH, one take.

This was my old G1000.

Enjoy.

(Blue Sky I had to edit down to fit the 6MB size. Sorry!)

Attachments
Blue Sky edit.mp3 (92 downloads)
15 Mexico.mp3 (73 downloads)

#361585 - 02/17/13 08:44 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

http://francarango.homestead.com/Fran_and_Jessie.mp3

Here is a link to a 1985 recording (and pic)...Back then...it was all left hand bass and a drum machine.. smile

That day of recording Jessie was a trooper..she was sick as a dog..Uncle Dave's studio...and a Casio keyboard for EP.
PS: I was a Roland dealer back then...but Dave had a Casio set up already...I think I was using a JX10..and also a pair of Juno2's...and my trusty SH101 for bass..when I was working with Jessie..

I lost Jessie and the beard grin

Attachments
ME_and_Jessie_op_640x805.jpg

Edited by Fran Carango (02/17/13 08:52 PM)

#361591 - 02/17/13 09:44 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Nice Fran, thanks - Bossa is such a cruisy bass line to play -
I might do one, one day smile

As I said no dissing just interested to hear it is all smile

Dennis

#361592 - 02/17/13 09:49 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
OK... you want LH bass? Here's a couple of tracks I did with an old band. In one of our home studios, but everything laid down live. Acoustic bass LH, piano RH, one take.

This was my old G1000.

Enjoy.

Nice Diki...I didn't know the G1000 had a velocity switching bass...shows how far in front Roland were back then!!

There were a few little bends in there as well I noticed, or were you using it (just a normal bass sample patch) in mono with porta on slow? I didn't hear any break in the piano part to allow for the bend lever so I just wondered...

Nice job though - good vocalist and a really good mix I thought smile

Dennis

#361597 - 02/17/13 11:44 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

This was my old G1000.

Enjoy.

Great work. I liked the vocals a lot too.
DonM

#361598 - 02/17/13 11:47 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

Here is a link to a 1985 recording (and pic)...Back then...it was all left hand bass and a drum machine.. smile

That day of recording Jessie was a trooper..she was sick as a dog..Uncle Dave's studio...and a Casio keyboard for EP.
PS: I was a Roland dealer back then...but Dave had a Casio set up already...I think I was using a JX10..and also a pair of Juno2's...and my trusty SH101 for bass..when I was working with Jessie..

I like Jessie AND the beard!
Music good too.
DonM

#361612 - 02/18/13 05:55 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

This was my old G1000.

Enjoy.

Diki these studio versions are all well and good ....
but personally I would want to hear something played solo maybe trio style, LH bass/Drums, Piano, Organ etc,.. on the G70 off the cuff like Fran did with just you and your G70 LH Bass vs full produced songs from back in the day? I think that would give us a better idea of what were talking about.
Thanx for sharing your work.

Edited by Dnj (02/18/13 06:13 AM)

#361613 - 02/18/13 05:57 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Adam Sandler look alike? rotf2

#361614 - 02/18/13 06:09 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
124 Offline

Just to echo the other guys, nice pro job, Diki. Not familiar with either of the songs, well I've heard Mexico before but can't say I know it well. But hey, it's all in the performance.

I love one-takes, they're so 'real'. You've got to be on your game. Reminded me of the old BBC days, five songs ready-to-air in five hours. smile

#361623 - 02/18/13 07:19 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

No bend lever! Just fingering, Dennis. Wish Roland's had the footpedal bends that Yamaha's can do (but few use, LOL), but basically, tie up your hands, no bends for you!

The acoustic bass patch in the G1000 (it's called V Wild Ac. Bass and is in the G70, and called Wild Ac.Bs in the BK series) isn't really a V-switch... it just adds in a bit of click as you whack it harder. It is my go to bass for acoustic guitar duos and bands (played a bunch of those), blends in well, supports without overwhelming, but when you want to get noticed, lean on it a hair, and you pop out nicely.

Appreciate the kind words about the mix. Those were mine.

Blue Sky is an Allman Brothers Band song (off 'Eat a Peach'), Mexico is, of course, one of James Taylor's hits.

Strangely, I went through most of my career not doing LH bass. Always had a good bass player. But 1999, got offered a gig on Bourbon St. with a 10 piece, but the catch was, no bass player! The previous keyboard player had a great LH, and they used it to allow them to swell the horn section. Despite admitting to the MD that this would be a new thing for me, they hired me, and I ended up doing 5-6 nights a week in one of N.O.'s hottest clubs. High energy R&B, soul, bit of Top 40. The drummer was a monster, and I had some serious shedding to do!

But I pulled it off after a fair bit of work, and since then, have done quite a few extended gigs doing LH bass. I have to admit, I prefer having a bass player, but the technical exercise is always fun when I have to do it. Schizophrenia has its up side!

BTW, reminds me of an old joke... How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb? None! Keyboard player unscrews it with his left hand!

#361641 - 02/18/13 08:16 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Thanks for explaining that Diki...Now that you say the name of remember that bass from the g70 I had as well as the bk7m...it IS a nice patch to actually play.

Blue Sky is a nice tune too..

Again thanks smile I must post up some stuff too hey!

Dennis

#361651 - 02/18/13 08:55 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Donny... it's not exactly a fully produced production! Two guitarists (both acoustic, but one used an effect for the solo in Blue Sky) and a drummer. Doesn't get more basic than that.

If I want to entertain (my audience or myself!) totally by myself, no machines, no nothing... I'd rather just sit down at the piano. Once you add any machine, even just drums, and you start doing the LH bass thing, I find I like to have a guitar in there too. What better than the real thing!

#361666 - 02/18/13 09:21 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Donny... it's not exactly a fully produced production! Two guitarists (both acoustic, but one used an effect for the solo in Blue Sky) and a drummer. Doesn't get more basic than that.

If I want to entertain (my audience or myself!) totally by myself, no machines, no nothing... I'd rather just sit down at the piano. Once you add any machine, even just drums, and you start doing the LH bass thing, I find I like to have a guitar in there too. What better than the real thing!

So I guess thats a no..:( oh well just trying to examin a few forms of LH bass playing by different people...I myself although done it with a due for aboyt 5 years using a
Yamaha old CS-01 synth
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/cs1.php
never liked that style of playing vs a real bass player in my bands or as a OMb ...

#361694 - 02/18/13 12:32 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

This guy plays left hand bass...making good use of one touch settings, and the flexability of turning off/on the 6 parts for each one touch selection..(24 options set up for each one touch setting)..

If thats your favourite way to perform, you´re way better off with a workstation...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#361697 - 02/18/13 12:57 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Bachus... a workstation doesn't do the 'variations and fills' thing, even just for the drums. That's the beauty of arrangers, even if all you use is drums... each style, some Intros (even if it's just a count-off and a pickup), four building variations, fills that go smoothly from one to the other, and some ending patterns. Break/Fills, too.

There isn't a WS out there that can do that, let alone one with enough content already in to do a song in most styles OOTB.

Yes, you get loops in WS, but so far, none of them (AFAIK) allow you to drop in and out of fills at any point in the bar. Everything HAS to be cued up a bar in advance. That's very different to arrangers...

I have asked for the longest time for Roland (or anyone) to make a simple drum machine built on arranger principles. So far, there's a few out there with TWO variations and two fills (or one fill, not sure now) but none with four. None with intros or count-ins, none with ending patterns. Hard to believe they missed this opportunity. There are a lot of bands that would be all over that, particularly with a two footswitch option to go up and down a variation.

Maybe it won't be long before WS loop/arp players allow for entry into a loop at any point in the bar and it remain in sync, and allow for one shot loops to have pre-programmed destinations (or fills, as we call them!) but no luck so far!

#361706 - 02/18/13 01:15 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

If thats your favourite way to perform, you´re way better off with a workstation...

Bachus, I come from a long line of workstations...they served their purpose...but as Diki mentioned...not even close to the flow we get from top model arranger keyboards..

#361707 - 02/18/13 02:10 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Personally I don't really see much of a difference between using motif XS/XF or a Kronos to what this guy is doing???

I mean all he has done is layer some sounds in the right to give a bit more fullness, with the odd patch/combi change for variation and he is doing nothing really amazing with the bass sounds, and is really only changing drum beats and feels with pre-programmed midi drums???

These things can be achieved on either of those two models using the arpeggiator system and master mode on the Yammies, or Karma on the Kronos.

And Fran WS's have come a LONG way since you last used one wink

Dennis

#361709 - 02/18/13 02:21 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Dennis... it's about the drums.

Yes, everything else, and a WS has decided superiorities (at a cost in complexity), but for doing smooth flowing drums, with fills where you feel like, there's still nothing to match the arranger.

#361710 - 02/18/13 02:24 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Karma is pretty damn good Diki, AND it has the huge advantage of not simply repeating preset patterns continuously. They can be set to evolve naturally during play so that the pattern when you start a module is quite different to the one when you move to another module or reset the one you are playing.

All in real time and without any intervention!!

Dennis

#361711 - 02/18/13 02:34 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Know it well Dennis. BUT....

It's not a direct replacement for the arranger control of drums. Great with loops, evolving textures, you name it, but you can't do fills, intros, endings on the fly easily, and it comes with very little usable content for what most of us here do!

I think that user intervention is VERY important. I don't want a machine making decisions about what it is going to do without consulting me first! At least about where it is going to fill or pickup, and what pattern it's going to next!

#361717 - 02/18/13 02:52 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Whatever man ... you know it well. Nothing more to say then...

D

#361719 - 02/18/13 02:59 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: miden]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
Personally I don't really see much of a difference between using motif XS/XF or a Kronos to what this guy is doing???

I mean all he has done is layer some sounds in the right to give a bit more fullness, with the odd patch/combi change for variation and he is doing nothing really amazing with the bass sounds, and is really only changing drum beats and feels with pre-programmed midi drums???

Dennis , my last two workstations ...Roland Fantom x6, and Korg Triton Studio 76....and I guess I should mention the one I still have ..MS..
These things can be achieved on either of those two models using the arpeggiator system and master mode on the Yammies, or Karma on the Kronos.

And Fran WS's have come a LONG way since you last used one wink

Dennis

#361721 - 02/18/13 03:05 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Don't get me wrong, Dennis. I LOVE what Karma (especially the new one in the Kronos) can do. I'm not putting it down at all. But it's swings and roundabouts. What Karma can do, an arranger can't. But what an arranger CAN do, Karma can't either. They both are great. But at different things.

I'd love to hear you tie the two together, and get the best of both worlds at the same time!

#361726 - 02/18/13 03:25 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Just a tip - go to karma labs and check out Karma 3.0 exclusively for the Yamaha XS/XF - it will NOT be released for any Korg keyboard..

It does fills and endings and a lot more besides smile

http://www.karma-lab.com/karmasoft/kmo/video.html

#361733 - 02/18/13 04:12 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

I wish he'd let you have a user defined Karma. Bet you this and my G70 (there's a lot of MIDI hooks into the voice architecture) would be killer...

Either I missed it or something, but where's the Karma3 info?

#361736 - 02/18/13 05:30 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

And any korg arranger wink

what info are you looking for? there was plenty at that link..

example:

Generate unique musical effects in real-time including: full-blown backing tracks, techno arpeggios & effects; dynamic drum/bass/synth grooves; dense rhythmic & melodic textures; natural sounding glissandos; guitar strumming and finger-picking; random effects; auto-accompaniment effects; gliding portamento and pitch bend effects.
Includes 491 Generated Effects (GEs, the individual phrase patterns) and 64 Performances using the Motif's Song/Mixing mode, where each of the 64 songs is a complete, 16 part multi-track KARMA algorithmic music groove. Each Performance features six KARMA Modules, with a left hand and right hand zone for controlling KARMA and soloing on top of it, and eight fully voiced and completely different scenes. The Motif's arps are also integrated in each Performance as additional elements that can be triggered via the Intelligent Chord Trigger Transposition features. And since you are already in Song Mode, you're just one step away from recording your KARMA-fied musical performances into the Motif's sequencer - or you can route the output to any DAW for external sequencing. Furthermore, a KARMA Performance can call up any Motif Voice, Performance, Song, Pattern, or Master slot when loading, so that KARMA can be used in any of the Motif's modes.
KARMA Motif also debuts the newest, most advanced, third-generation KARMA 3.0 technology with a host of new features including:
8-track design (6 KARMA Modules, 2 Keyboard Layers) per Performance
Per-track Volumes and Mutes stored in each of the 32 Scenes
Fill Feature - use one or more modules as a melodic or drum fill
Advanced Stutter Feature - rapidly "stutter" the entire groove at different rhythmic resolutions
Master Transpose - play in one key, generate output in another, switchable in real-time
Intelligent Chord Trigger Transposition - control the Motif's arps, hits and SFX
Performance Notes Feature - integrated detailed documentation for each Performance
Remote Control Mode - maps the Motif's Remote Mode to all of KARMA's interactive features
Extensively redesigned Single Window Interface
Access 400+ KARMA GE parameters for impressive musical results.
Graphical editing and creation of Drum Patterns, Rhythm Patterns, Duration Patterns, Index Patterns, Cluster Patterns, Velocity Patterns, CC Patterns, Wave-Sequence Patterns, Envelopes, Note Maps, and more!
Create new GEs, and edit existing GEs into new configurations.
Import phrases and drum grooves exported from the Motif's internal sequencer, or from any .MID source (such as external sequencers) and transform them into KARMA GEs. Automatically assign GE Parameters and RTC Models and instantly begin varying your phrase in the amazingly interactive KARMA manner.
Captivating, real-time visual display of the generated MIDI data.
Popup tooltips and context-sensitive Help provide comprehensive documentation of all features.
Available for both Mac OS X and Windows platforms. See Minimum System Requirements.

#361739 - 02/18/13 06:49 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Sorry guys...I still am not a fan of Karma...Arps and Stutter...anoys me to no end..

There is not a venue that I work that this will do..

It is for noise artist...Modern day useless music...scratching DJ stuff, and boring arps ..same old ..same old...

As you can tell.. for me...NOT!!!

Same thing as I disliked on the workstations I owned..even the JunoG and Juno Stage....Arps and chord assigned keys....They just don't work for me...

I honestly can't think of any musician friends ..that would want to take a Karma anything to a job..

PS: I did watch the video..almost made it to the end, but the repetition got to me...

#361740 - 02/18/13 07:25 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

No offence Fran, but that is the view of yet another person who really has no idea of what Karma can do, apart from the Noise Artist stuff as you call it...

It can do jazz swing just as well - even a Bossa wink

By the way, not related but check this link... no karma but you want left hand bass....sheesh
http://www.karma-lab.com/vp/klvp2.html

Back to your post.....

rotf2 Chord assigned keys?? And the arranger does what??????

Dennis

#361742 - 02/18/13 08:20 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: miden]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By: miden
No offence Fran, but that is the view of yet another person who really has no idea of what Karma can do, apart from the Noise Artist stuff as you call it...

It can do jazz swing just as well - even a Bossa wink

By the way, not related but check this link... no karma but you want left hand bass....sheesh
http://www.karma-lab.com/vp/klvp2.html

Dennis, My chord assigned keys comment was about the Juno's...and much different than arranger features..

Karma is just too busy, and not musical to me...For guys that what to perform with groove boxes, maybe Karma will work for them...no one that I know will want to use Karma to gig...

Why would you not rather play over sequences...than unpredictable random arps...Like I said not for me...

If this stuff makes you happy..buy into it..

BTW: Karma didn't help Open Labs...they folded, shortly after incorporated Karma...coincidence I guess..

#361744 - 02/18/13 08:30 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Dennis, BTW: although similar...I used a bequine drum pattern, and not a bossanova on my video clip.. smile

#361747 - 02/18/13 09:30 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

ahh well it was really only a figure of speech (the bossa reference) , but fair enough wink

#361749 - 02/18/13 09:32 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

That's the thing it (Karma)can be as predictable or as unpredictable as you like...USER choice, not factory choice smile

Unfortunately you are painting this with such wildly generic references that is is not really worth saying much more...

I still enjoyed your demo though smile

Dennis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online