SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#361707 - 02/18/13 02:10 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Personally I don't really see much of a difference between using motif XS/XF or a Kronos to what this guy is doing???

I mean all he has done is layer some sounds in the right to give a bit more fullness, with the odd patch/combi change for variation and he is doing nothing really amazing with the bass sounds, and is really only changing drum beats and feels with pre-programmed midi drums???

These things can be achieved on either of those two models using the arpeggiator system and master mode on the Yammies, or Karma on the Kronos.

And Fran WS's have come a LONG way since you last used one wink

Dennis

#361709 - 02/18/13 02:21 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Dennis... it's about the drums.

Yes, everything else, and a WS has decided superiorities (at a cost in complexity), but for doing smooth flowing drums, with fills where you feel like, there's still nothing to match the arranger.

#361710 - 02/18/13 02:24 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Karma is pretty damn good Diki, AND it has the huge advantage of not simply repeating preset patterns continuously. They can be set to evolve naturally during play so that the pattern when you start a module is quite different to the one when you move to another module or reset the one you are playing.

All in real time and without any intervention!!

Dennis

#361711 - 02/18/13 02:34 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Know it well Dennis. BUT....

It's not a direct replacement for the arranger control of drums. Great with loops, evolving textures, you name it, but you can't do fills, intros, endings on the fly easily, and it comes with very little usable content for what most of us here do!

I think that user intervention is VERY important. I don't want a machine making decisions about what it is going to do without consulting me first! At least about where it is going to fill or pickup, and what pattern it's going to next!

#361717 - 02/18/13 02:52 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Whatever man ... you know it well. Nothing more to say then...

D

#361719 - 02/18/13 02:59 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: miden]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: miden
Personally I don't really see much of a difference between using motif XS/XF or a Kronos to what this guy is doing???

I mean all he has done is layer some sounds in the right to give a bit more fullness, with the odd patch/combi change for variation and he is doing nothing really amazing with the bass sounds, and is really only changing drum beats and feels with pre-programmed midi drums???

Dennis , my last two workstations ...Roland Fantom x6, and Korg Triton Studio 76....and I guess I should mention the one I still have ..MS..
These things can be achieved on either of those two models using the arpeggiator system and master mode on the Yammies, or Karma on the Kronos.

And Fran WS's have come a LONG way since you last used one wink

Dennis

#361721 - 02/18/13 03:05 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Don't get me wrong, Dennis. I LOVE what Karma (especially the new one in the Kronos) can do. I'm not putting it down at all. But it's swings and roundabouts. What Karma can do, an arranger can't. But what an arranger CAN do, Karma can't either. They both are great. But at different things.

I'd love to hear you tie the two together, and get the best of both worlds at the same time!

#361726 - 02/18/13 03:25 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Just a tip - go to karma labs and check out Karma 3.0 exclusively for the Yamaha XS/XF - it will NOT be released for any Korg keyboard..

It does fills and endings and a lot more besides smile

http://www.karma-lab.com/karmasoft/kmo/video.html

#361733 - 02/18/13 04:12 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

I wish he'd let you have a user defined Karma. Bet you this and my G70 (there's a lot of MIDI hooks into the voice architecture) would be killer...

Either I missed it or something, but where's the Karma3 info?

#361736 - 02/18/13 05:30 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

And any korg arranger wink

what info are you looking for? there was plenty at that link..

example:

Generate unique musical effects in real-time including: full-blown backing tracks, techno arpeggios & effects; dynamic drum/bass/synth grooves; dense rhythmic & melodic textures; natural sounding glissandos; guitar strumming and finger-picking; random effects; auto-accompaniment effects; gliding portamento and pitch bend effects.
Includes 491 Generated Effects (GEs, the individual phrase patterns) and 64 Performances using the Motif's Song/Mixing mode, where each of the 64 songs is a complete, 16 part multi-track KARMA algorithmic music groove. Each Performance features six KARMA Modules, with a left hand and right hand zone for controlling KARMA and soloing on top of it, and eight fully voiced and completely different scenes. The Motif's arps are also integrated in each Performance as additional elements that can be triggered via the Intelligent Chord Trigger Transposition features. And since you are already in Song Mode, you're just one step away from recording your KARMA-fied musical performances into the Motif's sequencer - or you can route the output to any DAW for external sequencing. Furthermore, a KARMA Performance can call up any Motif Voice, Performance, Song, Pattern, or Master slot when loading, so that KARMA can be used in any of the Motif's modes.
KARMA Motif also debuts the newest, most advanced, third-generation KARMA 3.0 technology with a host of new features including:
8-track design (6 KARMA Modules, 2 Keyboard Layers) per Performance
Per-track Volumes and Mutes stored in each of the 32 Scenes
Fill Feature - use one or more modules as a melodic or drum fill
Advanced Stutter Feature - rapidly "stutter" the entire groove at different rhythmic resolutions
Master Transpose - play in one key, generate output in another, switchable in real-time
Intelligent Chord Trigger Transposition - control the Motif's arps, hits and SFX
Performance Notes Feature - integrated detailed documentation for each Performance
Remote Control Mode - maps the Motif's Remote Mode to all of KARMA's interactive features
Extensively redesigned Single Window Interface
Access 400+ KARMA GE parameters for impressive musical results.
Graphical editing and creation of Drum Patterns, Rhythm Patterns, Duration Patterns, Index Patterns, Cluster Patterns, Velocity Patterns, CC Patterns, Wave-Sequence Patterns, Envelopes, Note Maps, and more!
Create new GEs, and edit existing GEs into new configurations.
Import phrases and drum grooves exported from the Motif's internal sequencer, or from any .MID source (such as external sequencers) and transform them into KARMA GEs. Automatically assign GE Parameters and RTC Models and instantly begin varying your phrase in the amazingly interactive KARMA manner.
Captivating, real-time visual display of the generated MIDI data.
Popup tooltips and context-sensitive Help provide comprehensive documentation of all features.
Available for both Mac OS X and Windows platforms. See Minimum System Requirements.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online