SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#361612 - 02/18/13 05:55 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
OK... you want LH bass? Here's a couple of tracks I did with an old band. In one of our home studios, but everything laid down live. Acoustic bass LH, piano RH, one take.

This was my old G1000.

Enjoy.

(Blue Sky I had to edit down to fit the 6MB size. Sorry!)

Diki these studio versions are all well and good ....
but personally I would want to hear something played solo maybe trio style, LH bass/Drums, Piano, Organ etc,.. on the G70 off the cuff like Fran did with just you and your G70 LH Bass vs full produced songs from back in the day? I think that would give us a better idea of what were talking about.
Thanx for sharing your work.

Edited by Dnj (02/18/13 06:13 AM)

#361613 - 02/18/13 05:57 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
http://francarango.homestead.com/Fran_and_Jessie.mp3

Here is a link to a 1985 recording (and pic)...Back then...it was all left hand bass and a drum machine.. smile

That day of recording Jessie was a trooper..she was sick as a dog..Uncle Dave's studio...and a Casio keyboard for EP.
PS: I was a Roland dealer back then...but Dave had a Casio set up already...I think I was using a JX10..and also a pair of Juno2's...and my trusty SH101 for bass..when I was working with Jessie..

I lost Jessie and the beard grin

Adam Sandler look alike? rotf2

#361614 - 02/18/13 06:09 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
124 Offline

Just to echo the other guys, nice pro job, Diki. Not familiar with either of the songs, well I've heard Mexico before but can't say I know it well. But hey, it's all in the performance.

I love one-takes, they're so 'real'. You've got to be on your game. Reminded me of the old BBC days, five songs ready-to-air in five hours. smile

#361623 - 02/18/13 07:19 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No bend lever! Just fingering, Dennis. Wish Roland's had the footpedal bends that Yamaha's can do (but few use, LOL), but basically, tie up your hands, no bends for you!

The acoustic bass patch in the G1000 (it's called V Wild Ac. Bass and is in the G70, and called Wild Ac.Bs in the BK series) isn't really a V-switch... it just adds in a bit of click as you whack it harder. It is my go to bass for acoustic guitar duos and bands (played a bunch of those), blends in well, supports without overwhelming, but when you want to get noticed, lean on it a hair, and you pop out nicely.

Appreciate the kind words about the mix. Those were mine.

Blue Sky is an Allman Brothers Band song (off 'Eat a Peach'), Mexico is, of course, one of James Taylor's hits.

Strangely, I went through most of my career not doing LH bass. Always had a good bass player. But 1999, got offered a gig on Bourbon St. with a 10 piece, but the catch was, no bass player! The previous keyboard player had a great LH, and they used it to allow them to swell the horn section. Despite admitting to the MD that this would be a new thing for me, they hired me, and I ended up doing 5-6 nights a week in one of N.O.'s hottest clubs. High energy R&B, soul, bit of Top 40. The drummer was a monster, and I had some serious shedding to do!

But I pulled it off after a fair bit of work, and since then, have done quite a few extended gigs doing LH bass. I have to admit, I prefer having a bass player, but the technical exercise is always fun when I have to do it. Schizophrenia has its up side!

BTW, reminds me of an old joke... How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb? None! Keyboard player unscrews it with his left hand!

#361641 - 02/18/13 08:16 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Thanks for explaining that Diki...Now that you say the name of remember that bass from the g70 I had as well as the bk7m...it IS a nice patch to actually play.

Blue Sky is a nice tune too..

Again thanks smile I must post up some stuff too hey!

Dennis

#361651 - 02/18/13 08:55 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Donny... it's not exactly a fully produced production! Two guitarists (both acoustic, but one used an effect for the solo in Blue Sky) and a drummer. Doesn't get more basic than that.

If I want to entertain (my audience or myself!) totally by myself, no machines, no nothing... I'd rather just sit down at the piano. Once you add any machine, even just drums, and you start doing the LH bass thing, I find I like to have a guitar in there too. What better than the real thing!

#361666 - 02/18/13 09:21 AM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Donny... it's not exactly a fully produced production! Two guitarists (both acoustic, but one used an effect for the solo in Blue Sky) and a drummer. Doesn't get more basic than that.

If I want to entertain (my audience or myself!) totally by myself, no machines, no nothing... I'd rather just sit down at the piano. Once you add any machine, even just drums, and you start doing the LH bass thing, I find I like to have a guitar in there too. What better than the real thing!

So I guess thats a no..:( oh well just trying to examin a few forms of LH bass playing by different people...I myself although done it with a due for aboyt 5 years using a
Yamaha old CS-01 synth
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/cs1.php
never liked that style of playing vs a real bass player in my bands or as a OMb ...

#361694 - 02/18/13 12:32 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

This guy plays left hand bass...making good use of one touch settings, and the flexability of turning off/on the 6 parts for each one touch selection..(24 options set up for each one touch setting)..

Notice how full his sound is with no arranger parts playing ..other than drums.

This is my favorite way to perform..

If thats your favourite way to perform, you´re way better off with a workstation...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#361697 - 02/18/13 12:57 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Bachus... a workstation doesn't do the 'variations and fills' thing, even just for the drums. That's the beauty of arrangers, even if all you use is drums... each style, some Intros (even if it's just a count-off and a pickup), four building variations, fills that go smoothly from one to the other, and some ending patterns. Break/Fills, too.

There isn't a WS out there that can do that, let alone one with enough content already in to do a song in most styles OOTB.

Yes, you get loops in WS, but so far, none of them (AFAIK) allow you to drop in and out of fills at any point in the bar. Everything HAS to be cued up a bar in advance. That's very different to arrangers...

I have asked for the longest time for Roland (or anyone) to make a simple drum machine built on arranger principles. So far, there's a few out there with TWO variations and two fills (or one fill, not sure now) but none with four. None with intros or count-ins, none with ending patterns. Hard to believe they missed this opportunity. There are a lot of bands that would be all over that, particularly with a two footswitch option to go up and down a variation.

Maybe it won't be long before WS loop/arp players allow for entry into a loop at any point in the bar and it remain in sync, and allow for one shot loops to have pre-programmed destinations (or fills, as we call them!) but no luck so far!

#361706 - 02/18/13 01:15 PM Re: G70 video..interesting example of playing live. [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus

This guy plays left hand bass...making good use of one touch settings, and the flexability of turning off/on the 6 parts for each one touch selection..(24 options set up for each one touch setting)..

Notice how full his sound is with no arranger parts playing ..other than drums.

This is my favorite way to perform..

If thats your favourite way to perform, you´re way better off with a workstation...

Bachus, I come from a long line of workstations...they served their purpose...but as Diki mentioned...not even close to the flow we get from top model arranger keyboards..

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online