Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#361423 - 02/15/13 08:53 PM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
billyhank Offline

??

#361426 - 02/15/13 10:30 PM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Heard enough Ketron demos here. It's rubbish to say you need to be there in person. Or would my saying that you need to hear a BK or a G70 in person before you judge it make any difference? And am I not an audience?

There are some great styles in an Audya. There are some naff ones too. There are some great styles in a BK-7m or G70. Some not so good, too. There are RH sounds that are splendid in an Audya. And some that aren't. Same with the BK's.

Sorry, but unless you've heard my audience's reaction to the G70, perhaps you aren't going to get it? Bottom line... it's got virtually nothing to do with the gear, and 99% to do with the player. If you can't get a good audience reaction from a Roland or a Korg, or a Yamaha, perhaps it's the player?

#361427 - 02/16/13 12:58 AM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The only way to find out if any arranger suits what you want is to try it yourself, forget MP3 or YouTube demos as in most cases they have little in common with the real deal, hence you find EBay is littered with new arrangers that have been sold on because they did not match the demos, or on the other side, users of arrangers cannot understand why others find certain models lack lustre (Usually after hearing MP3 or YouTube demos) when it does everything and more they could ever wish for.

Yes it’s perfectly acceptable to comment on MP3 and YouTube demos, so long as you remember you are commenting on the demo, NOT the real instrument.

You wouldn’t buy a quality audio system without hearing and trying it first hand, and an arranger is no different.

As to which is better (Audio or Midi) then both have advantages and disadvantages, which is why in professional studios and film production they use both, so forget about my Audio is better than your Midi (And vice versa) and just enjoy what suits you.

Bill

#361429 - 02/16/13 03:14 AM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Diki]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By: Diki
it's got virtually nothing to do with the gear, and 99% to do with the player. If you can't get a good audience reaction from a Roland or a Korg, or a Yamaha, perhaps it's the player?

smile smile smile

John

#361456 - 02/16/13 10:26 AM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Sorry Bill... not true. Most of us listen to music through the internet. Streaming audio sounds just fine. IF... it is recorded and encoded well.

Most of us have our entire iTunes collection encoded at bitrates not much better than a decent web demo. Sure, use a smartphone's built in mic in a noisy NAMM hall, and it's going to sound like dog doo. But record to MP3 direct from the jacks, and you have the same audio quality as a decent rip of your favorite Reginald Dixon CD!

All my computer audio gets routed through my Mackie reference nearfields, so the speaker isn't an issue. And, I can assure you, a decently recorded MP3 of a G70 sounds EXACTLY like the G70 that is hooked up directly to those speakers.

No, I wouldn't buy an arranger without playing it first. But it has nothing to do with the audio. It is about where the buttons are, how the keybed feels, how easy is the display to see, stuff like that.

Sorry, but seeing a Wersi in person, after listening to high quality recordings of it, is not going to make me change my opinion one iota!

#361461 - 02/16/13 11:10 AM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Hi Diki

Only ever use lossless formats for my own use, (Usually FLAC) with MP3 being used for forum posts as not everybody has the FLAC Codec installed, plus the file sizes are smaller.

Not sure what Reginald Dixon and Wersi have got to do with anything.

ITunes (And other similar) I avoid like the plague as it ties you in to their way of doing things. (My pet hate)

Bill

#361470 - 02/16/13 11:55 AM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Try doing some double blind comparisons, Bill. I'm afraid that you will be amazed at how you can't tell the difference. I routinely encode at 256kbps, and other than classical stuff and stuff with huge dynamic range (which rules out ANY popular music these days!) with my 50+ year old ears, I am hard pressed to tell the difference.

Certainly, the almost imperceptible difference is not enough to justify buying a keyboard if the MP3's didn't impress.

The next time I hear a Wersi user demo that doesn't remind me of Reginald Dixon, I'll let you know! Now maybe they don't ALL sound like you are in Blackpool, but it sure seems like MOST of them do! Let's face it... Wersi players, on the whole, came through Wersi organ routes. It's the style, it's the washed out fast leslie organ lines slathered on everything, it's the sound of the holiday camp and the working men's club. Nothing WRONG with that, just sayin'!

Wersi arrangers, from what we tend to hear, seem to end up in the hands of people that would prefer a Scala! And would like to be heard rising up out of the stage floor! Of course, you COULD make any kind of music with them. Oddly enough, though, Blackpool always comes to mind when I hear the vast majority of Wersi stuff posted.

Now, I imagine you are going to go off and post a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with the theater organ. But it's not going to make up for the vast majority that do!

#361477 - 02/16/13 12:28 PM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

HI Diki

I and many others can easily hear the difference on my audio/cinema system at home, however it is a mix and match setup, not a one box setup that you get from Asda (Wall Mart).

I agree about a lot of the Wersi posts seeming to be more organ based (Even though none of them sound anywhere close to a theatre organ) however they are being played on an organ,(So not too surprising) and not the Pegasus Wing Arranger. (You will also find that over here the theatre sound packs for the Yamaha and Korg arrangers are a highly popular purchase)

The above confirms though, that the only way to see if an instrument suits is to try it for yourself, as only then will you know if it can sound and do as you want.

Bill

#361482 - 02/16/13 12:55 PM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

It's a long time past the old 96kbps or 128kbps MP3's, Bill.

Yes, there is a TINY difference between the original and an MP3, especially once you get up to those 256+kbps ones. But, so utterly unimportant as to make moot the need to hear an arranger in person before you can tell what it SOUNDS like.

#361499 - 02/16/13 03:19 PM Re: How AUDIO Drums Are Recorded? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Hi Diki

You’re missing the point, you will not know how an arranger sounds until you try it for yourself, with your type of music, this is why a lot of the US market don’t get European demos, as they are not setup and played in the style that US audiences are used to. (The big 3 on the other hand are worldwide so they setup and demo to suit each individual market)

Bill

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online