SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#361221 - 02/12/13 12:53 PM Universal Chord Sequence app...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It strikes me that it would not be that hard to code an app for the iPad (or a Windows tablet, whatever) to add a Chord Sequencer to any arranger out there.

Basically, all it has to do is slave to the arranger's tempo clock (easy), receive the NTA (notes to arranger) channel from the arranger, and loop the MIDI recording and play it back when the Play button is hit. Hardly as complicated as a full sequencer...

I'm pretty sure this would sell very well. Anyone know anyone doing MIDI app development for iPad or other devices?

#361229 - 02/12/13 02:51 PM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#361230 - 02/12/13 02:59 PM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: Diki
It strikes me that it would not be that hard to code an app for the iPad (or a Windows tablet, whatever) to add a Chord Sequencer to any arranger out there.

Basically, all it has to do is slave to the arranger's tempo clock (easy), receive the NTA (notes to arranger) channel from the arranger, and loop the MIDI recording and play it back when the Play button is hit. Hardly as complicated as a full sequencer...

I'm pretty sure this would sell very well. Anyone know anyone doing MIDI app development for iPad or other devices?

I have been hunting this for some time Diki, including speaking with developers. Also along the same lines, it is essentially midi data only etc etc etc..

They all have said with the cost of developing apps of this nature being anywhere between $5,000 to 10,000 and the prospect of returns so low for such a "specific" market, that they could not be bothered to do it off their own bat...

However if a "Kickstarter" scheme were suggested, perhaps a developer may have an interest.

None of the current software arranger developers have any time to port versions to iOS.

As Abacus has pointed out, you could always get the developer SDK packages (requires registration and sign-up, but is free) and start writing your own..but fair warning, it is far FAR more difficult than it first looks. Believe me I have already tried...WAY above my level of mathematics and logic laugh

Dennis

#361237 - 02/12/13 04:53 PM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
billyhank Offline

There already is an app for Ipad that can be programmed with just chords for the arrangers - "Mobile Music Sequencer" by Yamaha.

I have it and am using it with my S950 - and it will play the chords right into the keyboard triggering any selected style.

Works a treat

Bill G

#361253 - 02/13/13 07:59 AM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Then it needs little to accept those chords on the fly, and spit them right back...

And look guys... I'm no programmer. Kind of an absurd suggestion for me to write one. If you have a gripe about your (or anyone else's!) arranger, I wouldn't be so daft as to suggest you design one yourself..! Yikes!

#361257 - 02/13/13 08:33 AM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

laugh @ Diki, tongue in cheek my man!!

And I wouldn't expect anyone who plays a Roland to be able to get to grips with something as modern as the iOS system.......

Dennis

#361261 - 02/13/13 08:42 AM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

LOL... Abacus the first to suggest it...

Don't forget, Roland are releasing FREE iOS apps to help control the BK series. Now, where's that iOS app for the Korg? LOL

#361263 - 02/13/13 09:21 AM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

laugh I hear ya Diki....and it was for that reason it was certainly tempting to look at a BK 7 again, or a BK 5 - Although the coming MuiskMesse will be VERY interesting, with maybe a teaser a month earlier wink

A shame that Korg have several iPad apps and instruments, but no editors as such...

Dennis

#361272 - 02/13/13 01:07 PM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Thing is, Dennis, there isn't even a regular OS Chord sequencer app. So no chance of porting anything. Strange, considering how many utility and editor apps HAVE been user made for Yamaha's, Roland's, maybe even Korg's (don't know too much about Korg software). No-one yet has thought about a simple MIDI looper app.

Another app for iOS that might be useful is a very simple 'One take and save' MIDI Recorder for the BK series Roland's, which have no onboard sequencing or even a dumb one take recorder.

#361284 - 02/13/13 02:25 PM Re: Universal Chord Sequence app... [Re: Diki]
miden Offline

redface

Oops my bad Diki...I totally misread your OP- You said chord sequencer NOT an arranger....

In this case I retract all my comments as they were related to ARRANGER apps.

Yes I agree with you now. As there are several midi apps that are very VERY capable midi sequencers, it is no stretch to have them include the ability to record the midi chord data input for later playback to an arranger - in fact they should be able to record directly from any arranger engine that has correct midi protocols (and that's all of them afaik)

Dennis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online