SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#360873 - 02/09/13 10:33 AM Does anything beat an iPad?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I am at the point, no need to wait any longer -- get an iPad. This would be for lyrics at gigs. Plus, to use for general business use. I am tempted to stick with an actual Apple iPad instead of another product due to a lot of cool iPad apps being written for musicians. Heck, I would think even recording on an iPad is now pretty advanced.

Or, has anyone found another model they like a lot?

Also, any idea where I can buy one cheapest? I would like to buy local but don't have to. If there is significant savings online, I'd probably do that.

I also gotta figure out how much memory to get.

#360879 - 02/09/13 11:01 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Originally Posted By: SemiLiveMusic

I also gotta figure out how much memory to get.

As much as you can afford!!! Trust me you WILL use it wink

Dennis

#360884 - 02/09/13 11:42 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: miden]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Bill,
I have been using my Ipad for several years now and would not consider anything else as long as my eyes hold out. The screen is big enough and clear enough to see everything very well and the extras that the Ipad can do will pay off for you. My wife also has and Ipad and I can't get the thing out of her hands. I have the 64 Gig version, Glenda the 16 Gig version and she wishes she had the 64. Now Apple has the 128 gig version too.

Bill, Apple doesn't allow stores to discount any of their products. The prices will be the same all over.

Go for it - you won't be sorry.
Deane

Edited by hammer (02/09/13 11:43 AM)

#360885 - 02/09/13 12:16 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Apple, Apple, Apple.
It's amazing - never crashes, fun to use, easy to sync and load.
SO many music apps - Garage band is only $5!

#360905 - 02/09/13 04:38 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
For music the iPad rules at present, however for everything else Android is cheaper and way better than Apple.

iTunes is a lock in system, so unless you really need it, avoid it like the plague.

Finally remember you’re paying Apple for the design, performance wise you can get the same for a third of the price. (As with all Macs)

Warning: iPads and iPhones have been heavily targeted by hackers, so make sure you have the latest version (And updates) to prevent loss of personal information.

Hope this helps

Bill

#360907 - 02/09/13 04:59 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: abacus]
miden Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
For music the iPad rules at present, however for everything else Android is cheaper and way better than Apple.

Warning: iPads and iPhones have been heavily targeted by hackers, so make sure you have the latest version (And updates) to prevent loss of personal information.

Hope this helps

Bill

Bill, for the first that is so subjective it is not funny, as for the second - ONLY for those silly people who choose to "jailbreak" their iphone or ipad..

DEnnis

#360909 - 02/09/13 05:34 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

1. Very few manufactures are making music software and hardware for anything other than the iPad, (Hence it rules) as for the rest of the software, find me anyone that isn’t an Apple junkie that puts iOS above the competition.

2. Like Windows on PCs the iPad/phone is the most popular out there, hence like Windows it is the main target for hackers. (Apple is also renowned in the security industry for dragging their feet in issuing security patches)

3. Remember the more popular something is, the more it will be targeted by hackers, hence the iPad/Phone is under constant attack. (Just like Windows is on PCs)

Bill

#360910 - 02/09/13 06:10 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

Sure can - me

I use a Windows 7 DAW/General PC, a Windows 8 laptop tablet/hybrid and have done (used Microsoft OS software since DOS 2 smile )

I also tried Android for a few months with an Android tablet, and I found it buggy, unstable, SOOOOO easy to get infected apps, and the lack of music apps is marked...this is well known. Oh and it was a very recent Android OS, ICS in fact!!

Manufacturers are slow -VERY slow to provided Android OS updates (as in ICS to Jelly Bean for example) I know of several ICS Android tablet owners that have been told unequivocally there is NO Jelly Bean update being provided (big name tablet makers too).

I reiterate rather strongly that the ONLY attacks that can be made on iPad/ or iphone are for those idiots who Jailbreak.

For those who do not know, Jailbreaking is where you download and install a 3rd part iOS system that "breaks" all the security mesaures put in place by Apple on all software and apps.

An app needs to go through about 3 months of Apple factory testing before it is released to the store.

No such thin with Android. Write an app, fill it with malicious code and you can immediately list on the Google Play Store.

And they cover themselves with the ubiquitous "download at your own risk" laugh

Nah, Apple iOS is sop far ahead it is not funny...

Sorry Bill for disagreeing, but that's life smile

Dennis

#360926 - 02/10/13 02:13 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
abacus Offline

As I said for music there is no substitute other than the iPad at present, and so is the one to go for, but just remember it is a closed system.

As to what I prefer to use, it is android for phone (As you’re not tied down and dictated to like you are with iOS) and iOS for Tablet, (Purely because it is the only platform with decent music apps and hardware) as I find it is the best compromise at the current time.

As to security, type “security breaches in iOS” into Google.

Bill

#360927 - 02/10/13 02:57 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I got my first iPad the day it was released Saturday April 3, 2010. My wife was very upset with me that day, she had to go to a bridal shower and would not be home when the UPS man delivered our 2 iPads. laugh

I can't add anything more to what's already been written because everyone who wrote positive reviews said it all. I'll only add that buy the largest storage capacity device you can afford.

You may want to consider a model with cellular data connection versus the wifi only model, comes in handy and there are no long term contracts to sign with Verizon, AT&T or Sprint.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online