SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#360935 - 02/10/13 06:19 AM Percentage of the tab
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
There is a restaurant near me and the guy will book me. It's very good food, not upscale, a bit rustic, very small town. "Quaint" comes to mind. Not cheap, not expensive, meals are generally $10 to $18, a big ribeye is $35. Serves wine and beer. Anyone have an idea on a "percentage of the tab" pay arrangement? What percentage? We discussed cover charge, tips plus he throws in whatever or a percentage. I think I'd rather play for "tips are suggested" instead of a cover charge (cuz I think the average person will tip more than a typical cover charge), plus something from him. This would be cover songs during dinner, then a songwriter showcase afterwards. I would likely bring in, say, 30-50 people. On a Saturday night. He's pretty dead on Saturdays after 8pm, Fridays are his big night. So, I'd be bringing real value to an otherwise dead time. (Probably start cover songs at 7pm and do songwriter showcase 8:30 to 9:45.)

His entire place seats 70, but right in front of where I'd play, about 40. It's a good spot for my acoustic shows. He was pretty fired up about it, he is looking for a regular. He even has his own PA. (Peavy 12's and a mixer.) But I have my own systems, as well.

#360941 - 02/10/13 07:00 AM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

Why cant they just pay you a straight rate lets say $200.00 for the night plus tips?...why does there always have to be a weird concoctions of pay agreements with these club owners all the time.The Musician always gets screwed.. !! mad

oh yeah,... I played clubs years ago over 25 years.. cool2

Edited by Dnj (02/10/13 07:02 AM)

#361001 - 02/10/13 04:56 PM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Anyone? Ideas about percentage? I have no clue how much a restaurant could give up.

#361004 - 02/10/13 06:12 PM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

The net profit in the restaurant business is very small, much smaller than most folks would like to believe. The guy that has the big motor yacht behind me at the marina owns a couple upscale restaurants on the Florida Panhandle, employs a large number of people and told me that in order to pay an entertainer $200 for a 4-hour job he must make up an additional $900 to $1,200 in order to break even. That should give you some idea of what it takes.

The only reason he owns a large motor-yacht is because he also owns a large real estate development corporation as well.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#361009 - 02/10/13 06:46 PM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: travlin'easy]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Gary

Know which places he owns and what part of the panhandle? Maybe we should touch base.

#361030 - 02/11/13 05:40 AM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No, but I believe they are somewhere near Pensacola - just not sure of the names or exact locations.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#361053 - 02/11/13 09:07 AM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary is right. Upscale restaurants net about 3%. Average restaurants and franchises operate at about 5% net.

Rule of thumb for music is 5% of incremental business (business the place would not have-business as a result of the music draw).

That means, $100 in pay must generate $2,000.00 in business.

Likewise, rent or building overhead should be 5%, liquor cost-34%, food cost-40-47%.

Now, if the music is part of the ambiance of the place, the percentage of business required goes down, since it is absorbed in the general overhead.

I used to get a salary or 5% of the business, whichever was greater, and I liked that. Kind of makes you take a real hard look at the business and what to do better to "survive and thrive".

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/11/13 09:20 AM)

#361120 - 02/11/13 05:02 PM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have never worked, and never WILL work for a percentage. My fee is based on my self worth, and is just a little higher than my competition. The key to getting rebooked is to sell yourself. I go back everywhere I work, based on my professionalism and marketability ... when that changes ... it's time to hang it up.
Don't let someone else tell you what YOUR time is worth - hone your craft and SELL your product. Pick a price that's fair and mutually agreeable. If you produce the goods - the money will come.
smile
Business 101

#361122 - 02/11/13 05:15 PM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Except, Meryl's..BallPark, Sonny's, Patricks,..Big Ed's..Golden Horse..Club Demi...Bedesems...Just to name a few..

#361128 - 02/11/13 06:16 PM Re: Percentage of the tab [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I always got the money I asked for. Sometimes I had to work harder for it than others, but that's just the price of being a grownup. Those places you mentioned were not the cream of the crop (by a long shot), but they were steady and local ... and BTW - Meryl's was a solid job for two years, the Demi was also one of my best paying venues (hours sucked though ... 2am - 5am) and the Ballpark payed GREAT while it lasted! Silly Rabbit. Who knew that naked women dancing would draw more than bald men singing? What's this world COMING to????
smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online