Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#361062 - 02/11/13 11:02 AM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Diki
If you get a Mac, you don't NEED a tech geek! They just work...

I still have no virus programs, pop-up blockers or any of that PC stuff. 15+ years on broadband, not a single piece of malware yet.

Time Machine makes automatic backups a no brainer, they simply are the computer 'for the rest of us'.

Their included apps (full apps, not trialware that bugs you with popups even after you get the full program!) are designed so that you don't need to be a geek to use them.

And, push comes to shove, and you GOTS to run Windows programs, they will either run Windows in a shell inside OSX, or you can simply boot them up so they ARE a full Windows machine (there goes your security, mind you!). Two for the price of one...

Still waiting for Windows to be able to pull THAT trick off!

If Macs are so good why is it that the majority of computer users use PC?

Cost is one factor:

HP Desktop Starting at $549

Lowest Priced iMac Starts At $1299.

There's more reasons but I'm guessing a $700 plus price spread eliminates many buyers. You can buy 2 Hp Desktops for the price of one iMac.

Apple laptops are pricey too, but it's quality all the way.

#361065 - 02/11/13 12:54 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Price, apps, market share, corporate domination.

Thing is, TCO (total cost of operation) over the life of your computer, start adding up those geek shop visits, having to BUY the majority of your apps (if you want well supported pro quality ones), the risk to your data of malware, the risk to your data of being hacked, there's a case to be made that, if you keep your computer for any length of time, the Apple computers start to end up not as expensive as initial cost makes them seem.

If you are fairly geeky yourself, and know how to keep a PC system humming along at its best, if you know how to edit the register, control the background processes, and all the other important tasks to keep your PC worry free and running, you may be good to go. But OTOH, how many TV adds you seen for services and software (none of which are cheap) to speed your Mac up?

None. Doesn't need them.

Mac's are for people that would rather concentrate on the TASK, than the tool that performs the task.

#361066 - 02/11/13 12:59 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gee, I guess I should donate my 7-year-old laptop to Florida's Artificial Reef Program. wink Nah! I'll just call Eddie Shoemaker when I'm in over my head. smile Of course, Eddie calls me once in while to solve problems on older PCs.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#361070 - 02/11/13 01:22 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: Stephenm52]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

That's a no display HP tower compared to a full system on the iMac. Maybe this cute little thing is more a direct comparison? http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/ the $799 one is quad core Intel.

So we're looking at more like a $200 difference, not a $700 one. Not to mention, with wi-fi, USB3, HDMI and Thunderbolt connectivity, you are good to go.

#361072 - 02/11/13 01:24 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"Does anything beat an Ipad?" My grandson will, if there's one around. He'll beat on anything.
DonM

#361078 - 02/11/13 02:04 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Yep, cost is the major thing, else, I would already have been using an Apple computer.

#361081 - 02/11/13 02:08 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

Take a good look at those Mac Mini's then... superb little computer in a tiny footprint. And affordable.

#361084 - 02/11/13 02:17 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
wink As long as you have a monitor and mouse/keyboard to go with it Diki...

I have been looking at one recently, they are a nice bit of gear. If I did not have so much tied up in Windows audio software, I might be tempted..

DEnnis

#361085 - 02/11/13 02:24 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Dnj Offline

price is one thing, but does the cost warrant what a computer does in the everyday world for the consumers using it?....they both compute and by the sales the masses have spoken on the PC vs Mac scenario. Most just say to themselves what does the extra cost do for ME if I buy a mac? maybe I'm like you G70 guys when it comes to a PC...I'm still running WIN XP and it does all I need even though it's almost 8 years old..in fact I have 4 of them.... wink

Edited by Dnj (02/11/13 02:29 PM)

#361093 - 02/11/13 02:47 PM Re: Does anything beat an iPad? [Re: SemiLiveMusic]
Diki Offline

LOL, Donny... I use a 2001 Mac Quicksilver for my sequencing and audio needs (although I am strongly considering finally moving to OSX and my iMac 27"). All my hardware uses PCI slots (the original ones!) and no adapter has been made to use them with PCIe or PCI-x. So my UAD and MOTU stuff has to be used with this relic..!

Mind you, well over 48 tracks of 24/48 audio is easily doable with full effects and MIDI. If you need more than this, you are overdoing it! Beatles made do with four tracks... (on much of their stuff)

I think the reason that despite the cost, I always recommend Mac's to musicians is that many of them don't WANT to be geeks. Most of them simply want the computer as the tool for music production. Having to deal with anything else is not why they want one. My experience with Mac's has always been trouble free (other than the usual HD issues, which anyone gets no matter what platform you are on if you push your HD's hard like full audio production does). I have had the time to concentrate on the software alone, and that piece of mind and lack of worry is worth quite a lot of money in the long run.

I don't want a computer. I want a DAW. I want a video editor. I want some VSTi's. Mac's make the computer almost invisible. You simply use the software. Brilliant!

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online