SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#360806 - 02/08/13 01:10 PM PA600 Question
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Even though I am NOT a 'jazz player', I like to play the song "Green Dolphin Street" which starts in a Latin style and in the bridge goes to a swing style ... on my technics kn6000 I was able to do this using Panel Memory buttons ... is there a way to do this on the PA600?

#360811 - 02/08/13 01:20 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Tony

Link the performance's to a style and set up two performances with different styles. "Style change button"

Col

#360818 - 02/08/13 02:53 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: Saswick]
tony mads usa Offline

Col ... I don't really follow what you are saying ... blush ... remember, I am TOTALLY new to KORG ...
What I want to accomplish is to switch from a Latin style to a swing style (bebop) with the press of a button - like STS ...

#360821 - 02/08/13 03:47 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
The easiest way I think is combining the latin and swing into a whole new style using the copy and paste function. In the manual you can find how to use these functions.

#360822 - 02/08/13 03:55 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: FransN]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Actually it's easiest to do it in songbook.You create a song with style 1 and style two.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#360826 - 02/08/13 06:15 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: FransN]
tony mads usa Offline

mirza ... I did that, but the timing of switching from one to another in between measures is very tricky ... the best solution so far has been to create two styles adjacent to each other in the user section and just press the one I want as needed ...

Originally Posted By: FransN
The easiest way I think is combining the latin and swing into a whole new style using the copy and paste function. In the manual you can find how to use these functions.

Frans ... I didn't realize that you could copy and paste one style into another ... I will look into that ...

thanks all ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/08/13 06:16 PM)

#360827 - 02/08/13 06:20 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Tony try to set up two different variations with two styles

#360830 - 02/08/13 07:46 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Huh?? I answered this already ... my post never showed up. hmmmmm.
Oh well, I repeat:
It's pretty easy to copy and paste sections from one style to another, so take the directions from pg. 62
and simply copy the latin beat from one style and paste it into a variation of the swing beat that you like. I use the bebop pattern and replace var.2 with var 3 - then copy in a bossa style you like from whatever pattern suits you.
So, my bebop variations are:
1-simple swing with hi hat
2-standard swing with ride cymb
3-bossa with ride cymb
4-swing trading 4s (drum solo every 4 measures)

I set up a similar patch on my s950 - maybe Donny can share that with the Yamahites.
If I figure out how to copy a style and upload it, I will!

#360857 - 02/09/13 06:52 AM Re: PA600 Question [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Start with the keyboard in style play mode. You may be using a funky style lets say in the 'dance style tabs group' but there is too much going on in it . Perhaps you like the drums but the bass is too busy or the guitar too much in your face. You may prefer the strumming pattern from another style lets say in the '16 beat style group'
and the brass from one of the Gospel styles.

Make a note of the tracks you want to change ie drums,percusion, bass Acc2 Acc3 Acc4 acc5 etc

Make a note of the tracks you want to copy and the groups they are from ie '16 beat group groove style accomp 2 wah wah guitar or whatever

You should now have noted what you want to change and what you want to change it to.

We will start to edit the style that you feel most fits what you want but needs some editing so press record. Its the big red button on tyhe PA1X dont know for the PA800.... This will take you to a screen that asks you what you want to edit

1 select record/edit current style(that should be selected by the instrument as a default)and press ok
2. It will take you to the style record page press the reel(looks like a film reel) icon for recording lets say the bass. We dont need to record anything as we are going to delete the bass sound.
3 Press the menu button
4. select style edit . Press the delete all tab at the bottome of the screen .Make sure that you delete all. In practise you could just delete some of the pattern say from bars 1-4 but thats more advanced than i want to deal with right now !

5 Press execute and then press. Now press the copy from style tab at the bottom of the screen.

6. then press the select button as this will then show you all the styles in the group your original style is from. There are tabs to the left of the screen so you can quickly select the style that you want to copy from ( remember the styles you noted down at the begining. Then simply select the style you want to copy from, select the element of the style ie Acc 1,2,3,4 drums bass etc and select the element you will be copying too ie Acc 1,2,3 etc . In this example it will be the bass sound from which ever style you prefer . Press execute and voila it will be in the style. You can press the delete tab and delete the other elements that you wanted to change pressing execute after each change

7. choose another style from the copy from style tab lets say the 6 string guitar style from the 8 beat group of styles because you liked the guitar .

8 Select the element that you want to copy from and move to etc. You can do this repeated from this page remembering to press execute after each change.

9 When you have finished making changes press menu again and you will be on style record page again. Press the drop down tab at the top right of the page and save the newly composed style and you can even overwrite the factory style rather than save it as a user style. Press the big red record button off screen and it will then ask warn you that you can lose what you have edited unless you save it. Press yes to save and then you are back in style play mode. Select your edited style and enjoy !!!

#360886 - 02/09/13 12:31 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I think Saswick already said it. With those two styles you create two performances.Make sure tempo and everything else is good.Just make sure you have on style change on with this song.You can do it in style mix too but this is much easier and faster.Style shange button is the last on the right next to performance buttons.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#360888 - 02/09/13 12:41 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

Having the variations built into a single style is by far the fastest way. It keeps the trigger where you're used to it also.
This pattern is so versatile for cocktail music - you'll use it a ton!

#360942 - 02/10/13 07:04 AM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Looks like it's a hair faster on the gig (although changing Performances mid-tune should be a piece of cake), but looking at Donny's description, looks like a HELL of a lot of work to make just the one style work.

One of the cool things using a multi-switch pedal allows you is a 'Next Performance, Previous Performance' pair of switches. Hands free, you can go between a couple of Performances (or more, if needed) for a much more complex set of Variations and styles to perform just one song...

I don't know if you get any patch change 'glitches' on other arrangers, but my G70 does this seamlessly, and it's impossible to tell that the performance got changed. It's a great way to have subtle changes in rhythms (take a style and strip the drums down to the bone or import a different guitar part for one section) or larger style differences (like here) and also, if you copy the style and then edit the OTS, you can have a much larger selection of keyboard sounds ready to go.

But the work to import ONE Variation into another style (and you have to lose the replaced Variation, reducing your choices while in the swing section, for instance) seems a heck of a lot more than setting up a pair of Performances...

#361173 - 02/12/13 08:48 AM Re: PA600 Question [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Looks like it's a hair faster on the gig (although changing Performances mid-tune should be a piece of cake), but looking at Donny's description, looks like a HELL of a lot of work to make just the one style work.

WOW ... Once I got past all the 'verbiage' in the instructions it was a piece of cake!!! bounce ... took about two minutes - there is a LOT in the instructions about changing different elements of the styles, ... right now I just want to use the factory elements of two different styles ... and, most likely I will use this new style just for one particular song ... but I am now on my way to create new, but similar styles for songs like "All The Things You Are", where I also like to switch from Latin (bossa) to swing ...
I am a happy KORG camper !!! keys

NOW, if someone could tell me where to find - or how to create - a good Jazz style where a variation would go into 'double time' I would be thrilled ...
dance

Edited by tony mads usa (02/12/13 08:49 AM)

#361183 - 02/12/13 09:19 AM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Online   content

I guess, if you find two styles that have the requisite grooves, this will work for you. The hard part comes if you find two, but one is half the tempo of the other.

If you can have a separate tempo for each Variation, I suppose you are good to go. If not, you may have to use a decent sequencer, and re-tempo the half-time variation. (that 'Tempo-Lock' trick I talk about in the 'Endings as mid-song pauses' thread explains how to do it) to make it the same timebase as the double time stuff would be cool...

#361201 - 02/12/13 10:46 AM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I THINK there's a Jazz style on PA3x that goes into double time on var 4. I'll have to fire it up and see. I know I have one on some keyboard that does it. smile
DonM

#361293 - 02/13/13 04:12 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I THINK there's a Jazz style on PA3x that goes into double time on var 4. I'll have to fire it up and see. I know I have one on some keyboard that does it. smile
DonM

Don ... any luck with this ...
thnx

#361297 - 02/13/13 04:49 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Online   content

Either I got Donny's instructions wrong, or I missed it, but rather than copying each element at a time, is it possibly to go 'delete Var3 from this style, and get Var3 from that style'?

Seems nice and simple.

#361298 - 02/13/13 04:53 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Uncle Dave Offline

I don't know of any, but the Modern Swing is a double time pattern - hit the tempo lock button and you can switch between patterns that way?

#361301 - 02/13/13 05:16 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I couldn't find it. Sorry, must have been another keyboard.
DonM

#361302 - 02/13/13 05:16 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: Diki]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Either I got Donny's instructions wrong, or I missed it, but rather than copying each element at a time, is it possibly to go 'delete Var3 from this style, and get Var3 from that style'?

Seems nice and simple.

Yes ... absolutely ...you don't even have to 'delete' the first one, just 'copy' over it ... and you can choose which styles you want to use for the intro, break, or ending ...
I do a Ben E King/Drifters medley of four songs ... today I created a style using 4 different 'Latin' styles, each in its own 'variation' ...
Now you are correct Diki, when you say that I lose some of the 'flexibility' of 4 variations for each style, but for a situation like this where I am just going through each song once, it really doesn't matter all that much ..

Before making any changes to a style I 'Copy and Paste' the style into my favorites and rename it, and use these styles to create a new 'combined' style ... this way I am not making changes to the original factory style ... If I want to, I can then 'line up' the four styles in my favs in the sequence I play them and just press the next style the measure before I want it to change ...
keys

#361304 - 02/13/13 05:55 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I couldn't find it. Sorry, must have been another keyboard.
DonM

Thanks just the same. Don ... The good thing about owning one kb for so many years was I never got confused as to what it did or didn't have ... grin

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I don't know of any, but the Modern Swing is a double time pattern - hit the tempo lock button and you can switch between patterns that way?

UD ... my PA600 doesn't have that style, but variation 3 of the Orchestral Swing does something similar ... I just cut the accomp to bass and drums and it sounds ok ...
thanks ...

#361310 - 02/13/13 06:58 PM Re: PA600 Question [Re: tony mads usa]
Diki Online   content

I still think the easiest solution here is simply a matched pair of Performances. For starters, you aren't limited to only one Variation for your double time, so you have a bit more flexibility and options, and you don't have to chop up anything...

Not sure about Yamaha's, but my Roland goes seamlessly from one Performance to the next and back, no glitches, no nothing. You can set up which Variation of the double time style will cue up when you switch Performances, so no hunting and pecking there.

At least on Roland's, I'd be willing to say this is MUCH faster to set up than copying Parts from one style to another. And Roland style editing seems to be able to do the same thing as the Yamaha (mix and match).

But, whatever floats your boat...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online