SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#360649 - 02/07/13 07:07 AM I just can't seem to get this right on my G70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

Julie's guitar player on all her hits..

Maybe I should try the "concert guitar" on a Yamaha smile

#360650 - 02/07/13 07:25 AM Re: I just can't seem to get this right on my G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

keep practicing... rotf2

#360651 - 02/07/13 07:28 AM Re: I just can't seem to get this right on my G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran, you can do it. Just learn guitar runs and chords like DonM did and you'll be doing the same runs in no time. Well, maybe another 20 or 30 years or so. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#360652 - 02/07/13 07:57 AM Re: I just can't seem to get this right on my G70 [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... as the saying goes "any 5 year old can do it after 30 years of practice" ... PROVIDED OF COURSE that the 5 year old has the TALENT ...

#360667 - 02/07/13 08:43 AM Re: I just can't seem to get this right on my G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How about getting a MIDI guitar, Fran, then learning to play as well as Barney Kessel, then MIDI-ing into the G70? LOL

Hand to God, if you did that, it wouldn't really matter how good the G70's jazz guitar sound was!

#360695 - 02/07/13 09:30 AM Re: I just can't seem to get this right on my G70 [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ah, Johnny Carson's favorite song. Fran, there are so many great versions, you will be appreciated for just playing it in your style, with feeling.

I wouldn't try plying the Kessel changes on a keyboard, they just would sound strange. (And the reaches would be impossible).

Interesting that he wasn't playing a Barney Kessel model Gibson...one of my favorites. Has two sharp cutaways, instead of one round one, like an L-5.

This is a song I play every night.

Knock "em" dead, bud!

R.

P.S. Ella taught me the melody and her ex, Ray Brown, taught me the changes years ago. It's REALLY a special song to me. I play it on vibes as often as I can. Mel Torme had a fantastic version of it, too.

Edited by captain Russ (02/07/13 09:41 AM)

#360697 - 02/07/13 09:39 AM Re: I just can't seem to get this right on my G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When I was 19 years old..I played with a "pop" band...and we had
a guitar player...to date he was the best player I have worked with...and he was up there with all these great players...Walt Sedden, was in his fifties when I joined the band...I wish I had recordings of this band..Every member was top notch..Upright bass and lead vocalist, Bob Gough (late fifties in age)..Walt Russel on drums (50 plus) ..Rob Filer on sax (a couple years older than me...and the good looking accordion guy (me)..

Walt Sedden could play any mood, any key, any request...I never seen him use a chart..Rob and I had charts/arrangements in our "songbook"...the 3 ring binder "songbook"..

We were the house band for the "Golden Horse"...a popular club/night spot in our area..

A great learning experience for a 19 year old and the first band..

Thanks to my teacher for recommending me..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online