SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#360755 - 02/08/13 01:13 AM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Keep this topic on track and don't get caught up in petty quibbling.

#360777 - 02/08/13 08:19 AM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm sorry, I thought the topic was "Too Much Boss", so I mentioned wives. My bad.
DonM smile

#360782 - 02/08/13 08:37 AM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: bruno123
The five Yamaha keyboards I owned had the same aggressive bass problem. But that is what I hear when listening to contemporary music. Bass and drums out front.

One down, one to go!

Don't Yamaha's have an EQ for each Style Part? Rather than gut the arranger by EQ'ing the whole thing, isn't the problem solved best by EQ'ing the problem only?

One of the issues with arrangers with speakers built in is, what do you voice the arranger for? Do you set up the styles and Part EQ's to make it sound its best on the built in speakers (which is probably what the majority of buyers will be playing it through - most of them aren't pros!) or do you voice it for a full range high power PA, or do you set it up for flat nearfield studio monitors?

Big difference between all three.

Might be nice if there were computer tools that allowed you to alter the EQ for each sound, then either store it, or apply that change to every Performance that uses that sound. Yamaha got this? If they do, there's the solution... And especially with a 'batch processor' approach, this makes it easy to set up Performance list duplicates, with the EQ's dialed in for each type of speaker system you are using.

#360786 - 02/08/13 08:52 AM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

I think the majority of people use the old V array on the e.q. settings, and simply boost the lows and highs, therby drowning the mids.
There are presets in the S850 specifically for internal speakers, line-out to p.a., etc. There is also one called "flat" that is a good starting point, and may be all that is needed.
I believe 99 percent of people boost almost every band of e.q. This makes it louder overall but introduces noise and can overdrive speakers. If you use e.q., CUT the offending frequencies. The overall sound will be the same as boosting, using the same curve.
DonM

#360789 - 02/08/13 09:13 AM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

LOL... 'Flat' is always a good starting point! Mind you, do they need a preset for that? Wouldn't turning off the EQ achieve that?!

#360796 - 02/08/13 10:37 AM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I would think the best way to set up a keyboard would be with all the global out settings flat, and use a good set of headphones to set up the internal EQ settings etc. Then when you go out to a gig (Or use the on-board speakers) you set the global out settings to match the sound system and environment safe in the knowledge that all the internal settings are correct. (Internal and External settings are totally independent, or at least they should be)

Bill

#360799 - 02/08/13 11:45 AM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
People usually make mistakes by EQ-ing too much.Usually LESS is MORE.I have seen too many times EQ as V which is totallu wrong to do.Sometimes when you lack bass, maybe you have too much treble and opposite.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#360801 - 02/08/13 12:09 PM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

If you run your Global EQ flat, might as well switch it off! The less processing the output runs through, the better.

#360807 - 02/08/13 01:11 PM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Evidently flat IS off on the PSR. There is no on/off switch. You can start with the flat setting and change it, so it isn't really "off".
DonM

#360816 - 02/08/13 02:42 PM Re: S950 Too Much Bass Overall? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Flat is essentially off - all EQ settings are at zero.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the bass on any Yamaha keyboard I've owned in two decades.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online