SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3600 - 06/21/02 10:44 AM Re: Jupiter 6 vs Jupiter 8
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Believe me , it took a long time to get 77 synthesizers . As for me though , analog is practically over ( god I thought I would never say that ) . I've been doing it since 1983 , there is no nostalgia for those machine in me , I was there . There just not cutting edge enough anymore . I'm mainly into SUPER COLLIDER now , with all the new computer programs out , music is more fun now . After all , I'm an electronic musician , there is NO excuse for not pushing new horizons , I'm done looking back .

#3601 - 06/22/02 04:54 AM Re: Jupiter 6 vs Jupiter 8
Rael Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
true true i can see your perspective. i find computer programs to be a little sterile for my liking though, from my (limited) experience. i prefer something you can get your hands on, it feels like a better musical experience to me. what kind of programs are you using?

#3602 - 06/22/02 06:10 AM Re: Jupiter 6 vs Jupiter 8
Rael Offline

its also refreshing to see someone who has been using electronic gear for a while and who isn't completely analog-obsessed. so many of these people seem to have a complete digital-is-crap attitude.

#3603 - 06/22/02 06:12 AM Re: Jupiter 6 vs Jupiter 8
Rael Offline

(when i say these people i don't any of you wonderful people btw...)

#3604 - 06/22/02 11:10 AM Re: Jupiter 6 vs Jupiter 8
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I use software synths like VIBRA-9000 , MODEL - E , REAKTOR , META SYNTH , RETRO AS1 , REASON , and REBIRTH . I also use SUPER COLLIDER which is a prgram that uses prgramming language to build modules much like a modular synthesizer but you can also mangle samples realtime . My main recording software is CUBASE 5 . Another good program is SOUND HACK which can mangle samples in a way that most software and hardware samplers can not do . I used analog synthesizers because I didn't like the way things were going starting with the YAMAHA DX-7 . When the sample playback junk came out , it was equally boring if not more so . Synthesizers were not created in the begining to rehash acoustic instruments . The sample playback stuff was a step in the wrong direction ( for me atleast ) . Sounding warm or being an analog snob is not what electronic music is about . It's about pushing new horizons . Analog synthesizers can not do that anymore . They are too limited compared to computer programs . Not to mention they are far more stable . As an owner of some MOOG and ARP products , having something that is reliable will spoil you . Digital is not cold , since it's so precise it lets you know that if you put junk in - you get junk out . It's nowhere near as difficult to make digital sound good , most people are just simply affraid of it . Electronic intruments are mass produced and the technology will keep getting better and better . There is no reason to have emotional attachments to this or older gear . I just keep the stuff I have because I keep it as a collection , I will not buy anymore though .

#3605 - 06/28/02 02:54 PM Re: Jupiter 6 vs Jupiter 8
meriphew Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Get a Jupiter 8. Don't get me wrong, the JP6 is nice and all, but it can't touch the JP8. I can't think of a single thing that I don't like about it.

Post indie electronic
Meriphew
www.meriphew.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online