SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#360498 - 02/06/13 12:19 AM John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Since you were a user of previous generation Korg PAs-PA 80 (Same board for Pa 50,MICROARRANGER ) and currently PA800 . Compare and contrast on sounds ,styles,usability and playability and everything else.And I believe you are the only one with PSR s750 in this forum.
Thanks.

Edited by jamman (02/06/13 12:21 AM)

#360508 - 02/06/13 04:13 AM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: jamman]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hello,

The surname is Smies by the way, but you are easily forgiven !!
Not sure there is much point in doing so as many have written on the PA950 which is the more expensive ( substantiallly even) brother of the PA750.But I do not mind giving it a try, in particular comparing it to my Korg PA800 and the PA500 which I owned previously. ( and of course before that I had the PA80/50/Micro.

Let me say for starters that I like the PSR750 a lot and a lot more than I had anticipated. AFter all the slogan Korg= live band , Yamaha= CD quality still holds up to a certain point.
Hence my personal view that one is best of with one of each really. The PSR 750 imho shines in some sound departments. The acoustit piano is good to very good, the electric pianos are outstanding. In actual fact there is no sound department that is bad or average, be it that e.g. in the sax department it could have been better. But as I mentioned in another thread by tweaking your sounds and styles you can go a long way.
Drums are good and getting better but still trailing compared to Korg and certainly, Ketron, both in quality and in the way you can tweak them while playing !!!
Styles...........are very good and numerous, certainly taking into account you can load all backwards stuff available on the net up to the Tyros 3 without any problems.
The 64 RAM memory, whilst too small and only available for one sound/style Pack at the time , does enable you to load new samples together with a number of styles. I for instance have the Latin Pack on board and it is a worthwile extension.
http://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/instrument/Keyboard/PSR-S750/home?currency=EUR
The keybed is pretty poor but suits me fine. The led screen and tweaking on it is a bit of a drag if you are used to the Korg touchscreens but one gets used to it. Besides if you get a Behringer midi controller you can move around a lot faster.
The speakers and overall volume is pretty good and with a small audience you might even get by without external amplification. (mind, I only use it at home, so no personal experience here). In essence I think it is a great keyboard for the price and superbly complimentary to anyone with a Korg or Roland keyboard. Of course if you are a singer you might want to opt for the PA950 with its vocaliser etc. or , alternatively, you could connect a 125 dollar Behringer mixer
(Xenyx 1202) to its line in and still have several microphones (and digital effects) at your disposal. ( no vocaliser though).
In conclusion, it is no Tyros 4 or PA3X but I think it is a great keyboard to have and I am enjoying it.

regards,
John

#360513 - 02/06/13 05:10 AM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: jamman]
Dnj Offline

Nice review John......thanx for sharing your thoughts.

#360556 - 02/06/13 08:51 AM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: jamman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I prefer the Growl Sax in the legacy folder to the new Growl Sax.
FWIW.
DonM

#360670 - 02/07/13 08:47 AM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: john smies]
jamman Offline

Thank you.

#362277 - 02/27/13 07:50 AM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: jamman]
hakurup Offline

Hello everybody! The first time i put my fingers on the keybed, i had this strange feeling that Yamaha has tried to put the S910 into the S710... The looks, feel etc are so much like the S710... But the amplification is really good. I would say it was a noisy affair in the local store here in India, but the sound from the in-built speakers were good enough to decimate the decibels. One last thing, I played on the SA Concert Strings and the SA Studio Strings; but i feel the strings on the Korg PA 600 are slightly better than the PSR 750? Does someone agree with this?

#362284 - 02/27/13 10:55 AM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Once again, I encourage all to contact their arranger manufacturers, and encourage them to standardize the style Division MIDI codes. As John points out, each arranger has certain strengths and weaknesses, but FAR more affordable arrangers are coming out that sound amazing at what they do best... so linking TWO low cost arrangers, and using each of their strong points together would create something easily better than the TOTL of any one manufacturer.

BUT.... all MIDI codes to control each arranger are utterly different! So currently, it can't be done. Please contact your manufacturer's site and encourage them to standardize!

Thank you

#362310 - 02/27/13 10:28 PM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: hakurup]
jamman Offline

Originally Posted By: hakurup
I played on the SA Concert Strings and the SA Studio Strings; but i feel the strings on the Korg PA 600 are slightly better than the PSR 750? Does someone agree with this?

Strings, pads ,drums are better in PA.Saxes and Ac Gtrs are better in PSR.Punchniess is still in PA but PSR wins in new style/3rd party support catagory.PSR drums are still weak. Not a fan of PA 600s keys(or new Krome 61s) either,Liked the width but sensitivity reminds me of old suzuki/casio keys.(PSR keys arent great either).But for 1000$ ,MP3 playback,Chord Seq,Full Seq,song book and decent sounds and workable styles,we cant really complain. They just have to increase more 4/4 simple style content.Less funk /rap and more simple ballads, trio styles.Yamaha is good with that but their drums are the problem.

Edited by jamman (02/27/13 10:37 PM)

#362320 - 02/28/13 06:48 AM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: jamman]
hakurup Offline

Perfectly said. The only reason i am choosing the S750 over the PA600 is the ability to record directly to WAV, which is a huge bonus for a person like me who doesnt understand how MIDI functions.

#362332 - 02/28/13 11:08 AM Re: John Smiles- can you write a review on PSR S750? [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Personally, recording to MIDI is far more important than recording to audio, IMHO. It's one of my major beefs with newer Roland's (they dropped the MIDI Recorder).

It is cheap and easy to buy a simple pocket recorder (like a Zoom) and hook it up to your arranger wherever you go. But toting a full sequencer around in case you want to record the MIDI is FAR less practical (and, in truth, the timing is always better on internal sequencers than jacking everything out the MIDI port or USB into a computer). But here's why...

Who has EVER played something utterly perfectly? Who hasn't made the odd flub? Who hasn't listened back to an almost perfect performance and gone 'Damn! I wish the bass wasn't so loud, or I had less reverb on the piano'? Who hasn't gone 'This is great, but the second solo was on the wrong sound'?

With MIDI, all of these things are easily fixed, THEN you can record to audio. Of course, should you choose to record your performance warts and all, there's nothing to stop you from hooking up your recorder (or using one of the many audio recorder apps for your smartphone) and simply recording the performance as is.

But, with an audio recorder ONLY, all those options are gone, unless hooked up to a computer. Of course, ideally, the arranger should do BOTH. And many do. But if ONE got dropped, I'd prefer the audio recorder every day and twice on Sundays!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online