SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#360418 - 02/05/13 06:44 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Uncle Dave]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki is not prejudicial about various brands of arranger keyboards - HE HATES THEM ALL! wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#360431 - 02/05/13 10:36 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Uncle Dave]
chasbee Offline

Loc: Bristol UK.
John, the use of the expression “donkeys” on it’s own is unusual in UK. The usual term is “donkeys years”, meaning (as you know) a long time. The use of the word “donkeys” is probably rhyming slang for “donkeys ears” (years). For some reason, although you would expect the word “donkeys” to be sufficient on it’s own, the word “years” is almost always added. Having said that, generally, your English is very good.

#360438 - 02/05/13 11:31 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: chasbee]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

chasbee,

I stand corrected, thank you.

John

#360439 - 02/05/13 11:46 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, John, but I completely disagree. If you have to OWN an arranger before you can make any comment, either positive OR negative, that makes a mockery of open and free discussion.

Perhaps my barbs hurt, which is why you remember them so much, rather than the praise I DO dole out to any arranger when and where it deserves it, but honestly... If you have a hard time reading a critique (always reasoned!) of your particular choice of arranger, this may not be the best place to hang out!

All I have ever done is try to be 'fair and balanced' (and not in the Fox News way!) about anything I post. I stand by my comments, whether it is of an arranger I own or not. If that troubles you, all I can say is perhaps grow a thicker skin.

I don't 'hate' all arrangers. Good grief, I have played them for decades! And play arrangers with live bands where I don't even NEED the arranger features! But when their manufacturers make questionable decisions, when barely useful features are added in favor of practical, easy to make solutions to problems, I call them out on it. None of them are perfect..!

At least, not for me! Some people like to switch their arranger on after they get it out of the factory shipping box, and pretty much leave it at that. But some like to be able to customize, to edit, to wrestle the thing into sounding the way WE want it, rather than meekly accepting the way it comes. I put myself squarely in the second group, and to that end, am always interested in what clever features AND what boneheaded decisions have been made in its design.

The last few years, I think they are batting about .500...!

#360445 - 02/05/13 12:46 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Diki]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I don't always agree with his assessments, but let it be known Diki not only lets his arranger opinions, (good and bad) known here at the SynthZone, but more importantly he also lets keyboard manufacturers know...and then some.

I say this because IMO it's a good thing to have guys like Diki fight for what he believes would make a more perfect keyboard. It can only be a good thing for the rest of us.

The question is: Are manufacturers listening to players like Diki? Who knows for sure, I doubt they would ever credit an outsider, but as the saying goes...the squeaky wheel gets the grease. smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#360447 - 02/05/13 01:00 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: lahawk]
Dnj Offline

You can talk till your blue in the face,....you can have the best arranger keyboard ever produced on the planet and beyond, but ask yourself this,..
will it make you a better player then you are now?....becoming a better player should be the most important thing at the forefront for all of us, otherwise everything else means squat.The keyboard isn't going to give you good chops, that's all up to you as the player.

#360448 - 02/05/13 01:09 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Dnj]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Agree Donny, but certain arranger features can make us All SOUND better, and can give us the feeling of actually PLAYING better. But your're correct, if you want to be a better player, learn and practice and practice and practice, and then learn some more.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#360452 - 02/05/13 02:26 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: lahawk]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk
Agree Donny, but certain arranger features can make us All SOUND better, and can give us the feeling of actually PLAYING better. But your're correct, if you want to be a better player, learn and practice and practice and practice, and then learn some more.

Larry,
The Proof is "always" in the Pudding!! wink

#360458 - 02/05/13 02:57 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
A better player? Probably not, but play BETTER, you bet.
The layout, buttons, switches, sliders, pedal board, joystick, chord sequencer, etc., of the PA3X, lets me play better.
The guitars and fast keys on the PSR S950 make me play better too.
My aging fingers and wrists need all the help they can get.
DonM

#360460 - 02/05/13 03:10 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Diki
'fair and balanced' (and not in the Fox News way!)

I, for one, thank God that FOX news has the guts to avoid the Liberal slant that most of the other stations are full of! If they didn't lean a bit RIGHT, then no one would get the full stories. The media and arts have always been unfairly LEFT tilted, so ... leave my FOX alone! People need to hear ALL SIDES.
smile
(actually .. I'm not all that political, but I do hate it when people pick on FOX and never talk about the other side and how they slant WAY more in the opposite direction.)
OK ... rant over - carry on. My PA3x is awesome.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online