SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#360259 - 02/03/13 06:15 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I knew it was only a matter of time. Donny has Yamaha in his blood. I told him on his last non Yamaha field trip that he wouldn't be happy with anything else. In the end it doesn't matter because he would sound good using a Casio.

Tom

#360261 - 02/03/13 06:43 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
I knew it was only a matter of time. Donny has Yamaha in his blood. I told him on his last non Yamaha field trip that he wouldn't be happy with anything else. In the end it doesn't matter because he would sound good using a Casio.

Thanx Tom...
I have to agree with you,..what was I thinking? confused1

#360324 - 02/04/13 11:23 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
John... you must be the only member of this forum that isn't well aware that I play the G70 (I have two, one for backup).

Fewer seem to be aware that I also have a BK-7m, not that I have made any great secret of it, but I don't use it for day to day gigging. It was bought primarily as a module for my KX5 strap-on keyboard (I have been using an old MGS-64 Roland Super Canvas module up to now), which I love to go out and jam on, and the additional arranger and SMF and mp3 capabilities make it possible to do an entire solo gig on it alone, should the need or want for it arise.

However, I have a close friend that likes to buy a bunch of different arrangers, and let me mess with them for days on end, So I have got considerable saddle time with the PA3X, BK-3 and BK-5 just lately.

#360339 - 02/04/13 12:44 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Diki]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

hello Diki,

I was all but sure you had two Rolands, but wanted confirmation before jumping to conclusions. No doubt you are an accomplished musician and have had your share with the keyboards that you mention. However looking back over the last few months I cannot help but noticing your buckets full of criticism on the new Yamahas (750/950), the Korgs and the overall approach by these companies to the musician as such. Now whilst I agree that they deserve some flack,it should not be forgotten that they are there first and foremost to make money, yours and mine. That having said I think the latest generation of keyboards by both companies and also including the priceless ( unfortunately literally as well ) Keton Audya offer the man in the street tremendous value and possibilities.
I do and cannot understand why you have so many faults to find, in particular as you do not play and/or own any of these boards. My educated guess would be you are like Fran, who swears by Roland. One of my best friends has a Roland G70 and whenever I say something new about what my PSR750 can do, or earlier on what my PA800 can do he would reply" ...you can do that on the G70 as well". I am happy for anyone who owns a Roland G70 and sticks with it. I even admire folks like Gary who has had a PSR3000 for donkeys and is only now considering a PSR950. But let us not pretend that 10 year old technology is a straight match for the 2013 generation of arranger keyboards. Furthermore I think it wise for anyone to be very prudent in critising whichever arranger board without having spent substantial time with it. No offence, let that be clear !!!! smile

best wishes,
John

#360343 - 02/04/13 02:14 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: john smies]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: john smies

.... folks like Gary who has had a PSR3000 for donkeys and is only now considering a PSR950.

What? Donkeys? Is that a British expression?
Eddie

#360382 - 02/04/13 11:00 PM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My objections to the S950 center around the audio styles. I completely disagree with Yamaha's direction here. Instead of adding a few more decent drum KITS, that could be used with any style we have, they go and bring out this audio drums styles thing, but completely nerf it, so you cannot do a damn thing with it other than play the pitiful few styles they have included (what? about 4% of the total # of styles in it, and even smaller compared to how many legacy styles there are).

Also, the audio multipads (where you CAN easily add your own content to it) cannot loop an audio file, so there goes that...

I think those are pretty valid comments, none of which relies on opinion only. Those criticisms are FACTS.

You might also have noticed that I cut Roland no more slack than I do anyone else. I am, despite being a Roland player for 15+ years (for their arrangers), one of their most vocal critics. The dropping of so many unique and extremely musical features has maddened me over the last few years. In many ways, the G1000 was the best arranger they ever made, and while the soundset and some of the styles have got better, and Makeup Tools and Cover Tools have made editing and style alteration easy, so many other day to day basic arranger operations on Roland arrangers have disappeared or become so simple to the point of almost uselessness.

Please don't think I am a die-hard ANYTHING... I simply feel that, if we are going to lay down our hard earned cash, the instruments we buy should be practical, musical works of art. And so often, for so many different reasons, they are NOT.

#360400 - 02/05/13 02:05 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Diki]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
You might also have noticed that I cut Roland no more slack than I do anyone else. I am, despite being a Roland player for 15+ years (for their arrangers), one of their most vocal critics.

Yes I must admit Diki always calls it as he sees it, even if it is the keyboard he uses himself. Always totally honest. Very refreshing.

#360405 - 02/05/13 02:55 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: btweengigs]
john smies Offline

Come on Eddie, at least English is a substantial part of your mother tongue whilst mine isn't. Anyway check it out:
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080106102311AAsmTLo

#360406 - 02/05/13 03:07 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: Diki]
john smies Offline

Diki,

I do not doubt your intentions but it remains remarkable to me that you are about the main contributor here but also the one who has to pinpoint many faults and shortcomings of the new keyboard generation whilst playing an "old" keyboard yourself and not having played extensively , at least not owing one, yourself.
It is generally known that I have favoured Korg for quite some time now, but recently I added the PSR750 to my PA800 and as mentioned before, it is a pleasure. Both keyboards supplement one another to perfection and apart from taste etc.etc. I would maintain that Tyros4,PSR 950, PSR750, Korg PA3X, PA800 and PA600 are simply great keyboards and though not perfect will offer great pleasure to most musicians. ( Ketron included). I know you will not spare Roland if necessary, but I think it would be wiser to vent your criticism of e.g. the PSR-950 if you actually played and owed one yourself. No offence....

regards,
John

#360414 - 02/05/13 06:32 AM Re: It had to be done. [Re: john smies]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Got it. Thank you John. I had never heard the expression before.
Eddie

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online