SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#359985 - 01/31/13 01:28 PM OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Although its not something the usual buyers for these instruments would play. (Naff sound recording but probably done on mobile)

Bill

#359995 - 01/31/13 04:42 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Rock is Dead!

It just got buried...

#360001 - 01/31/13 05:30 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That was an awful video. It sure didn't make the Wersi look or sound desirable.

#360014 - 01/31/13 06:43 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
So THIS is what the OPPOSITE of Rico looks like 'performing'... that big intro, and then...???
Was the leather jacket supposed to make her a 'rock star' ???
confused1

#360017 - 01/31/13 07:46 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
C'mon guys - be nice! It was a lousy recording - nothing more, nothing less.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#360028 - 01/31/13 11:59 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Uncle Dave]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
While it was an awful video with bad sound ... I still totally agree with Diki. It was the cheesy organ replacing classic rock lead vocals that killed it. Better quality audio wouldn't have helped, actually might have made it worse.

I play in a classic rock cover band and that sort of treatment would not be well received in the bars we play in. Rock music absolutely must retain its hard edge. Not that organ doesn't play a primary role ... but not the way this demo used it.

Whoever thought up that demo concept should have thought again.

#360029 - 01/31/13 11:59 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

No, it was a lousy performance. Sorry, but a leather jacket isn't going to make her rock one iota. Spinal Tap got more rock in this little finger than.... this other little finger!

This makes the Ruttles sound like Mettalica!

You've heard of 'Soft Rock'? Well, this was 'Flaccid Rock'! And if there's anything rock should never be, it's flaccid!

#360030 - 02/01/13 01:28 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Uncle Dave]
abacus Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

Its a Lowrey which are designed and made in the USA, NOT a Wersi

Bill

#360031 - 02/01/13 01:33 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

I was more intrigued that Lowrey are now fitting Rock Styles in their organs, (Rather than the performance) which would seem to indicate they are trying to move into a younger (Relatively) market.

Bill

#360033 - 02/01/13 01:54 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Rock, as in 'Rock around the Clock'? LOL Even that might be a stretch, for this behemoth. Maybe 'Rock of Ages'..?

I think that's as close as rock on one of these is ever going to get!

#360038 - 02/01/13 03:59 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave

I am starting to worry about you.. smile

#360042 - 02/01/13 06:54 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

#360043 - 02/01/13 07:35 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
124 Offline

I reckon this was a wind up. Good 'un, Bill! LOL!

#360045 - 02/01/13 08:05 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
it's interesting what is being said here is being said also about the arranger keyboards we use. at one time i had a tyros, roland va 76 and a pa 80 on stage. many times musicians and others would say " oh i see your're playing one of those portable "1 finger organs". in some cases if i didn't have a keyboard like roland fantom,korg triton,yamaha motif , hammond i would not even be considered. i use to teach and sell for lowrey , i'm amazed that they are still in busines. by the way, i still play out on my psr1000 and korg i5 and do just fine in my retirement. i think it's funny that they put these styles in the organ. times are a changin.

#360046 - 02/01/13 08:37 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: abacus

Its a Lowrey which are designed and made in the USA, NOT a Wersi

Ooops ... Lowrey, Wersi, Wurlitzer (home organs) ... never did it for me. Sorry

#360055 - 02/01/13 09:31 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Wrinkles... You know what? I've been playing arrangers as band keyboards for close on 20 years. Not ONE musician has ever come up to me and said (disparagingly) 'Oh, you're playing one of those portable one finger organs'!

In fact, the large majority, if they say anything at all, it's 'Wow! What is that you are playing? I've never seen one of those before! Sounds fantastic...'

Bottom line is, unless you rub their noses in the auto-accompaniment stuff, they haven't a clue what it is unless you ARE using a cheap Casio or Yamaha BOTL model! My Roland's have always LOOKED 'pro', feel 'pro' and sound as 'pro' as anything from the WS side of the coin. It is still more what you PLAY than what keyboard you play!

A couple of full time WS players with no arranger needs at all have heard me on the G70 and gone out and bought one for their live band work... So much for 'one finger organ'!

#360064 - 02/01/13 11:24 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Diki]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i agree, give me my arranger keyboard and i'll make money. in fact i've made more money and with a lot less work with my old korg i5 and psr1000 than i have with all other keyboards(organ and piano) combined over the years. it's just funny what people say. i'm looking at a new korg pa 600 and a yamaha s750 this year just for my home use.

#360091 - 02/01/13 06:37 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Diki]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I wonder if Organs will ever make their way back; after all what we are playing is one level of an organ.

My first Wersi Organ had a removable top – it separated from the Amp. and pedals. I was great but I bit too classy for who the people I was playing for. The sounds were too clean.

John C.

#360103 - 02/02/13 02:11 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

The only generation that venerates organs can't lift them any more...

Just sayin'!

You can't get anyone here to even move a 45lb arranger!

#360116 - 02/02/13 05:33 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

I miss my Old Lowery....
Hmmmmmmm just need a leather jacket?.... keys cool2 confused2

Attachments
dpLowrey.jpg

#360117 - 02/02/13 05:48 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: bruno123]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
I wonder if Organs will ever make their way back; after all what we are playing is one level of an organ.

My first Wersi Organ had a removable top – it separated from the Amp. and pedals. I was great but I bit too classy for who the people I was playing for. The sounds were too clean.

John C.

something interesting is happening. Up until recently the two Organs in the music school are unused except for the odd retired person, but in the last year or so, more youngsters have been asking about the instruments as they have never seen them before! 5 or six years ago, the teenagers coming in for lessons equated the organs with 'one like Grandads'...but it seems like the biggest majority of organ players have now, erm...moved onto greener pastures, so the current crop of teenagers are new to the organ. We have a few of our youngsters learning to play.

If one of the manufacturers was to do a relaunch with an education program aimed at a young player (with suitable material) its just possible it might take off.

#360118 - 02/02/13 06:34 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

This was also alluded too by Robert Bartha at last years Frankfurt Musikmesse.

#360125 - 02/02/13 08:15 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Thanks for the link, its good Wersi are recognising there could be a younger audience. Out of all the manufacturers, I would like Yamaha to pull away from the tired Tyros concept and move back to organs as they have the power to market properly. Not the Stagea type method of playing (big orchestral anthems) by registrations, instead simple, live sounding and interactive stuff that will appeal to younger people.

#360137 - 02/02/13 11:12 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Diki]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

Just sayin'!

Oh, fiddlesticks! Here I am pushing 70 and schlepping my Pa1XPro like a young 'un. Just call me Tarzan II. rocker

#360140 - 02/02/13 12:17 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: 124

Just sayin'!

Oh, fiddlesticks! Here I am pushing 70 and schlepping my Pa1XPro like a young 'un. Just call me Tarzan II. rocker

Thank goodness for the Rock N Roller... wink

http://rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com/

#360161 - 02/02/13 03:55 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: bruno123]
Diki Offline

In fairness, what we are playing is TWO manuals of an organ! Those older organs couldn't split the manual, so one would have been dedicated to the lower sound or any auto-accompaniment it was capable of, while our RH played the upper manual doing the solo sound.

Now, of course, one manual does BOTH jobs. And much, much more. In something a tiny fraction of the size and weight. Bottom line is, who in their right mind wants to go back to one of these relics for anything other than nostalgia?

#360174 - 02/02/13 07:25 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Diki]
SpclEd Offline

Loc: South Central USA
I wonder if there is a ATA case with wheels for it yet? I hope my back will hold up moving between gigs rotfl organ

Edited by SpclEd (02/02/13 07:25 PM)

#360181 - 02/02/13 11:29 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Diki]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Just sayin'!

When were any of us able to lift a 2 manual organ single handedly wink

#360182 - 02/03/13 01:31 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Nigel]
Tonewheeldude Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel

Just sayin'!

When were any of us able to lift a 2 manual organ single handedly wink

I have been for years smile but thankfully they are much lighter now - the KeyB Duo weighs 26 kilos, even Pizza Express Jazz club in Soho with the nasty stairs down the side is easy.

#360192 - 02/03/13 03:09 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: Diki]
abacus Offline

In fairness, what we are playing is TWO manuals of an organ! Those older organs couldn't split the manual, so one would have been dedicated to the lower sound or any auto-accompaniment it was capable of, while our RH played the upper manual doing the solo sound.

Now, of course, one manual does BOTH jobs. And much, much more. In something a tiny fraction of the size and weight. Bottom line is, who in their right mind wants to go back to one of these relics for anything other than nostalgia?

The thing is though Diki, organs have had split points for over 25 years so they are the equivalent of having 4 or 5 manuals, (Not a measly 2) plus they are far more flexible when playing live.

As to carrying them, if you come over to Europe you will find Men & Women, Young & Old carrying them without problems, (The same applies in Asia) its only in the US that folks seem to have problems.

Bill

#360322 - 02/04/13 11:15 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

LOL Bill... show me some pictures!

As Nigel said, who on earth ever moved one of those behemoths by themselves unless chopped down?

#360326 - 02/04/13 11:29 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

I have to say Diki you have really lost touch with what goes on in Europe these days.

Do a search for keyboard artists in Europe and you will find a boat load of gigging organ players, Male & Female, Young & Old, all transporting their own instruments?

Bill

#360390 - 02/04/13 11:40 PM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: abacus
I have to say Diki you have really lost touch with what goes on in Europe these days.

Do a search for keyboard artists in Europe and you will find a boat load of gigging organ players, Male & Female, Young & Old, all transporting their own instruments?

Bill

Ummm a Hammond B3 weighs 310 LBs .... how many people have you seen carry one of these by themselves? I am guessing none. I don't think you are talking about the same sort of organs that we were referring to. http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/WhatDoesAHammondWeigh

Attachments
weight.jpg

#360391 - 02/05/13 12:23 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Most of the gigging organists I see these days are using Hammond or Nord (or KeyB) clones if they are toting them themselves!

The big stars get cartage, someone ELSE moves their B3 or C3 around. Or there's a house B3 (if they are lucky).

How about YOU show me someone from Europe carrying their Galaxy, or Scala? LOL

Talk about out of touch!

#360393 - 02/05/13 12:36 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Hammond’s haven’t been big in gigging for years, the most popular are Yamaha, Roland, Technics, Wersi, Orla & Bohm, and yes the artists do transport them themselves.

You ought to pop over sometime Diki, however be warned, you will wonder where everything you knew has gone, and what you currently believe is not.

Bill

#360440 - 02/05/13 11:48 AM Re: OT 70s & 80s Rock portable for the oldies to carry [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Still waiting on seeing Klaus lift that Scala...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online