SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#359602 - 01/26/13 01:04 PM Re: Roland BK3 + iPad at NAMM [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

There are so many people, players, etc, etc,...that don't even know what apps are let alone configure them to integrate with a computer keyboard Os systems workings...why do they assume?
Then have to buy a tablet that costs half as much as the keyboard like the BK3 etc.. surprised
why not just play the ipad?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pro-keys/id364419812?mt=8

Edited by Dnj (01/26/13 01:10 PM)

#359608 - 01/26/13 01:41 PM Re: Roland BK3 + iPad at NAMM [Re: abacus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: abacus
Your both missing the point, the tablet would clip into a basic arranger and look and operate just like arrangers do today, (But with a nice big touchscreen) however the spec would be what YOU wanted not what the manufacture says you need.

Bill

I understand what you are saying Bill. As I said iPad connectivity sure is a cool feature. But looking at that BK-3 demo the iPad definately does not clip into the BK-3 but requires you to have an extra stand just to accomodate it. The nice thing about the new Casio synths is that they have somewhere built into the keyboard to hold an iPad.

#359611 - 01/26/13 02:29 PM Re: Roland BK3 + iPad at NAMM [Re: abacus]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I rather like that there is no forced position for the iPad. Some might like the iPad front and center, but some might want it over to the left, more out of your line of sight with the audience, etc..

And, let us not forget. Most musicians that already have an iPad already have some form of mounting hardware. There are mic stand adapters so you don't need to carry an extra stand, and many arrangers have a music stand, which would support the iPad front and center if that's where you'd want it...

Plenty of musicians already use iPads for lyrics viewers, SMF and MP3 playback, etc.. I guess my major beef is that it is iOS only right now. It's a shame the is no OSX version too. I'm not sure in its current form whether I'd need it on the gig. But as an easy Performance List editor, I sure could use one at home to organize my set lists. But with no iPad yet, I guess I have to wait for an OSX version.

This brings up a larger question, of course. Is the world better now that there are at least THREE more incompatible OS's (iOS, Android, bada) with apps that won't run on a computer or laptop? It must be a developer's nightmare. Time was, Windows or MacOS, and you were done. Now we have so many more choices. But are we better off for it?

#359626 - 01/26/13 10:16 PM Re: Roland BK3 + iPad at NAMM [Re: Diki]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
I think this is a good direction to go for both the consumers & manufactures. Apps can add features that are not possible to add on the keyboard (hardware). One good example i'm waiting for are virtual sliders to control styles or smf parts similar to Audya, E80/G70 of PA3X.

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online