SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#359246 - 01/22/13 11:16 AM Re: To PSR s950/pa3x owners (UD ,Don M and alike) [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
... with that pa3x you will make enough $$$ to buy a NEW house !!! rotfl keys

Well, maybe a six-pack of Coors Light. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#359261 - 01/22/13 05:40 PM Re: To PSR s950/pa3x owners (UD ,Don M and alike) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If the Roland weighing a ton is its disadvantage, getting TWO keyboards doesn't really address that issue! Put any two MOTL arrangers together, and you will still have more than the G70's 45 lbs..! confused2

#359262 - 01/22/13 05:54 PM Re: To PSR s950/pa3x owners (UD ,Don M and alike) [Re: jamman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My ONLY reason for taking the 950 out on the job over the 3x is the on board speakers. I play small places these days and its important to me that I hear the mix right in my face ... I sometimes don't get to turn the PA up loud enough to give me the sound I need to be comfy, or the best placement for my ears, and as a singer, that's paramount. I need to hear what I need to, WHEN I need to, and at a level that the room does not suffer from. The Korg just misses in that department in the smaller settings. Unless I face the Nano's right at me ... I won't get the monitoring I need, and they are not efficient enough to cover a room if they are facing bass-ackards. That's why the combo of 950 and Bose are working right now .... in my face and all around sound.

#359264 - 01/22/13 07:09 PM Re: To PSR s950/pa3x owners (UD ,Don M and alike) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Have you tried some earphones, Dave? If you are concerned about losing audience contact, try the kind that don't block your ears http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MA662G-B-Earbuds-White/dp/B000IK250U or find a review site to find the best of this type...

As they don't seal your ears off, you get a much more 'open' sound, and can still hear the audience clear as a bell. The only thing I would advise is an inline volume control (some earphones have them, some need an extra one added http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20-Volume-Control/dp/B00001P4XH so you can run your arranger's outputs nice and high and still be able to turn the headphones up or down independently.

It might allow you to use your Korg more often for quieter gigs...

#359307 - 01/23/13 05:35 AM Re: To PSR s950/pa3x owners (UD ,Don M and alike) [Re: jamman]
Uncle Dave Offline

I worked in a 10pc showband that used in-ear monitors. It was nice in that setting, but we were always on stages, far from the people. I am in their laps on my jobs and I think the phones would disconnect me ... even the open air type. Thanx for the suggestion, though. I am just a "speakers in my face" guy. It's been 25 years of this way - hard to change now.

#359325 - 01/23/13 09:46 AM Re: To PSR s950/pa3x owners (UD ,Don M and alike) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Try a cheap pair, heck you might have one hanging round the house!

As long as the Compact fills in the bass and a bit of bleed, TBH you need very little from the earphones. And the open type don't isolate you from the audience AT ALL...

Can't hurt to try! It seems such a little thing to be able to use your TOTL arranger..!

#359350 - 01/23/13 05:08 PM Re: To PSR s950/pa3x owners (UD ,Don M and alike) [Re: jamman]
Uncle Dave Offline

I hear ya, but my thing has always been vocals first, so my keyboard really has to be a vocal amp as well. I'd rather use my antique i5s and hear the right vocal sound, than struggle to hear my voice while enjoying the improvements that the higher end kbs offer. My rig is really just a vehicle to allow me to sing - what I play never really mattered. All I need is a good solid bass, generic drum patterns and some sort of chord sound - Rhodes is at the top of that list.
My dream rig from the 80s had a real Rhodes suitcase with a Moog bass and a Roland synth midi'd to a Korg module on top. I've had all the drum machines, but the SR16 was the best for me.
That's all I need these new ones to do for my live stuff - the DJ/juke box aspects offer more fluff, and that's great too, but I'm a Rhodes, Bass, Drums guy with a singer.

#359371 - 01/23/13 09:06 PM Re: To PSR s950/pa3x owners (UD ,Don M and alike) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Big fan of the SR-16 myself...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online