SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#359129 - 01/20/13 10:05 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
This is one of the best EVH type keyboard emulations I have ever heard, and anyone saying anything different hasn't a shred of rock left in their bodies!

Whether you prefer the REAL Clapton to Eddie Van Halen, or would like Wes Montgomery over Steve Vai any day, what you are critiquing is the MUSIC, not the keyboardist's emulation of it. This is as good as it gets, and I am utterly convinced there isn't one person here capable of shining this guy's shoes at this particular style.

Shame on you... Sometimes the pathetic 'brand wars' idiocy on this forum blind you to talent. I can only imagine how fulsome the praise of this would be were it performed on a Yamaha, or a Roland. Take those stupid blinkers off, guys, and get back to what's really important....

MUSIC..!

If you can't appreciate the skill in this because you have lost the ability to rock on, and are gaily waltzing down the over-50 path, you need to up that testosterone dosage!

Rock on! rocker

#359135 - 01/20/13 10:38 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don't need 'em... still got my rock 'nads intact, thank you very much!

I grew up with Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and for all my appreciation of jazz, or reggae, or classical music, I still get the thrill when I hear great rock. Makes me want to fire up the B, crank the Leslies to overdrive, and open up a can of whup-ass!

Losing the 'rock' in your life is like losing interest in pretty girls. A very bad sign!

#359138 - 01/20/13 11:17 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey, I love rock music (in all it's forms) as well, or more than the next person, and I still play my fair share of it.

However, in all genres of music, including Rock (maybe especially Rock), technique without musicality lacks soul. This demo has a fine guitar sound but, in my opinion, the solo has too much technique, and not enough musicality.

I admire and acknowledge great technique, but I somehow expect it to be in the service of a musical vision.

The great soloists(guitar and otherwise) are simply great musical story tellers....they keep it interesting, and that's what sets their music apart from those who haven't learned that aspect of the craft yet.

AND...Let's try to have differences of opinion without resorting to direct and/or indirect insults.

Play nice, please. There's no need of being rude and mean just because you don't understand, or agree with, another person's equally valid opinion.

Ian

#359139 - 01/20/13 11:20 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"If you can't appreciate the skill in this because you have lost the ability to rock on, and are gaily waltzing down the over-50 path, you need to up that testosterone dosage!"

I've been sitting here for the past hour trying to emulate this guy and it's way harder than it looks. I can play that fast, and I can work the controllers, but I can't get a feel for WHAT to play. It's because I'm not a rocker, unless you call Check Berry a rocker! when I get to going too fast I lose the feeling. I sure do like Eddie's ex-wife though.
I'm gonna stick to oldies and blues and country! I'm getting into Zak Brown Band stuff.
DonM

#359142 - 01/20/13 11:59 PM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
This demo has a fine guitar sound but, in my opinion, the solo has too much technique, and not enough musicality.

I admire and acknowledge great technique, but I somehow expect it to be in the service of a musical vision.
Ian

As I have already pointed out this thread is ALL about technique and not whether or not the musical style appeals to your own taste or not.

If someone posted a clip of someone emulating Metallica most members here would not appreciate it it musically ... and although that is not my favorite style if the performer could pull it off successfully on a keyboard I would still admire their technique.

Once again this thread is simply about technique and not musical style. If anyone here can provide a better example of emulating Van Halen type guitar playing I would be pleased to hear it.

#359143 - 01/21/13 12:08 AM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I understand that, Nigel.

Thanks.

Ian

#359144 - 01/21/13 12:41 AM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Actually one of my favorite keyboard guitar emulations is from 6 years ago, Voodoo Chile using the RealStrat Windows software from Musiclab.

If you haven't heard of RealGuitar/RealStrat software here is a tutorial that shows some available features.

And now in a country flavor

They also have RealLPC for Les Paul Custom emulation

#359153 - 01/21/13 05:14 AM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Wow, that Jeff Abbott in your post above, Nigel, is amazing. (And his rig and software.) Some examples are not that real but many are fab.

#359161 - 01/21/13 07:04 AM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
Beakybird Offline

I'm not that much into '80's speedo guitar, but I was pretty impressed with that demo. It sounded realistic to me. I would like one of those ribbon controllers on my Yamaha.

I grew up playing the guitar, and I love emulating guitar sounds on my keyboard. I think I'm experimenting with some stuff that's not as fast as this demo but also technically impressive - and more tasteful IMO. I'll post something within the next couple of weeks. I don't record myself as much as I should.

#359163 - 01/21/13 08:15 AM Re: Amazing KORG Pa3x Rock Guitar demo....wow!! [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I watched my son's fingers flying across the frets for a years, a time when he was the lead guitarist in a Grunge band. He was right up there with the top players in the nation, IMO, and his band went on a national tour. About the 10th day of the tour, friction between a couple players broke out, he had the driver stop the bus, he got off, somewhere outside Atlanta, GA, and hitch-hiked home. I guess my point is, while I was not enamored with the Grunge style of music, required incredible talent and musical ability. When I listened to the demo, it was in many ways similar to my son's style of playing.

Now I'm an old codger, enjoy good guitar playing/picking, and for me Les Paul, The Ventures, Chet Atkins, and many others of that era, were my guitar heroes. I made a few dollars when I was much, much younger by playing a guitar and singing to a crowd of drunks in a smoke-filled, hillbilly bar. So for me, the demo really didn't impress me musically. Granted, the person has a lot of skill emulating the guitar on his arranger keyboard, but personally, I enjoyed watching Don Mason perform at lot more than the demo.

Just my opinion,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/21/13 08:16 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online