SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#358413 - 01/10/13 07:57 AM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: lahawk]
Dnj Offline

many times this also happened when I demoed Dave's S950 the voice cancel only reduces the lead vocal a bit but you can still HEAR it in the background which is not acceptable IMO don't be fooled by the hype,.....this feature is not perfected yet unless it is done with much more expensive sophisticated audio gear. Your better off using a pro backing track, or recording your own using style or smf, etc,..using in a home situation, might be OK but NOT on a gig in front of an audience.

But If you want to TRY removing the vocals from a song heres a Free program you can fool with.......

Edited by Dnj (01/10/13 08:17 AM)

#358414 - 01/10/13 08:06 AM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
As I said, Donny, the effectiveness depends on the initial recording...it's no different a situation than having one midi file (SMF) better produced than another.

Certainly a performer wouldn't be stupid enough to go on stage without trying out the quality of either?

I still think it's a great feature, but as with any other (including a SMF), a bit of testing before using in public, never hurts.

Ian

#358416 - 01/10/13 08:13 AM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: lahawk]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
The reason it does not work,( even on Yamahas Ian wink ) is that voice cancelling works by removing the centre of the stereo field, which is where 99.9% of engineers place the main vocal...but because there is also some panning to the left and right fields, as well as the effects which are also panned left, right, or both - means that even if the centre is cancelled, the panned vocals/effects audio still sounds.

You also can get some loss of instrument audio if the engineer has centered some of the instrument frequencies as well as main vocal.

This is why NONE of the voice cancelling algorithms actually work (including Yamaha) fully. You get VERY mixed results depending on the original recording...it is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the vocal from any recording. Unless you get the original multi track tapes (or the digital equivalent) and then re-master to stereo with none of the vocal parts in the mix.

#358418 - 01/10/13 08:20 AM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Of course, you are correct Dennis...however, most people are quite happy with the results.

Also, I think this feature (yes even on Korg, Dennis wink ) is meant more for home use than stage...you know, a bit of fun for the user.

Ian

#358419 - 01/10/13 08:30 AM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: lahawk]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yeah, I already know I am correct I didn't need validation wink

I was just pointing out to other readers who may be interested that no matter the spin you put on it for Yamaha, it does not work all that well..even for home use.

I doubt you need to defend the Yamaha Ian, or use your subtle "marketing spin" that does seem to appear in posts that MAY be actually criticising an aspect of a Yamaha Arranger, as I seriously do NOT think you will lose one sale because it wink

#358421 - 01/10/13 08:41 AM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: miden]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: miden

I doubt you need to defend the Yamaha Ian, or use your subtle "marketing spin" that does seem to appear in posts that MAY be actually criticising an aspect of a Yamaha Arranger, as I seriously do NOT think you will lose one sale because it wink

"Marketing spins" even subtle ones, certainly aren't needed to sell Yamaha products...I never use them myself. wink

I am truly looking forward to my demo YAMAHA S950 just to play around with that cool vocal canceling feature.

Ian

#358675 - 01/14/13 08:13 AM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: lahawk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
To get back to the OP... if I read the manual correctly (love to be proved wrong, tho!) these audio multipads do NOT loop.

In other words, if you want a pad to go on for 16 bars (and it is a 2 bar phrase) you are going to have to manually ask for it every two bars. Either that, or import the audio into an audio editor, and copy/paste it so it becomes a 16 bar .wav file (and consequently, uses up your RAM faster - or does it read direct from USB?).

Not setting a simple 'loop flag' into the S950's .wav player (which is an old and perfectly standard code) turns what could be ground-breakingly useful feature to one far more suited to being a gimmick or a karaoke feature.

Yamaha's NEXT version of the PSR might be a pretty good arranger if Yamaha fix the audio functions, and change it from a karaoke playback machine into a musical INSTRUMENT. This dumbed down, crippled taster isn't really cutting it, for me at least. Several features with great unrealized promise...

#358706 - 01/14/13 04:46 PM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
What happens if you set the audio pad to loop in an external mixing program, before importing to the S950?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#358713 - 01/14/13 07:13 PM Re: PSR S950 Multipad Audiolink and USB Audio Demos [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
To answer my own question...according to the manual:

Automatic repeat playback is not available
Only one Pad can be played back at once
Chord Match cannot be applied

Still...it's a step in the right direction, but for now, it's an OK fun feature as used in the above video.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online