SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#358668 - 01/14/13 05:52 AM Laptop AC Connection
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have an ASUS i7 laptop that has a connection problem. I have to position the cord so that there is a little tension to the side before the light will stay on.

It is not the adapter, so I expect that the jack hat was stressed, perhaps causing a break in the cold solder. Even though it working now, eventually, it may not.

Replacing the jack means disassembling the whole laptop, since it is one of the first to go in during assembly. Even an exterior jury rigged hard wire isn't much easier.

My only other thought is to get an additional battery, and keep one charged, if there is some means of charging outside the laptop.

Any thoughts?

#358670 - 01/14/13 06:45 AM Re: Laptop AC Connection [Re: Bernie9]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hi Bernie,

The cost to repair should not be that much, probably less than a new battery, and add to that, External Battery Chargers Are Not Cheap

If it was my laptop, I would forget the external laptop charger, get a few estimates and fix it, as Asus is an excellent product worth the cost.

Good Luck

More Info if you decide to try it yourself:

Either that or visit Gary in Florida...he would probably help ya smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#358671 - 01/14/13 06:47 AM Re: Laptop AC Connection [Re: Bernie9]
clover_kid Offline

Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA
Bernie,

I have had this repair done to several laptops. The charging plug becomes loose on the motherboard. It is a tricky repair. I have used several of the service that advertise on Ebay for "laptop charging jack repair". Ran about 75.00 plus one way shipping. Refunded if they can't fix.

Good Luck.

C_K

#358672 - 01/14/13 07:30 AM Re: Laptop AC Connection [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Larry and C_K

Thank you both for fast reply and great advice. After watching the videos, I think I will get estimates, and send it out. It is a great laptop, and only a year and a half old.

I bet I will watch pinching the connection the next time.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online