SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#358926 - 01/18/13 02:25 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
As I mentioned Diki it’s a difference between the US & the UK & Europe, in that punters just don’t like full on style play or button pushing, (Unless you’re a DJ) so bar owners etc. don’t hire them because they would not be able to recoup their costs.

Remember live bands, groups, solo singers etc. are fairly common in most parts of the UK these days, so punters appear to be a little more discerning then in the US. Also unless it is a concert, sitting down is not so prevalent over here with even the oldies getting up and enjoying themselves with good entertainment. (Unless it’s a restaurant if a lot of the punters are siting then the entertainer is not entertaining and needs to up his game)

Remember it’s a long time since you moved from the UK and things change a lot in only a few years, so it’s probably nothing like you remember.

Bill

#358970 - 01/18/13 05:07 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, when I left England, there wasn't any 'automatic music' at all..! And over here in my part of the world, there's only a tiny handful playing arrangers or doing full sequenced solo gigs on keyboards. Now, back in the 80's (maybe early 90's) the solo synth player/singer did very well, but that reflected current pop music (your Thomas Dolby's and Howard Jones's, Human League, etc.), but around here nowadays, that vast majority of solo acts are acoustic guitarists doing the singer/songwriter book, etc..

In truth, what you read about here at SZ as far as gigging tends to be primarily Nursing Home entertainment, then the remainder is mostly restaurant background/foreground music, and represents only a TINY fraction of whatever 'live' music is going on in any area. The 'punters' are just as discerning over here, trust me!

The vast majority of my playing work comes from live bands, with only a minority being duo or solo work. Our 'scenes' aren't as different as you might think, with the exception of the 'working men's clubs', although I think outside my vacation destination area (on the Gulf Coast of Florida), in more working class areas, similar kinds of functions exist.

You get a very skewed picture of club entertainment in America if you only read this forum!

#358971 - 01/18/13 05:15 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Diki, You're partly right about the "scene" here, in the US. But there are lots of 3-4 and even 5 piece bands working for darn near the same money the good, strong soloists are making. I average at least twice what a typical band mate would get in a small - med combo. Show bands, and good wedding bands are a different story. It's true, the more prominent club scene does not feature a soloist, but they don't pay the bands all that much either ... A strong soloist can make the same money in ONE hour at a nursing home that a club player works for FOUR hours without all the aggravation, late nights and alcohol issues.
If I wasn't teaching full time ... I'd be the nursing home guy too!

#358973 - 01/18/13 05:20 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Well, the post wasn't really about pay scale... IF you can get the gig, of course you are going to make out better than a full band per player.

I guess my area is a bit different to most cities and non-vacation destinations.

#359015 - 01/19/13 08:59 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I didn't mean to make it all about the money. I guess I was trying to point out that around here, at least, there is plenty or "work" for larger bands, but the question is ... is it good work?

#359019 - 01/19/13 09:51 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There's almost no work in my area for larger bands - even the best wedding bands. I know several top bands that a decade ago played a wedding nearly every weekend. Now, if they get one a month they feel it's a blessing. OMB entertainers pretty much have the Baltimore restaurant circuit tied up, most making less than $150 for a 4 hour job. Some make $100 or less.

The senior circuit nursing homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities, senior centers, etc..., pay $100 to $150 per hour for OMB entertainers, arranger keyboard players that can sing, and provide a very diverse song list ranging from big band to late 70s.

So, where do the DJs and KJs fit in the scheme of things? From what I've observed they're tightly lodged in the American Legions, VFWs and animal clubs. Most of those that I know personally, tell me they're making about $150 to $175 for a 4-hour job, work weekends only and many tell me their audiences have dwindled significantly over the past two years. Some feel the KJ biz may be falling to the wayside within the next few years.

The DJs seem to be entrenched in the wedding biz, but because the competition is extremely high in this economy, their prices are falling. Just 5 years ago wedding DJs were in high demand at the larger halls and commanding prices to $1,200 for a large wedding. Now they're down to about $350 to $450 for the same size wedding at the same halls.

Just my personal observations in my part of the world. Your experiences may differ, and I would really like to read about them.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#359117 - 01/20/13 09:22 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Originally Posted By: Uncle Dave
I didn't mean to make it all about the money. I guess I was trying to point out that around here, at least, there is plenty or "work" for larger bands, but the question is ... is it good work?

Well, is it still about the money to be 'good work'?

Let me think... either work with a machine or three or four other great musicians that will challenge and surprise you, push you to be better, and take you on a musical trip that you never quite know where it's going...

Hmmmmm..... Tough choice!

#359119 - 01/20/13 09:26 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yeah, especially when the mortgage payment is due wink

#359121 - 01/20/13 09:32 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Show me the money, I can JAM with the guys on my days off!
smile
DonM

#359131 - 01/20/13 10:16 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
Diki Offline

Round here, if you can get the band work, it doesn't pay much less than the solo stuff. Unless you are doing NH and the like. Vacation areas , especially in season, can afford a decent band.

I'm sorry, but it's still more of a calling than a job, for me... I'm happy taking a cut, to play with the kind of players we have round here. You punch up that Rock1 style, or Bossa3, and it's going to be the exact same parts it was yesterday, and the day before, and the day before...

I would fire any real player on the spot that was that robotic and predictable. Arrangers are a VERY poor substitute for GOOD players.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online