SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#358745 - 01/15/13 03:30 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: abacus]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Bill,

We're talking about what's available on the arranger, not about what could be had as add-ons or using external programs. Beeeeeg difference...

The topic header begs for an answer and then demonstrates exactly how easy it is to do on-board that specific arranger.

My answer: Yes, it has been & even a LOT easier than this example...

But Bill, don't worry my friend, by now you know me, that I love my Audya & that I always put my money where my mouth is...

Keep well my good friend,

Henni

#358747 - 01/15/13 05:09 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: Henni]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Henni
Hi all,

On the Audya, you can start with a blank style, choose any audio drum, which automatically takes care of drum intros, endings, breaks & fills.

Next, choose an audio bass by only scrolling through the hundreds of audio loops available, slightly different one for each variation. Also automatically takes care of all fill ins.

Exactly the same with ALL the other style tracks, EVERY single one of them. Just highlight, scroll, listen & select. Hundreds of loops available for each track.

On top of this, all of those instruments will play different loops for different chords without you having to do a thing...

I bet one could create a COMPLETE Audya style in less time it takes to create only one variation on the Yamaha & it will sound super professional as the pre-recorded loops takes care of that!

Henni

This method sounds a bit similar to Style Assembly, where I can choose tracks from my own personal set of donor styles, each one a little different.

It sounds far easier on the Audya, but still appears to be much the same process, although it probably is quicker (and more convenient) on the Ketron since the loops are already broken up and categorized.

BTW, Henni, I was very impressed with your huge number of style conversions available (for free) on PSR Tutorial...very good work indeed, and they are great source for me as donor styles to use (in Style Assembly) to make my own "Frankenstyles" wink as well as being played "as is".

Making a style the way Bert does in the video requires a fair amount of playing skill and knowledge of basic music arranging as well as how to set note limits and triggering (and a few other details)...using loops, as you have described on the Audya (and somewhat similarly available on the other brands), is far easier for most arranger users/buyers.

The more familiar you are with your arranger's style making features the less time it will take to make a style...of course, that is a rather obvious conclusion. blush

Ian

PS...IF, and that is a big "IF", you ever had an issue with your Audya, no matter what the cause (accidentally dropping it or something spilled into it like sugary soda) what do you have as a back-up for that scenario? Have you considered another Audya (as a back-up), since quick service doesn't appear to be available where you are?

#358751 - 01/15/13 06:00 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: ianmcnll]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi Ian,

No, I've never had a spare arranger in all of my life. Hopefully I won't need one also...

But if anything should happen, I'll replace it with a new one, expensive or not. (Sure I can have it within three weeks if I have the funds) I am just THAT impressed with it. On top of this, I have faith in Darren (Ketron UK) & AJ (AJAMSONIC). I guarrantee that those two gentlemen will look after me, as they did till now.

Thank you for the compliment. I've now done the same for the Audya, so at last, they also have many, many thousands of rather good free non Ketron related 3rd party styles available to mess around with.

Keep well my friend,

Henni

#358781 - 01/15/13 12:02 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: Henni]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Guys like Uncle Dave And Don Mason are stylists. I think that people are attracted to their interpretations of tunes, so producing a tune so it sounds exactly like the recording is not only not necessary, but not desirable.

I can see where players like these two could get by on a few (10-15) styles, with their interpretations of songs making the real difference.

Works for me!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (01/15/13 12:04 PM)

#358783 - 01/15/13 12:19 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
That's true Russ...they both know how to work a tune...and an audience.

Ian

#358787 - 01/15/13 01:35 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: captain Russ]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Guys like Uncle Dave And Don Mason are stylists. I think that people are attracted to their interpretations of tunes, so producing a tune so it sounds exactly like the recording is not only not necessary, but not desirable. R.

Agree Russ, if it sounds exactly like the record, might as well be a (cough-cough) DJ smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#358789 - 01/15/13 02:22 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup - I always said that it was an insult when people told me I sounded "like the original". They mean well, but I know it means that they didn't listen that closely, or they would be able to get my spin on the tunes. At any rate - I'm glad they LIKE it ... I do the stylization for me too. I like to rework and revise things on the fly. It's exciting and creative.

#358795 - 01/15/13 05:17 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
How many people have created there on styles on Korg Arrangers?

#358797 - 01/15/13 05:49 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have lots of audiences that tell me I sound exactly like Roger Whittaker, especially when I sing "The Last Farewell." Keep in mind that I use an onboard style for that song, but I play the French horn intro as close to the original as possible. I sincerely believe it makes a big difference of whether or not the audience accepts and enjoys the song.

Some forum members say I sound a lot like Dean Martin, something that I often hear from my audiences as well. I perform a fair number of Dean Martin songs, especially those that are done in both English and Italian. Now, I don't speak a word of Italian, but I can sing those songs phonetically. It took quite a while to be able to do this, but I've been pretty lucky, I guess, because no one throws eggs and rotted fruit at me when I sing those songs in Baltimore's Little Italy and for the Sons Of Italy groups in the area.

When I perform for some Spanish speaking crowds, I always get a request for La-Bamba, which again, I sing phonetically. At one time I could speak Spanish fairly well, but because I have not had to do so for decades, I've lost that ability. With La-Bamba I play the intro using layered guitars and the onboard Cha Cha style. As soon as they hear that intro they're singing the song along with me and on the dance-floor.

I believe that this a very important aspect of being at least somewhat successful in this business. But, I could be completely wrong.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#358815 - 01/16/13 04:17 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: travlin'easy]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

My conclusion: It seems like there is two "schools" of keyboardists/entertainers.

One, those who like to play songs as close to the original songs as possible. For this styles with many instruments, specialized intros/endings etc. are required.

The other, those who like to play their own interpretation of songs. For this some few generic styles will do the job.

Just an observation
Jørgen

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online