SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#358582 - 01/12/13 11:02 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: spalding1968]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
styles are simply too busy with over arrangement . A drum , percussion bass and guitar string or horn pattern for most purposes is more than Sufficient

That may be true for your purposes, but that may not address the needs of many others. Some like busy, full styles. ( I sometimes do) You still get the ability to modify styles to your taste - choices are a good thing.

#358583 - 01/12/13 11:05 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
Dnj Offline

+1 for FULL styles......
that's what variations are for more or less.

#358601 - 01/12/13 07:30 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Dave,

I think you once said something along the lines of "I only need maybe 10 styles and be able to play almost any song."

I don't remember your exact quote, and the exact styles, (maybe you could clarify) but the more I think about it...you may be right about that.

In any case, as Gary has pointed out, there are so many styles available, especially for Yamaha, I only ever tweak from those I like the best, and never found the need, or desire, to create a style.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#358603 - 01/12/13 08:11 PM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Larry, I DID say something to that effect. I have a user bank filled with "bread and butter" styles that allow me to play almost anything in my dance repertoire. Specialty numbrs are another topic, but for basic, generic tuneage - I have had great success with a little tidbit Roland came up with 25 years ago called the "EZ Eight". It was an expansion card for the early E series arrangers and here is what it had:
swing2,8beat3,16beat3,disco3,waltz4,2beat,latinbeat and slrock2.
I've modified it a little over the years, but name me 10 songs, and I bet I can play 8 or more wth just these beats and my manual bass hand with RH piano chords.

#358617 - 01/13/13 01:51 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Before the knocker box came into being, (Or style engine as it’s called today) players used to be able to play any song anybody wanted with no problems, whether on piano or organ, so to say you need masses of styles to play a large repertoire of songs is poppycock.

If you do use multiple track styles, make them sound like you, as otherwise you will sound the same as everyone else out there. (Remember great players are known for THEIR style of playing, not the keyboards style)

Also remember that styles are there to enhance YOUR playing not the keyboard manufacture, which is why they are secondary (And some would even say irrelevant) to the performance.

Another point of view

Bill

#358620 - 01/13/13 02:53 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: lahawk
"I only need maybe 10 styles and be able to play almost any song."
I only ever tweak from those I like the best, and never found the need, or desire, to create a style.

I have about 50 styles that I created using "Style Assembly" that are the basis of most of my tunes. These styles have the Intros converted into playable Variations and/or stop/fills and comprise the usual 8 Beat, 16 Beat, Rock Ballad, 6/8 Ballad, Waltz, Swing Waltz, Jazz Ballad, Big Band etc., and all are unique in some way from the factory styles.

I try to avoid using "song specific" styles...that's why the instrument we play is called an "arranger", so I try to put my own spin, or "arrangement", on a tune if possible.

I also have a collection of "donor" styles; styles that have unique strumming, arpeggios, phrases, pads, bass lines, percussion tracks, and I draw from these to use in creating something fresh, but still having a recognizable stamp on it.

"FreePlay" styles, both my own, and Yamaha's versions, are a nice change from drum pattern based arrangements.

I've never considered using styles a crutch...they're part of the art, and my palette of backing sound colors can range from the basics to a full blown orchestra, depending on my mood and/or what I am trying to present to the listener.

Many years of playing the Electone organ and not using styles, but simply a drum track, bass pedals and left hand chording/phrasing, has taught me to be expressive with the very basics, but I also like the both the freedom and restrictions of playing within/around a style.

We don't have to sound like someone else who has the same make or model arranger keyboard...sometimes, all it takes is a bit of exploring into the instrument's style creator (even a simple "re-voicing")and a little imagination.

Ian

#358630 - 01/13/13 06:25 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: ianmcnll]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I guess I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to styles. I want that song I perform to sound as close to the original as possible. I want that intro to be spot on, the variations to accentuate the song as it progresses toward the end, the right hand instruments to have the effects used in the original song, and the ending to be as close as possible to the original. The only thing different, of which I have absolute control, will be my vocals.

Last night, under the stars at the marina Tiki Hut, I performed for nearly three hours, during which time I provided the audience with a huge variety of music. When I utilized the keyboard's onboard styles I played my own intros and endings, performed a half-dozen Jimmy Buffett tunes, none of which used the same style. Each style was unique to that song.

When I performed At Last everyone knew what song I was playing after the first seconds of the intro. Same was true with Bad Leroy Brown, Stand By Me, New York - New York, Old Time Rock & Roll, etc..., they're all distinctive. I don't want every cha cha to sound the same as the one I played an hour ago - I want that variation outside the variations within the style itself.

There are a huge number of performers down here in Paradise, all competing for the meager dollars paid in the lowest pay scale area of the United States. Many play for $50 a night - yep, 3 to 4 hours for $50. Most are guitar strummers with a small, tinny sound system, a Shure SM58 mic, the guitars are usually acoustic with some sort of pick-up, and most of them sing. They tend to perform a variety of songs, but after 20 minutes, each of those songs begins to sound the same as the last song they played. The reason behind this is they tend to use the same strumming technique with each and every song. Granted, they'll change the beat a bit, and some use drum machines, but in many respects it's like the guys using arranger keyboards and the same dozen styles for every job.

So, last night I began playing at 6 p.m. to an audience of just 2 people. On this particular evening there were bands playing everywhere on the island. There was lots of competition on the island's music circuit last night, some that had been heavily advertised. While the night began to look like a practice session, within a half-hour I had 50 people at the Tiki Hut, all of which said they had began their evening at other locations. Most stayed until 9 p.m. and said they wished they had come earlier. There were lots of great comments this morning about the quality of the music and the variety, most asking if I would be performing again next Saturday evening. I love my job. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#358639 - 01/13/13 08:35 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I can see where having the style as close to the one of the song can be important, especially if you are doing clubs, so in that situation, I'd say you'd probably be more in the majority, Gary.

I stopped doing bars and clubs over 20 years ago, and probably because I'm a non-drinker (and non-smoker, although smoking is outlawed here in bars), I grew tired of the whole scene, and quite frankly, do not miss it at all.

My specialty has been background music, and amateur video soundtracks; it suits me to a "tee", and my arranger fits the role perfectly.

However, I can't imagine only using a dozen styles for a restaurant job, unless it was to make a CD, where there would be a dozen songs, but, because I do not do vocals, and play instrumentalss, I'll try and give standard tunes a different spin, including sometimes, different chord progressions (I rarely change the basic melody, except when improvising solos) and of course, using a different style, sometimes even changing the time signature by substituting, for example, a Slow Jazz Ballad for a 3/4 English Waltz.

For some reason, it all works very well for me, although, I must say, I am very careful with my arrangements and spend a lot of time getting them right, much the same as I do with my own styles.

But, I do understand very well, your situation, Gary, having been there myself, and having watched people scamper to the dance floor immediately upon hearing the familiar intro to Seger's "Old Time Rock And Roll", or Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" I really do get the importance of song specific styles.

I just don't use them nearly as often.

Ian

#358643 - 01/13/13 08:58 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: joso]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: joso

Sorry folks, creating a style is rather easy. But creating a good/excellent/outstanding style requires hours of work...

Jørgen

Well said joso

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#358644 - 01/13/13 09:01 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
Dnj Offline

I'm with Dave, .....I have a well chosen and edited "Easy 25" that I use and can do just about any song with these personally customized styles....
no need for any more.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online