SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#358549 - 01/12/13 12:01 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Yes Ian. The only thing that would tempt me to change now is better
Sounds. To me right now the tyros 4 is the clear winner in terms of sound . But it's not a great workstation in the way that I need it to be , sampler sequencer and full inboard editing. If it had it would probably be my next and last keyboard purchase for the next ten years. Right now my korg like diki's g70 does most things incredibly well for all the musical environments I use it for
, but style creation is the most under used feature on all arrangers and more should be done to help folks fully use and explore these unique instruments.

#358550 - 01/12/13 12:34 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I tried Style creating from scratch as per the video, and it was a once and done thing for me. Way too difficult. I'll stick with editing current styles, or even better try the thousands of free Yamaha styles available across the Web universe.

Remember the video demo showed only one variation of a style, and to create a full blown style complete with intro, fills, endings, OTS etc. is very time consuming and difficult. Fun for some, but not for me. Maybe the cost of purchasing a style might be justified after all.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#358553 - 01/12/13 01:20 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: lahawk]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

Originally Posted By: lahawk

(snip)
Remember the video demo showed only one variation of a style, (snip)

... and only 3 instruments... (drums, bass, piano)
There are 5 more patterns to add (one more chord2, a pad, two phrases, and perhaps another percussion)

Plus alternative chord-dependent patterns...

The video is a gimmick; not that easy... Not at all...

Jørgen

#358557 - 01/12/13 04:34 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I hear what you say but styles are simply too busy with over arrangement . A drum , percussion bass and guitar string or horn pattern for most purposes is more than. Sufficient . There is a saying give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. But teach him how to fish and he can eat for a life time. Stop relying on the push of a button to purchase styles and take the time to learn how to make styles. Most styles you will purchase are simple re workings of existing styles anyway.

Edited by spalding1968 (01/12/13 04:35 AM)

#358558 - 01/12/13 05:00 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: spalding1968]
joso Offline

Hi

I hear what you say too...
Some styles are over arranged, I agree... but I guess this has lot to do with personal taste... ;-)

Jørgen

#358567 - 01/12/13 09:36 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: spalding1968]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.

Again, for me, making a style from scratch is more like work than fun. I wish I had the patience, but i tried, and found it's "Just not my cup of tea"

Maybe some kind of workshop for style making would perk my interest, but in the mean time, I'll remain lazy smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#358570 - 01/12/13 10:14 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Creating a style requires a lot of time and effort to get that style to sound the way you wish. I've created about a dozen styles, all of which took more than a day's work. It can be somewhat frustrating for some, challenging for others, and downright impossible for folks that either do not read, or do not comprehend the instructions very well. For those individuals I recommend either modifying onboard styles to fit your needs, or looking for suitable style files at the PSR-Tutrial or other similar sites.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#358572 - 01/12/13 10:29 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Most users want to create a style for a specific song, so the best way is to get a Midi file of it (Choose one you like the sound of) and make up your style using this.

Another option

Bill

#358574 - 01/12/13 10:38 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: J Strickland]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yes, I've done this, and it works. I used Jorgen Sorensen's Midi to Style program, which does all the basics, but you still have to do a fair amount of tweeking and tuning to get that perfect style for a specific song.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#358578 - 01/12/13 10:51 AM Re: Has making a style always been this easy??? [Re: travlin'easy]
joso Offline

Hi Gary

Right.
midi2style gives a functioning "raw" conversion (mostly).
Because software have no ears, you will have tweak voices, volumens etc. to suit the human ear.
Next comes personal taste... style complexity, number of instruments, balance between instruments, etc. etc.

Sorry folks, creating a style is rather easy. But creating a good/excellent/outstanding style requires hours of work...

Jørgen

Edited by joso (01/12/13 10:51 AM)

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online