SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#357344 - 12/22/12 09:38 PM I Have Rediscovered the B3 Sound
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I guess it had to happen sometime. In my younger years I played B3 for the better part of a dozen years. When I moved to Baltimore in 1980 and got back into music, whenever I mentioned organ, it was frowned upon. Both here and Washington DC much prefered piano. Even in a OMB, they prefered a piano approach. Not being one to buck city hall, I brushed up on my piano skills and have had a great run here. As I've said many times before, once I discovered arrangers, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Well last week I purchased the S 950 and I have spent every spare moment programming registrations. I have 7 full banks ready for my gigs. And then I found the organ sounds under organ flutes. Yes, my Tyros and S 900 have these as well, but not the extent of the S950. It gives you virtual drawbars and a leslie switch. In no time at all I was virtually back at my old B3 and having a ball. In the process I have been listening to the organ jazz greats such as Jimmy Smith, Joey De Francesco and Tony Monaco. And so I'm having a love affair with the whole B3 sound. I have progammed 2 banks of just organ stuff. I don't know where I'll ever use it as I play mostly in retirement communities, but I'm having a hell of a good time. And isn't that what this is all about?

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Joe

#357383 - 12/23/12 07:33 AM Re: I Have Rediscovered the B3 Sound [Re: Songman55]
Dnj Offline

Joe glad to hear your enjoying your new KB...
Merry Xmas to you and yours...

#357399 - 12/23/12 10:09 AM Re: I Have Rediscovered the B3 Sound [Re: Songman55]
124 Offline

We all know the B3 is king (I had to make do with a 'prince' - the M102 for donkey's years), but on these modern arrangers organs are represented well enough for the audiences we encounter on a day to day basis - and they're the ones paying the wages. One in a hundred wouldn't know Jimmy Smith from Klaus Wunderlich anyway, so it's mainly from a personal standpoint that we bemoan the lack of a real B3.

#357504 - 12/24/12 06:53 AM Re: I Have Rediscovered the B3 Sound [Re: Songman55]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I hear ya Joe ! I miss my B3's and I've had a bunch of clones over the years. The best I've played is the XK3. But with the necessity to downsize even more I sold that and got the Roland VR700. I know some keyboards have great Hammond sounds on them but I still wanted something with drawbars. I do miss having two manuels but the VR700 lets you split the 76 note keybaord and I can use my PK5 pedals with it too. I'm very satisfied with the sound.
Great to know that another musician form the good old days is having fun with some classic sounds.

Bill in NJ

#357577 - 12/25/12 06:39 PM Re: I Have Rediscovered the B3 Sound [Re: Songman55]
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Two things... if you are playing an organ sound from your arranger without a swell pedal, or the keys are set up so the sound is velocity sensitive, you just don't 'get it'... LOL

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online