SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#357176 - 12/21/12 05:37 AM PA systems - Passive or Active?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'd like to know member's experiences (and opinions) concerning Powered vs. Unpowered PA systems (in typical stereo configuration). Other than Nearfields in the studio and small spot monitors on stage, I had never used powered speakers in a gig setting. I recently upgraded my PA by replacing two unpowered Cerwin Vegas/Mackie 808s powered mixer with two EV SXA250 powered speakers with small mixer. First mixer I tried was Fran's vaunted Edirol M10-DX but found that combination too 'digital' sounding for my liking. Switched to an old Samson 16 ch line mixer and voila', much 'richer' analog-sounding output. Only problem, I wanted the flexibility of having the speakers at least 25' away from the mixer and that produced a noticable hum with the unbalanced cables I was using. Solved that problem by replacing those cables (mixer to speaker) with medium quality balanced cables. Never had that problem with passive speakers (and speaker wire is a heck of a lot cheaper than good quality balanced signal cables. Have not really encountered any other problems but now I am forced to use additional powered speakers if I need monitors or expanded coverage. With the passives, I could run additional passives directly from the power amp or even from the back of the mains.
I'm still ambiguous about which I prefer but would like to hear some other views. Please exclude Bose and other line-array clones. BTW, the old Cerwin Vegas sounded much better with a mixer and old QSC power amp than they did with the Mackioe 808s, but the Mackie was just so much more convenient. It (808s) is available if anyone is interested. Thanks.

chas

#357191 - 12/21/12 07:26 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: cgiles]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
HI. Active speakers are way to go.They went down in price it is much better to get them than passive speakers.And you can chain them too if you want to add more speakes.The thing with passive speakers is they sound different with different amp.So if you want maximum from them than you really have to know what you are doing.Active speakers amp is already tuned to it's speaker,and result is much better.
You have a lot of choice there.From QSC K seria,or JBL PRX600 seria,RCF Art seria,Yamaha DSR and DXR.Although I didn't like dxr that much.Even old mackie 450's still sound good.Ev ELX seria.
It all depends what you like and how much money you want to spend.Also active subs make a big difference in sound.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#357192 - 12/21/12 08:00 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: cgiles]
Tonewheeldude Offline

If your on a budget check out the Solton Aart sat, it is the best system under £1000 I have heard. Has a nicely balanced frequency range with the all important mid range required for modern keyboards. It has an Active Sub and two Passive tops (via Speakon Connectors). The Amplification is via B&O ICE power. Honestly you will be amazed.

For the past three years I have been on a quest for a good quality system for our Audya customers- and apart from Ketrons own system the Solton blows everything else out of the water. Bose L1 system comes in a close third, simply because it lacks a little mid range.

For home use - Active Studio reference is the way to go, as Mirza says, the cost has come down massively and even budget systems are better than standard keyboard PA or those ghastly Yamaha MS speakers for Tyros.

#357194 - 12/21/12 09:03 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: Tonewheeldude]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Speakers designs relating to cabinet size + drive unit acoustic performance.
Major Benefit of Powered Monitors is that the built in amplification also plays a big part as this can be tailored frequency wise which enables better performance from smaller cabinets than could be obtained from normal passive monitors.

#357196 - 12/21/12 09:10 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Before I went to Bose, the best powered speakers I found were Barbettas. I had a couple of sets, but I actually preferred the smaller ones.
You have to be a retired pilot to afford 'em though!
smile
DonM

#357197 - 12/21/12 09:12 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Before I went to Bose, the best powered speakers I found were Barbettas. I had a couple of sets, but I actually preferred the smaller ones.
You have to be a retired pilot to afford 'em though!
smile
DonM

...hmmmmmm ... could that be anyone we know? ... and might he have a few stashed in a warehouse somewhere? grin

#357202 - 12/21/12 09:50 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

While we all have different needs regarding ALL our gear, I appreciate the fact that there is one less piece of 'heavier' gear to carry using powered speakers ... I most often use a small mixer

which I can keep pretty close to me for any necessary changes ... the VH and kb plug into the mixer into the speakers ... but on smaller gigs I can take one speaker and jack the VH and kb directly into the speaker plugs ...

#357206 - 12/21/12 10:12 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think, overall, that there are good and bad examples of BOTH kinds of systems, Chas.

Currently, I kind of have the hots for the QSC K-series, several bands and bar/clubs in my area have them. But I already have a nice powered mixer with dual effects (I like my reverb and echo sends separate, and tap tempo control for delay) so I use passive tops (Yamaha's) and a powered sub (Mackie).

But if I was starting from scratch, I might go with a passive mixer and powered tops and a sub. The only downside to the powered tops is you have to run TWO wires to each, for signal AND power. Plus, if either amp OR speaker components go down in a powered system, you lose both until it's fixed - at least with passive, your power amp goes out, you only have to replace the amp, not the speakers as well!

Caveat to all the NH, quiet restaurant players here... this gear is for full on, live band/loud club volumes. If all I needed out of a PA was background levels, my recommendations would change! But I know Chas is MUCH more into live music than arranger solo work!

#357210 - 12/21/12 10:25 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
But I know Chas is MUCH more into live music than arranger solo work!

True dat.

smile

chas

#357211 - 12/21/12 10:34 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: cgiles]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I tend to agree with Diki...I only use powered speakers as a "needs must" deal..

I think it is far better to have the EQ -active x-over - amp - speakers system. If one item goes down, it is very quick to replace...in some case it can be replaced immediately, not to mention the complete flexibility and control over your soundscape, plus the ability to "mix'n'match components to suit your tastes...

Whereas the powered boxes usually use proprietary components, and even if one had the knowledge and experience to do the repair themselves, often the replacement part could take weeks or even months to arrive...

When I was running the sound for my 4 and 5 piece bands, it was ALWAYS passive speakers and subs...using the above system. But these days doing it as a solo, I find the powered boxes far more convenient.

I do run in mono, and as I have two FOH mains and the sub, there is a spare on any given night as I can quickly change the one on monitor duty over to FOH..I have rarely seen a sub go down...

I must say though that even now, I miss certain aspects of the "full" system...but if you are doing as a solo, then maybe the compromise powered boxes might be the go....I tested quite a few on the frontline and the best so far were the QSC K series, and don't laugh, but the M-Audio GSR Series (seriously) under-rated!!!

Dennis

#357214 - 12/21/12 11:26 AM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: cgiles]
Tonewheeldude Offline

For the past couple of years I have used a system consisting of a XENYX 1832FX mixer. Running through a Ketron 1400 PA system

But for smaller venues (up to 200 people) I will now be using XENYX 1002FX with Aart 8

#357221 - 12/21/12 12:19 PM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Another advantage of powered speakers is that you always have a backup if one goes down. If your main PA head blows ... you're dead. With a separate mixer and 2 actice cabs - you've got options. Lucky for me the Bose can't break.
smile

#357224 - 12/21/12 12:37 PM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Powered speakers +1 all the way....who wants to carry a big heavy powered mixer, amps etc everyday to gigs.... surprised
Chas seriously when it comes to sound systems don't listen to anyone here just buy and enjoy what YOU like to listen too headphone .....it's the old scenario....

"hey did you see that great movie?"........
"yea, I saw it,....it was terrible!!" wink

Edited by Dnj (12/21/12 12:43 PM)

#357247 - 12/21/12 09:25 PM Re: PA systems - Passive or Active? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

As had often been said "do what is best for you!!!" smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online