SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#357218 - 12/21/12 12:00 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi Tom,

I had a M-3 before I went bonkers for a B...used a 147RV (147 with reverb) with it, and when I bought the B-3 I bought a second 147RV cabinet.

The M-3 was manageable with two guys, but the B-3 was a whole different animal, even with the strap on handles/dollies. The C-3 was worse, but it's cabinet apparently stood up better to moving due to not having the seperate legs like the B-3.

Keyboard players back then needed a van or truck just for their gear alone.

Ian

#357219 - 12/21/12 12:16 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: Diki
Put two keyboards in front of any of you guys... A B3 into a 147 and a clone into a 147, I'm pretty sure I know which one you would all sit down at!

And that, when there are no other considerations (moving it, having enough room on stage, ease of getting at your arranger at the same time, etc.) is the bottom line. You walk into a club, and there's a Nord and a Leslie, and a B3 and a Leslie...

Be honest. You'd go sit at the Hammond every day and twice on Sundays!

I'd sit at the Nord, so I could use the sustain pedal!

#357220 - 12/21/12 12:17 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hammonds are terrible to maintain and move.

I LOVE THEM! I have a B-3, C-3 M1 and an old 1949 M.

Leslies: 145, 147RV and C-60.

I am so lucky that one has a permanent home and gets played regularly.

When Big jobs come along, if needed, I move the B-3.

Russ (evidently, nearly dead) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (12/21/12 12:19 PM)

#357225 - 12/21/12 12:57 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
The Nord C2 is really nice, but it just doesn't cut it for me. Real drawbars are what I like.

Are you unaware of the Nord C2D? I've had mine for several months now. It sounds even closer to a real 'B' than the C1 (which I also have). Personally, I could live without drawbars but got the C2D for the improved sound engine.

chas

#357226 - 12/21/12 01:06 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
My first church job was at the Naval Air Station Chapel in Key West and it had a C3 and a 147. A C3 is B3 with a church style cabinet. This rig sounded great. When I was in my early 20's I had a B3 and a 147. I didn't haul it around. I played a 6 night per week gig for 6 years. I used this with a drum machine. I also put a bass pedal unit on there so the pedals sounded like a bass player instead of the organ sound. I built a huge following with this setup. From there I took a job as part of the management team of a large resort hotel in St. Thomas. The hotel shipped my organ down there and rented it from me for 2 years. After coming back to the states I sold the rig to the hotel. While I still have very fond memories of it, I wouldn't want to own one today. The organ sounds I find on the boards that I use are sufficient for my needs.

Joe

#357227 - 12/21/12 01:11 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: ianmcnll]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
For my money, the XK3c is by far the nicest "portable" I've played. The Nord C2 is really nice, but it just doesn't cut it for me. Real drawbars are what I like.

The double manual XK3c felt and sounded so much like a my old B-3, it was scary.

If I was playing in a blues band and played predominantly organ, I'd have the XK3c double manual in a heartbeat.

Haven't tried the KeyB Duo...no dealers here.

Ian

I also think the XK3c is the clone winner....but I also have not played the KeyB(declared the best from those that played it)..

BTW: you haven't lived till you did home demos...hauling a Hammond to potential buyers (homes)....You did your homework and qualified them first grin

For those from my area..that was Joseph Gerard Hammond on Olden Ave, Trenton NJ

Edited by Fran Carango (12/21/12 01:16 PM)

#357229 - 12/21/12 01:23 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
For my money, the XK3c is by far the nicest "portable" I've played. The Nord C2 is really nice, but it just doesn't cut it for me. Real drawbars are what I like.

The double manual XK3c felt and sounded so much like a my old B-3, it was scary.

If I was playing in a blues band and played predominantly organ, I'd have the XK3c double manual in a heartbeat.

Ian

I also think the XK3c is the clone winner....but I also have not played the KeyB(declared the best from those that played it)..

BTW: you haven't lived till you did home demos...hauling a Hammond to potential buyers (homes)....You did your homework and qualified them first grin

Fran did you ever sell this Organ you had? cool2

Attachments
organgirl.jpg

#357231 - 12/21/12 01:35 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

Ian

Fran did you ever sell this Organ you had? cool2

I gave it away...even the gal could not get me an offer.. smile

#357232 - 12/21/12 01:36 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I've played the C2D, Chas...the sliders are very nice indeed, and do not feel cheap, but I guess I'm more attracted to the more B-3 like drawbars on the XK-3c...even the much less expensive Hammond XK-1 has very nice feeling drawbars (and same rotary sim as XK3c). I must say, though, I was very impressed with the Nord's key feel...very fast and smooth. I probably could get to like Nord's sliders/drawbars as they are a darn sight better than my Tyros4's sliders for drawbar changes.

As far as overall authenticity, the Nord's sound is easily the equal of the current Hammond models, including the Chorus Vibrato, which I think they have nailed dead on. The C2D is also very light, especially for a two manual instrument, but I still have a fondness for the XK3c dual manual, even though it's a lot fussier to set up and break down...the Nord can be carried under your arm...pretty cool.

I tried Hammond's new SK-2, which is more in line with the weight and portability of the Nord C2D, and if I had to choose between them, I think I'd go with the latter. I thought the SK-2 felt a tad cheap compared to the Nord.

The SA and drawbar organs in the Tyros4 are fine for the several organ tunes I play on arranger, but if I was playing in a combo, I'd want a two manual dedicated organ instrument. I also really like the XK3c's reversed color key presets that are located in the same place as the B-3, and with the right setup you can get some really effective wah-wah type effects by alternating between two presets.

If and when there was a rhythm guitarist at the jam where I play my old B-3, giving my left hand more freedom, I used to love doing solos while manipulating the drawbars...you probably know how cool those bars can constantly shade a single note line harmonically.

Have you tried the KeyB Duo that TWD mentioned?

Ian

#357236 - 12/21/12 03:41 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
In my 20's and 30's I was an organ player. Now I'm an Arranger Artist! Skipped right over piano.
Still, if there was a B3 and Leslie set up in my living room I'd play it sometimes.
DonM

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online