SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#357100 - 12/20/12 01:26 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tony Hughes]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
there's not many people around now that want to sit and listen to Hammond sounds, most are dead, twas an acquired taste anyway not for everyone and bit like the Beatles, I couldn't stand them, jazz played on a Hammond either, no sense to it.... rotf2

Don't know too many MUSICIANS that would make that kind of statement, Tony, especially the "no sense to it" part. I'm not a big fan of Country music, but I'm not prepared to write it off. Although not my favorite genre', there are just too many individual Country songs and artists that I DO like (Willie Nelson is my favorite, he's like the Snoop Dog of Country music....but with a good heart).

Personally, I think there are probably nearly as many fans of (Hammond) organ jazz as there are of classical or theatre organ (maybe not in Europe). I don't think there are many people that like both. I think the Hammond was invented partly as an affordable replacement for the hugely expensive pipe organs of the time. Failed miserably at it but found a new niche as a popular instrument in popular music. Never looked back and it's unique sound has endured and prospered to this day. "no sense to it" or just no sense to it TO YOU.

From now on, if you want to pick on something, Tony, pick on.......the Accordion (just kidding, TonyMad, just kidding smile smile smile ).

chas

#357101 - 12/20/12 01:35 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
That would be a Yamaha TX-816 Chas...essentially 8 DX-7's (or TX-7) in a rack mount unit.

Ian

Yeah right, memory starting to go (among other things). In any case, I've got the entire thing plus two extra modules plus all the cables (they needed balanced cables with 'mic' ends if I remember right). Was working fine the last time it was fired up (probably ten years ago) but who knows? I'm a worse pack-rat than Russ.

chas

#357102 - 12/20/12 01:38 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had a TX81Z and an FB01. The TX81Z was midied to early arrangers, like Technics KN800. The FB01 was midied to DX7, and later a V50. An Alesis drum machine was also in the midi line. And I used a Yamaha processor for pitch shift, sort of a do-it-yourself vocal harmonizer. Also used a pedal phase shifter for pseudo leslie effect. Of course this called for a really big mixer, a couple of effects units, graphic equalizer, BBE, compressor/limiter, etc.
Today, we can get all this for $1500. in a 25-pound package!
Ain't life GREAT!?
DonM

#357105 - 12/20/12 02:23 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, are you joking?

Russ (current Hammond standard bearer) Lay

#357106 - 12/20/12 02:31 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
When is Tony NOT joking? LOL

#357121 - 12/20/12 04:51 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Tony, you never liked the Beatles? You are dead to me and I contacted my lawyer to remove you from my will. May the fleas of a thousand camels invade your crotch and your arms be too short to scratch. It's Christmas time so maybe only 500. smile Hammonds were not only jazz instruments. Listen to Blood Sweat and Tears "You've made Me So Very Happy". Hear that glorious Hammond in the band with the Leslie ramping up and down at just the right time. Listen to "Gimmie Some Lovin" and how Stevie Winwood uses his Hammond. Go to a black gospel Church and listen to the player use the Hammond. There is still nothing like it. And there are still perhaps millions who like to hear the sound. It's just you who doesn't. Different strokes and Merry Christmas.

Edited by Tom Cavanaugh (12/20/12 04:53 PM)

Tom

#357143 - 12/20/12 10:47 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Tony Hughes Offline

Hi Guys,

There must be a bit of truth in what I say because only two of you have come in support of the Hammond ( as I knew you would) and one for the Beatles, not a true representation of SZ is it. unless like me the other don't care, many more may dive in now. When we play our KB I suppose it his nice to try to emulate the music we are play as close as possible to the original, it turns people's heads, Whiter Shade of Pale, Telstar and so on, the measure of how good a AKB is, is how much it sounds like the original when we play. On my T4 I have Wersi samples, Wurlitzer and some Hammond samples, they all sound good, but how good I don't know. I do care because I too would like people to say, hell that's like the original. I am not going to lose friends because it doesn't. Tom I agree with you that there is nothing at all like the sound of a Hammond, stop trying to emulate it on a plastic arranger, they sound good but they are not there yet and never will be, read what TWD says about emulating a Hammond , he's your man on Hammond's, him and is dad know more about Hammonds than anyone I know... I hope you all have a very happy Christmas and your bank balances reflect it after.. party

Tony
rotf2

Can any of you play like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEr-AKJr-LI hells you can't LOL or make your arranger sound like this... rotf2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKme27M6xU You built them in the US of A and now all kit is biult in Italy, whatever happened.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#357147 - 12/20/12 11:38 PM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Tony Hughes Offline

When the Lexus was first produced a team of Toyota engineers roamed the World recording the sounds of car door shutting, they visited UK, USA, Europe, went into all the car showrooms and recorded them, people perceive if you shut a car door and it sounds like a train door solid then the car is good, sounds similar to what we try to do with AKBs, next time you see a Lexus try closing the doors and listen, I think they got it right, sounds just like a C3 if you listen closley, or I have I got C3s ringing in the brain, whats left of it... headphone
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#357160 - 12/21/12 03:01 AM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I remember Ethel would rent my B-3 every time she came to Palm Beach to perform, although, she was about three times the age she was in the video. This was in the seventies.

She was a crotchity PIA.

#357164 - 12/21/12 03:57 AM Re: That Hammond sound? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Tony, maybe the lack of responses is because of the time of the year. Everyone is pretty busy now. I do believe with a good Hammond clone and a real 147 Leslie it would be too close to call. Thanks for your input and have a blessed holiday.

Tom

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online