SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#356697 - 12/15/12 08:26 PM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: Songman55]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
The word of the day is WOW!! This board really has some balls and some incredible sounds. And this is through the onboard speakers! The audio styles are amazing. So far I've read about the swing styles, but the latins are to die for. And I play a lot of latins. Most of my bread and butter styles are on here with one exception, the 40's ballad style that I used for Moonlight Serenade. I can easily upload it. It plays midi, mp3 and wav files beautifully and lets you manipulate them. I haven't hooked a mic up to it yet. I had a double today and I have a big production in the morning. Maybe tomorrow afternoon. I am so happy with the S950! I should go to bed but I know I'll stay up at least another hour just to hear this amazing board.

Joe

#356698 - 12/15/12 08:37 PM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: Songman55]
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Joe: How does the Grand Piano sound in the 950 compare to the T3 or T4 or your previous PSR keyboard?

#356726 - 12/16/12 12:24 PM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: RobertG]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: RobertG
Joe: How does the Grand Piano sound in the 950 compare to the T3 or T4 or your previous PSR keyboard?

Compared to the Live! Grand on the PSR-S910, the Live! Concert Grand Piano is warmer and more stately. It sounds more like a Steinway (Of course, piano aficionados will most likely object). While the older piano voice is still available, Yamaha doesn't use it in any of the onboard styles.

#356755 - 12/17/12 08:47 AM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: Songman55]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: Songman55
The word of the day is WOW!! This board really has some balls and some incredible sounds. And this is through the onboard speakers! The audio styles are amazing. So far I've read about the swing styles, but the latins are to die for. And I play a lot of latins. Joe

I liked the Latin styles too. The salsa is fantastic as is the bossa nova too. I hope Yamaha continues to make more audio styles available. It seems like a lot of folks here see the audio styles as some sort of gimick but I think Yamaha is on to something very cool.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#356812 - 12/18/12 12:19 AM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: Songman55]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Montuno... read up about how you will have a very limited ability to load new styles into the S950. I think you will find yourself disappointed. At best, you will only be able to get a tiny few more in there, and you won't be able to load them in and out on the gig. If and when Yamaha get around to making them. They include NO tools for you to be able to do this for yourself - in fact, these styles are as protected and proprietary as the old arrangers that you couldn't make styles for, and the only new styles you ever got where what the manufacturer ONLY ever sold you...

Yamaha need to do pretty much a total makeover of this feature for it to be of any PRACTICAL use.

#356820 - 12/18/12 01:18 AM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: Diki]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Diki,

I simply do not understand why you keep on bashing the new Yamaha keyboards, even in this thread where folks seem to be over the moon with their purchase. YOu know I am basically a Korg man myself but I did buy the PSR750 in addition and though I did have my doubts at first and though I would be the first to admit it is no PA800 , in particular in the drum department, I am rather pleased with my set up. The folks overhere who have gotten the PSR950 seem to be well pleased without any exception still you deem it necessary to fault these new boards in every possible way. I know you are a senior and valued member to this forum, all the more reason why I fail to understand where you are coming from...

REGARDS,
John

#356834 - 12/18/12 06:34 AM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: Songman55]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

Yamaha has always had a small amount of RAM memory available, but keep in mind it has always been sufficient enough to atore up to 30 style files, plus a huge number of registrations. However, in recent years they've overcome this problem by modifying the software for their MFD, which now allows user to access files directly from their USB drive, thus the number of available, third-party styles is virtually unlimited. The loading time of style files is usually less than a second, depending on their size and complexity.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#356864 - 12/18/12 12:06 PM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: john smies]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

Diki,

I simply do not understand why you keep on bashing the new Yamaha keyboards, even in this thread where folks seem to be over the moon with their purchase. YOu know I am basically a Korg man myself but I did buy the PSR750 in addition and though I did have my doubts at first and though I would be the first to admit it is no PA800 , in particular in the drum department, I am rather pleased with my set up. The folks overhere who have gotten the PSR950 seem to be well pleased without any exception still you deem it necessary to fault these new boards in every possible way. I know you are a senior and valued member to this forum, all the more reason why I fail to understand where you are coming from...

REGARDS,
John

John,

Worry not, it's only like me having a go at Diki and his G70, it's what ever turns you on and things are moving on a crazy rate, you do need to change you KB a few time in ten years to keep up, thats if you want to keep up. I understand where you are coming from John, keep up the good work.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#356865 - 12/18/12 12:21 PM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: Songman55]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Diki is not bashing the S950, he is just pointing out some flaws which some users may find disappointing after they have had the S950 a while. (It might sound great when you get it, but once you go deeper you may find it limiting, and Diki is just giving you something to think about before or after purchase)

Bill

#356866 - 12/18/12 12:28 PM Re: The S 950 arrived today! [Re: Songman55]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Congratulations on your new S950, Joe.

It is quite an awesome arranger...you will really enjoy it.

Even with it's relatively modest price, it blows away TOTL arrangers of not that long ago.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online