SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#356137 - 12/08/12 09:03 PM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Chas, I think you are ignoring several more recent features that makes using automatic rhythm section stuff FAR more flexible and capable of going off the page. Obviously, for starters, there's using arranger mode, so chord substitutions, key, and structure can be totally changed on the fly.

Then there's the dynamic duo... Using Markers in SMF's so that a static song structure can be completely twisted around on the fly depending on needs, extended, shortened, extra vamp sections optionally inserted, and the Chord Sequencer, which allows for capture of a basic 'head' chord structure, and then allows hands free repetition of it while you jam two fisted to your heart's content, all the time still being able to fill and change variation and key, etc. on the fly (hands free again with a footpedal)...

Add to that, at least with Roland's, the ability to totally revoice a style from hard and rocking to soft and jazzy on the fly, with a mere button press or two. Same style, several orchestrations...

The only thing holding you back may be unfamiliarity with these tools, or unwillingness to try them. Sure, if you have an on call rhythm section at your beck and call, willing to play for peanuts (or free!) 24/7, you are good to go. But when this dream doesn't pan out, don't dismiss the machines so lightly. If you WANT to have a lot of on the fly control, the gear CAN do it. You just have to use the tools...

#356152 - 12/09/12 05:31 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
The only thing holding you back may be unfamiliarity with these tools, or unwillingness to try them. Sure, if you have an on call rhythm section at your beck and call, willing to play for peanuts (or free!) 24/7, you are good to go. But when this dream doesn't pan out, don't dismiss the machines so lightly. If you WANT to have a lot of on the fly control, the gear CAN do it. You just have to use the tools...

Diki, I respect your opinion (as being valid for YOU), but I also think that mine is equally valid for me. I'm not insisting that everyone agree with MY point of view but since it is all subjective and a matter of personal philosophy, I'll just stick to the opinion that works for me.

I have nothing against arrangers (since I own four), and I believe they have many legitimate uses in the world of music. But for me, playing 'live' (in their INTENDED USE mode) is not one of them. We all acknowledge that they are just the latest iteration of the 'home organ' and other early auto-accompaniment 'instruments' designed SOLEY for home entertainment, and that (in THIS country, at least) that STILL accounts for the majority of their sales. I know, and have known, literally hundreds of professional musicians, and I can truly say that, except for the ones on THIS board, I don't know a single one that owns or has EVER owned, an arranger keyboard. I can also state, in all honesty, that I have never seen one used in a club, church, or concert setting. This is not to say that they aren't or can't be used in these settings, but it must mean SOMETHING that it is so rare. But here is the most important part; you, or no one else, will ever convince me that arranger music is equal to the joy, for both player and audience, of playing 'live' music with live musicians, on traditional instruments. As far as I'm concerned, you can program or pre-program anything you want (on synth, WS, OR even Arranger) EXCEPT the NOTES PLAYED. For me, that is the crux of a musical performance; everything else is just 'sound enhancement'. This is not an 'elitist' or 'purist' (or any of the other bullshit labels people try try to lay on you when they are trying to delegitimize your opinions) attitude. It may be an ARCHAIC attitude from an old school, 'ol dude who still likes solo jazz piano, live theatre, and fresh deli sandwiches, and just hasn't caught up or kept up with the 'future of music'. What can I say, to each his own.

chas

#356153 - 12/09/12 06:44 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Hijack?.... coffee

#356156 - 12/09/12 07:21 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Hijack?.... coffee

As someone who has broken every rule in the book (and then some), your constant harping about hijacking is getting a little tiresome. How about waiting until you officially become moderator, or hell freezes over, whichever comes first. Have a great day.

chas

#356158 - 12/09/12 07:44 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Hijack?.... coffee

As someone who has broken every rule in the book (and then some), your constant harping about hijacking is getting a little tiresome. How about waiting until you officially become moderator, or hell freezes over, whichever comes first. Have a great day.

chas

+1

#356178 - 12/09/12 10:40 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... NOW, NOW, children ... stop

#356180 - 12/09/12 10:42 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
It is a hijack!
Common, I wanted to know why is Korg Songbook so advanced...
wink

#356181 - 12/09/12 10:48 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Korg Songbook Definition:

A Registration Pre-set library system that can store all settings on the instrument for instant recall

Observations:

Nothing new or special compared to what’s gone before, but more comprehensive than most other manufactures.

From the posts and manuals this is how I interpret it.

Bill

#356184 - 12/09/12 11:01 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Ok, Whew!! ....now it's settled clap ... the KORG SONGBOOK is the Best Pro Performers navigational tool feature ever devised on an arranger KB...
I feel so much better now that I know I have this in my arsenal....It's a beautiful thing, cool2 ....
especially during this super busy holiday gig schedule that's upon us.

#356186 - 12/09/12 11:14 AM Re: What makes the Korg Song Book So Good? [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You know Donny, my old buddy, you are very fortunate to be able to go from a planned PA-600 to a TOTL PA-3X arranger despite the horrific financial issues that hurricane Sandy caused you and your daughter's family not long ago.

Thankfully some very kind and generous people came to your rescue, otherwise you'd be playing Christmas tunes on the old blue and butt ugly PA-500.

It's nice to know there are such sincere and supporting people out there.

Bravo to them all.

They have my total respect.

Ian

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online