SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#356132 - 12/08/12 07:03 PM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Fran,
I have had my s950 for over a month - used it on about 8 gigs with absolutely now problems at all. The S950s with the problem were shipped 6 months ago to None USA places and they have been recalled and replaced by Yamaha. The S950s shipped to the US were shipped with v1.02. The v1.03 has been available now for over 4 months in Europe.

And yes Fran the auto fill can be turned off as Ian said.
Deane

#356135 - 12/08/12 07:45 PM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It's sad when the only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions... wink

#356136 - 12/08/12 08:51 PM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran, I really don't think there's a solution to the reverb on audio drum parts. It's recorded into the loop (remember, these are entire loops, not time sliced like Ketron's). If it wasn't, and the kit was recorded bone dry, the only option would be to put reverb (from an insert, perhaps) on the entire loop, and one thing none of these arrangers do well is a decent drum room ambiance. Not to mention that the kick would tend to get too 'bloomy'.

In a perfect world, perhaps there would be TWO loops, one of the kit dry and one of the overheads and room mikes, and you could mix and match to taste, but odds are slim...

Anyway, the entire issue is moot... Ditching the whole bloody idea, and simply putting some well recorded KITS, with some 'air' sampled into them is the solution that makes Korg, Ketron and Roland's so superior to Yamaha's. Korg even allow you to vary the balance of the room mike samples separately from the dry drum...

I am amazed how utterly blind to this obvious, simple, and well tested method Yamaha are. They went to all this hassle and expense (not to mention, providing so few patterns it's a gimmick at best) all the while ignoring something they already HAVE. Korg, Roland and Ketron, back in the G1000 days all used the same system that Yamaha find themselves STILL in. Sterile, dry drum samples that you have to use a send effect to get any space around.

Korg, Ketron and Roland have moved on into the 21st century. Why do Yamaha still cling to their outdated method, and instead, provide a VERY flawed and marginally useful alternative? It's not like Yamaha don't know how to make great drum kits... their electronic drum it line is one of the best sounding out there. But it's like Yamaha have forbidden any cross pollination between divisions. Somehow, Roland don't seem to mind some of their V-Drums samples making their way over to the arranger division to improve things.

But Yamaha can't seem to realize this....

Shame.

#356145 - 12/09/12 12:39 AM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Good points about the drums, Diki.

I see the Audio Drums didn't make it on Yamaha's new flagship piano based arranger, the recently introduced CVP-609, so it's anybody's guess that they'll even show up on the next Tyros.

Considering there were only 25 Audio Drum Styles out of the several hundred on the S950, I might even hazard a guess and say it just may be a feature confined to the mid-range arrangers...in any case, time will tell just where, and how far, Yamaha intends to take them.

In my own experience, with a few exceptions, the reaction has been very positive so far.

I am still waiting for my demo instrument...sales have been very brisk, and it seems that filling back orders has taken priority.

Ian

#356146 - 12/09/12 02:55 AM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

At least the s950 is black....vs the s910.

#356150 - 12/09/12 04:13 AM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

I love my silver Tyros4...I can safely say it is the best looking, nicest sounding, and most enjoyably playable arranger I have ever had the pleasure to own, and I've owned and/or played mostly everything except the Audya and the Korg PA-600.

Every time I sit down to play, I'm still impressed with the awesome SA/SA2 voices, and the drums/kits are perfect for my needs. I have oodles of great Yamaha Premium and third party styles, all my own older custom Frankenstyles sound even better when re-voiced with the Tyros4's sumptuous tones, and the new styles I create (assemble) can be injected with so much unique character.

Possibly my second choice for a Yamaha arranger would be an S910, and, if buying from another manufacturer, it would be the Korg PA3X (61 key); but, as it stands, I am a very happy and satisfied camper indeed.

One thing for certain, I am glad Korg stopped making blue arrangers...I thought that particular color made them cheap looking.

Ian

#356154 - 12/09/12 06:52 AM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

I loved my Blue Pa800 & Pa500 it really pops on stage & matches my Yamaha MG102CX ... cool2
I can safely say they were some of the most innovative the best looking, nicest sounding, and most enjoyably playable arranger KB's I have ever had the pleasure to own, and I've owned and/or played mostly everything out there until I got the new KORG PA3x. This has taken my music up a notch with AWESOME sounding Music, Styles and Vocal Harmony, Songbook to a new level. It really inspires a musician to sit down and play. I'm glad Yamaha has finally made a black AS series unit to look more pro on stage also....Hope they continue with black if they ever make a T5.The audio styles I can do without. I don't think I will personally ever buy another Yamaha arranger KB again, but I wish everyone who has the new S950 good luck and enjoy what you play,....Merry Christmas to all!.

Attachments
IMAG0129.jpg

Edited by Dnj (12/09/12 07:12 AM)

#356157 - 12/09/12 07:37 AM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: Uncle Dave]
ianmcnll Offline

Same to you Donny...break a leg at your next Christmas gig!

It goes without saying that the currently available Korg, Yamaha and Ketron TOTL arrangers are all outstanding instruments (whether in black or silver color), and choice simply comes down to the player's personal idea of what constitutes the best sound/features for their needs.

Ketron were especially innovative with their great groundbreaking audio styles and, we mustn't forget AJ's hard work at boosting their performance.

Ian

PS...yes, Donny, we can be very grateful that the butt ugly blue PA-800/500 sounded much better than they looked. wink

#356159 - 12/09/12 07:54 AM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
PS...yes, Donny, we can be very grateful that the butt ugly blue PA-800/500 sounded much better than they looked. wink

KORG BLUE...

u·nique

Adjective
Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else: "the situation was unique in modern politics"; "original and unique designs".

Noun
A unique person or thing.

Synonyms
singular - single - only - sole - unparalleled

Edited by Dnj (12/09/12 07:56 AM)

#356160 - 12/09/12 08:15 AM Re: Maiden Voyange tonight - psr-s950 and Nano 300 [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well, one thing I don't particularly like on the 950 is that the grey buttons on black background are hard to see. You MUST have lights shining on them in a club situation.
DonM

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online