SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#355469 - 11/28/12 02:45 PM PSR-S950 doesn't power up my MIDI device
Beakybird Offline

I've been using a MIDI Solutions F1 Footswitch Controller (to get an extra footswitch) on my PSR's going back to the PSR3000. It relies on the passive MIDI current coming from the keyboard.

It doesn't work with the S950 - except at 70 degrees F. If it's a cool day, like 50 degrees F, and I bring my keyboard in to do a show, I have to wait 10 minutes from when I start performing for the MIDI Solutions F1 to turn on. Evidently, the current coming from the keyboard is weaker than past PSR's.

I'm looking around for other ways to power up my device as well as a battery operated MIDI Footswitch Controller made by someone in Ireland.

I'm frustrated that the S950 won't juice up my device.

#355483 - 11/28/12 07:53 PM Re: PSR-S950 doesn't power up my MIDI device [Re: Beakybird]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Oh Beaked One,
Can you tell me what is necessary for a midi foot pedal to address the 950? I want to get one, but not sure which to get.
I have considered Rolls Midi Buddy and Midi Moose. Midi Moose will work off battery, supposedly for 200 hours.
Anyway, I want to operate Break/Fill, Vocal Harmony Off/On, Text page down, for example. Is this hard to do? Can you tell me how, or can I figure it out once I have a pedal? Will the Midi Solutions F1 you have do this?
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I would like to know that also. Nobody really wants to carry around another power adapter.
Thanks,
DonM

#355510 - 11/29/12 05:48 AM Re: PSR-S950 doesn't power up my MIDI device [Re: DonM]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Oh Beaked One,
Can you tell me what is necessary for a midi foot pedal to address the 950? I want to get one, but not sure which to get.
I have considered Rolls Midi Buddy and Midi Moose. Midi Moose will work off battery, supposedly for 200 hours.
Anyway, I want to operate Break/Fill, Vocal Harmony Off/On, Text page down, for example. Is this hard to do? Can you tell me how, or can I figure it out once I have a pedal? Will the Midi Solutions F1 you have do this?
Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I would like to know that also. Nobody really wants to carry around another power adapter.
Thanks,
DonM

I see. I just want to add a single footswitch, not a whole bunch of pedals. I play standing up, and I wouldn't be able to use so many pedals. I'm not an octopus.

Unfortunately, at least with the PSR-S950, there are some commands that just can't be done via MIDI or sysex. You can't do FILL-TO-SELF - but you can choose a specific style section. I don't think you can do vocal Harmonizer On/Off - but look at the Data List.

I once purchased the MFC-10 for my PSR-S900, and I found out that you can't do as much with it as you can with a Tyros which was made to interface with it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#356077 - 12/07/12 09:18 PM Re: PSR-S950 doesn't power up my MIDI device [Re: Beakybird]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
A pedal similar to the mfc10 that would work as well with psr's as the mfc10 does with the tyros, would be a big money maker for yamaha IMO.
I do not see why one is not already available.
Perhaps someone can bring this to the attention of Steve Demming.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online