SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#355387 - 11/27/12 07:10 PM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: RMepstead]
madmax Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
That would certainly be the case with the drummer in my group!

Max

#355406 - 11/28/12 12:51 AM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: madmax]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Max, just curious, what sort of music is your band playing?

#355433 - 11/28/12 08:49 AM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: Nigel]
madmax Offline

We're a classic rock cover band which requires me to have some pretty authentic vintage keyboard sounds as well as strings, horns and synths. I purchased the KN5000 based on a recommendation from a forum member, but am finding it to be more of an arranger workstation than a peformance keyboard. That said, I'm still in the evaluation stage, which means climbint a fairly steep (for me) learning curve.

No matter what the outcome of that evalusaion, I plan to keep the keyboard; the various styles make it an excellent practice instrument.

Max

#355496 - 11/29/12 12:25 AM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: madmax]
Nigel Offline
Admin

That's like the sort of band I play with I use a Yamaha Motif 6 but I could easily use a good quality arranger instead.

#355527 - 11/29/12 10:03 AM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... great video, Nigel ...

#355540 - 11/29/12 01:14 PM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: Nigel]
madmax Offline

Hi Nigel,

Really liked the video; very entertaining and the musicianship is excellent. My group has good musicianship and vocals, but the three front men might as well be cardboard cutouts in terms of entertainment value. And,unfotunately, I don't double on guitar. Out of curiosity, how was the audio recorded? Sounds pretty clear and balanced.

I'm currently using a Casio WK-7500 workstation in addition to my Hammond XK-3. The Casio isn't bad, but it has an awkward interface and a really small screen which isn't that legible at an angle (and then there's that pesky small type). The sounds, especially brass and strings, aren't great either. As soon as I struggle up the learning curve a little further, I plan to replace the Casio with the KN5000.

Regards,

Max

#355575 - 11/30/12 01:06 AM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: madmax]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Thanks so much Tony and Max. I am so pleased you enjoyed it. It is a clip we put together to try to get more jobs. It very much represents the sort of classic rock band we are.

We have a Tascam 2488 digital recorder that we keep in the garage where we rehearse. It is a great recorder and perfect for recording tracks for youtube clips like this. We bought it for about $600 rather than spending that same money doing a cheap demo in a studio. It was a great investment. Now we can record anytime we want. It can record 8 inputs simultaneously at 24 bit quality. It even has a CD burner onboard though we haven't needed to use that. But nice in case we ever do.

It's amazing how good quality you can record on home gear now rather than handing over money to recording studios. I highly recommend the Tascam multitrack recorders.

And Sandra and Roger our vocalists are very entertaining for our audiences.

#355580 - 11/30/12 03:15 AM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: Nigel]
Nigel Offline
Admin

This is a song I wrote for the band to announce Last Call at the end of the night at the bars we play. Sure it's tacky but it's pretty funny too. No keyboard in this, I play lead guitar in this song.

#355593 - 11/30/12 08:06 AM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: Nigel]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... that's quite a 'last call' song, Nigel ...
... although I've had my share, I have never been in any of those situations fortunately ... although I've SEEN a few ...
drink

#355602 - 11/30/12 09:56 AM Re: KN5000 NewB - Impressed and Somewhat Overwhelmed [Re: Nigel]
madmax Offline

Neat song, Nigel, and reminiscent of a few of our adventures playing in bars and clubs. Like the time the host of a private party came up on stage to make an announcemnet, fell backwards into the drum kit and microphones, then threw up on the snare and bass drum. Took a while to clean that on up!

Interesting information on the Tascam; I never would have believed that that level of sound quality was possible under the conditions you describe. We have a demo CD we're been circulating that was recorded in our rehearsal loft with a ZOOM recorder; sounds positively primitive next to yours. Something we need to look into. By the way, are you having any difficulty getting gigs due to the economy? Absolutely dismal in our area.

Regards,

Max

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online