SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#354703 - 11/14/12 12:53 AM how to discover midi track names of T2?
GammaCm Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
I have midi recorded on T2 at home but now I'm at the opposite side of Earth and have only KMA here. It's clear that it sounds differ than T2. What is the way to know midi track names bearing in mind that I have only Logic 9 on my Macbook here? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Ian

#354736 - 11/14/12 08:51 AM Re: how to discover midi track names of T2? [Re: GammaCm]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I was going to proprose that Michael Bedesem's MidiPlayer utility (http://psrtutorial.com/MB/midiplayer.html) might read the file and tell you the voices used... but thats a PC program so maybe not such a good idea......

Does garageband read midi files?

#354762 - 11/14/12 04:25 PM Re: how to discover midi track names of T2? [Re: GammaCm]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
If you have access to a GM PC table (one here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI ) you can at least find out what sound roughly the track is supposed to be, but modern arrangers are now up into the thousands of sounds, so really, only a T2 PC change list will get it spot on. Try this: http://www.manualowl.com/m/Yamaha/Tyros2/Manual/152931?page=70

#354829 - 11/15/12 10:05 PM Re: how to discover midi track names of T2? [Re: GammaCm]
tnicoson Offline

Loc: Chicago area - USA
Ian

Logic should show you the LSB/USB numbers that select the voices for each track in the MIDI file. You should then be able to search thru the T2's Data List to determine which voice they select for that track. You then search thru the equivalent document for the "substitute" keyboard or sound module to find a similar voice and swap its LSB/USB in place of those for the T2 in the MIDI file.

BUT . . . there are two major drawbacks to this. First, it works well as long as the selected voice is something definite like "Grand Piano" or "Slow Strings" or "Acoustic Guitar", but if it's something nebulous like "Angel Dream" or "Whispering Winds", you could end up doing a lot of second guessing on both sides of the equation. Second, the LSB/USB shown are only for the start of the song. If the track changes voices one or more times during the song, there could be subsequent LSB/USB entries embedded within the track. The only way to find these is to search the MIDI Event List for each track for additional Bank/Program (LSB/USB) Changes. This sounds like it could get fairly tedious, and it can if there are a lot of voice changes, but like most of these endeavors, once you develop a routine, it goes pretty quick. I did this several years ago, revoicing the MO6/8 demo songs to run on a Motif XS6. It was quite a bit of work, but the results were very rewarding.

Good luck !

#354830 - 11/16/12 05:18 AM Re: how to discover midi track names of T2? [Re: tnicoson]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi

My "MIDI Revoicer" software at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/revmidi/index.htm will do this. Remeber to select "Tyros 2" as instrument before opening the MIDI file.

Jørgen

#354840 - 11/16/12 08:57 AM Re: how to discover midi track names of T2? [Re: GammaCm]
tnicoson Offline

Loc: Chicago area - USA

Sorry, Ian

Where I mention "LSB/USB" in my previous post - substitute "LSB/MSB". I have been trying to solve a "USB" problem on an old laptop, so I guess I have that terminology stuck in my head.

Also, take a look at Jorgen's site as he suggests. He has a nice arsenal of programs that will run on your MAC. His caveat for the MIDI Revoicer is that it only detects the initial voice settings at the head of the file and ignores any subsequent changes, but at least it will give you the much needed start. From there you could do manual searches thru the event lists and just substitute whatever MIDI Revoicer used on the initial settings. I suspect that MIDI Revoicer would work just fine on the majority of MIDI files you would run thru it with no additional work.

Good luck !

Thanks, Jorgen ! and sorry I didn't send him your way to begin with.

#354872 - 11/16/12 04:30 PM Re: how to discover midi track names of T2? [Re: tnicoson]
GammaCm Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
First - to Jorgen - I have sent a letter to you from your website with the same question - please ignore it. Thanks.

Now concerning the topic:
1. Midi Revoicer is good but do not determine each voice (I know about it can do it only at the beginning of a song). But about 75% it can (depends on midi file I think).
2. Logic determines PRG, MSB & LSB but not real on every track. My opinion is that I have not Tyros 2 sound banks description inside Logic and thus he do not know PRG numbers of T2 and give me GM ones (or empty PRG number).

Conlusion - 2 above mentioned methods give me 90% what I asked for, but I will try to find more simple decision.

Thanks and good luck to all!

Ian

Edited by GammaCm (11/16/12 04:34 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online