SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#354648 - 11/13/12 07:38 AM Re: S950 Audio Style Recordings - all Genre [Re: hammer]
CoasterTim Offline

Loc: Allentown, PA, USA
I've had my 950 for a month now and I continue to enjoy playing it almost daily as my form of "therapy". I have no gigs to consider, just an occasional opportunity to play at church.

First, let me say I like and enjoy using the audio drums - they're different and add a new sonic approach to the styles they're part of. However in their present state of "infancy", I'm glad they aren't included in EVERY style. If and when this technology grows up, it may revolutionize arranger playing - that is, if we are willing to give it the time.

One thing Yamaha has to work on is improving the responsiveness of the fills and breaks. I find them ever so slightly delayed in response to my button pushes - or is that just my unit or my brain?

-----------------------------------------------------------
YAMAHA CVP-509 / Korg Pa300

#354678 - 11/13/12 01:53 PM Re: S950 Audio Style Recordings - all Genre [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Overall, I'm not impressed. Other than the Latin stuff, I think that similar results could be achieved with the current set of kits and a small room reverb.

Yamaha seem to have gone overboard with the drum room ambiance, and unlike Korg's, there's no way to alter the balance of it. Trouble is, there really isn't a way to add this kind of room 'space' around all the other sounds, so you get this disconnect between the drum track and the accompaniment.

Plus yes, I am still hearing some weirdness on some fill boundaries. Yamaha have chosen a much simplified method of making audio drums be able to do different tempos. Most other things that do this trick (Ketron's and many VSTi's) do it by slicing the original audio file into individual component hits, and have a MIDI file play them back. Yamaha have chosen to not bother with this tried and tested approach, and rely entirely on time-stretching the audio file. I think this is what is making some things sound a bit strange, and may well account for the less than snappy fill boundaries.

Kudos for Yamaha for at least trying, but I think they have perhaps jumped the gun a bit with this.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online