SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#354412 - 11/09/12 03:47 PM Beakybird's first impression of the S950
Beakybird Offline

I haven't played with the harmonizer yet. I will tomorrow.

Things I like:

There's a real smorgasbord of great S.A. guitar voices that are a blast to play with. Yamaha really nails a lot of the guitar voices, even though with the SA voices it's sometimes difficult to play fast runs effectively. There's an SA wah guitar that is something else.

There are many new organ voices that sound very authentic including B3'ish.

Some of the new pianos, especially the Concert Grand, really create a great palette of sounds to play with.

Some of the voices that existed already in the S910 are mixed really tastefully in the OTS's so that they sound like new voices.

The audio styles sound really good, drums a little too loud. IMO they don't sound that much better than the other styles, but they have a warmth that makes me feel like I'm right there.

The Real Drum kit is quite an improvement over the Standard Drum kit on the S910. The Brush Kit sounds improved. Am I imagining things?

The styles are mixed better than the S910 styles + there's more of them.

The onboard speakers are better sounding. Not that big of a deal. I care more what my audience hears.

Things that aren't so great:

After 12 years or so of the middle of the line keyboards having the buttons in the same place, it's disconcerting that the OTS buttons are so far to the right, that BREAK button isn't far enough away, and the voice control buttons like HARMONY ON/OFF, DSP ON/OFF are above instead of by the keys.

I would have liked some more new SA voices in some of the other categories like Flute & Woodwinds and horns.

Overall, I'm happy, and I recommend the keyboard.

#354436 - 11/10/12 07:28 AM Re: Beakybird's first impression of the S950 [Re: Beakybird]
Dnj Offline

Congrats Larry on your new S950...I know you'll make many people happy once you get going with it in full gear....keep us posted or demos also..Good Luck!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online