SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#354214 - 11/07/12 11:59 AM More S950 First Impressions-pictures
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I only have had the S950 for about 2 hours. Got it unpacked, setup, and played with my normal setups which I had previously place on a 16 gig thumb drive.

1. So far, everything I have tried from a multitude of keyboard s play ok on the S950. I could actually gig with this thing tonight right out of the box using the styles I have been using for years.

2. The Break button should have more separation from the variation change buttons.

3. Sounds from builtin speakers are ok for home - but so far I would hesitate using them for even small gigs. I'll do more work with that though because no tweaking has been done at all -- straight out of the box.

4. It is heaver than expected and larger. It does not fit into my old PSR3000 case - darn.

5. As usual, music stand is useless for gigs.

6. Still uses the "brick" technology for power.

7. The display is bright and I can read it clearly when seated except for the Mixing Console screen.(See Pictures)

8. I did not find the Audio Styles that overwhelming so far. I agree with Don's post - don't buy the S950 for the Audio styles.

I'll post more about sounds as compared to my Tyros 4 and try to get some good recordings a little later.

Deane

Attachments
S950 Small.zip (164 downloads)

Edited by hammer (11/07/12 12:00 PM)

#354218 - 11/07/12 12:34 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

More impressions:
1. Playing through Bose L1 Compacts - wow what a difference. The little S950 really sounds pretty good with the Bose Compacts.

2. For some reason the Roland styles sound much better with the S950 than they do with my Tyros 4.

3. Just about all the styles on the S950 were on the Tyros 3 and the Tyros 4 as far as I can tell and sound pretty much the same.

4. Drums have been improved but still fall way short of Korg's drums.

Deane

#354220 - 11/07/12 12:42 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Deanne.....congrats!!!

Use it well and thank you for more HONEST Opinions & pictures on the S950. keep us posted on your ongoing experiences and maybe a few demos also.

#354221 - 11/07/12 01:01 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Hi Donny,
One thing for sure - it is pure Yamaha. However, if you have been an avid
Yamaha player you will be right at home with the S950. The buttons are just fine and work easy. The layout is ok and will not present a problem. The display is just fine for seated playing but as you can see, the mixing console screen can't be seen from a sitting position - rather odd I think. But again, not a problem for live playing. I was very happy to know all my thousands of gig setups will pay as is. I have found a few that will need an OTS added - but that is a simple task. I like the black color. I also have played several WAV files and they work just fine - I haven't tried MIDI files yet.

Deane

#354222 - 11/07/12 01:09 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Congrats, Deanne ... have fun ...

#354223 - 11/07/12 01:11 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Congratulations, Deane...other than being a little envious that you got one before me frown , I am tickled that you are a proud owner of an S950.

It is so important to see these instruments being used by truly professional players, like yourself, DonM, Uncle Dave and several non-SZ'ers I have been in touch with via email.

You guys know what you need, and if the instrument will produce what is expected on a job, or in the studio.

So, it appears the Tyros4 styles seem to transfer quite well?

Ian

#354224 - 11/07/12 01:16 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Ian,
I have not had time to try everything - but so far I have tried 3 of my Tyros 4 gig setups and they play just great with only a few styles in need of an OTS change.
One big gripe!!!! Why can't Yamaha get the sounds balanced with the styles??
Most of the preset styles will need the lead voice volume increased. I find that a major pain.

Deane

#354225 - 11/07/12 01:22 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer

6. Still uses the "brick" technology for power.
Deane

Can someone explain to me the reason for that versus a direct AC power line?
thnx,

#354226 - 11/07/12 01:29 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Ian,
I have not had time to try everything - but so far I have tried 3 of my Tyros 4 gig setups and they play just great with only a few styles in need of an OTS change.
Most of the preset styles will need the lead voice volume increased. I find that a major pain.

Deane

Glad to hear the gig setups are working okay, Deane.

I generally set my Style Volume to about 80 on the Tyros4, plus I use a volume pedal set to control only the Right Hand Voices.

Yes, going from one level arranger to another, styles from time to time need tweaking...sometimes the style parts for other model arrangers have different EQ and effects, some not even on the other instrument...I have run into that occasionally when making my own styles using Style Assembly.

I guess I have my work cut out for me when I get my S950...but, it will still be major FUN! I am really looking forward to getting my demo model.

Congratulations, again.

Ian

#354229 - 11/07/12 02:42 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Way to go Deane...happy for you

One question on the attached photos

Photo 9 shows the mixing console view from the sitting position.
However it is blurry...is that because the camera took a blurry photo, or is that the actual blurry view of the screen? I'm sure it's just a blurry photo, but I'm a little paranoid with all the reports... crazy

Thanks and have fun with the new toy, and keep us updated with your honest opinions.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#354230 - 11/07/12 02:46 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
a direct power chord would mean having to make different models for different countries voltages. Using the "brick" technology power adapter allows Yamaha to make just one model for any country and the adapter adjusts automatically for anywhere in the world.
(Retired 2021)

#354235 - 11/07/12 04:47 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: lahawk]
hammer Offline

Larry,
The display is very clear. My camera had focus issues with the screen for some reason. I don't find the screen a problem at all. I do very little "tweaking" of styles and have NEVER tweaked a sound so the mixing console screen is not an issue for me. The other screens are very easy to read - and I have only one good eye!

I do have one question. What OS version should be on this keyboard? Mine has version 1.02. If there is a 1.03 it did not come on my keyboard.

Deane

#354238 - 11/07/12 07:03 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: ianmcnll]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
[quote=hammer]Ian,

Deane

I generally set my Style Volume to about 80 on the Tyros4, plus I use a volume pedal set to control only the Right Hand Voices.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's what I do too.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#354243 - 11/07/12 08:07 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Deane, My lead voices seem to be very well balance with the styles. Everything is at factory default, 100.
In fact, I have to use volume pedal to decrease the lead voices sometimes.
What overall e.q. are you using?
DonM

#354248 - 11/07/12 09:22 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: George Kaye]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: George Kaye
a direct power chord would mean having to make different models for different countries voltages. Using the "brick" technology power adapter allows Yamaha to make just one model for any country and the adapter adjusts automatically for anywhere in the world.

Thanks George ... so then 'technics' made different models for different countries??? ... maybe that's what helped them go out of business ?!? ... going back to my kn1000 (circa 1991 - ish) they've had an AC power chord ...

#354249 - 11/07/12 09:50 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
124 Offline

My Korg Pa1XPro is AC cord 100/240V, 50/60Hz, so good for just about anywhere. Can't see why Yamaha can't do that.

#354266 - 11/08/12 06:25 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Don,
I'am using it now just like it came out of the box.
Did you check your OS version?
Deane

#354270 - 11/08/12 07:13 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

Haven't checked. I left it at Ernest's. Will check this evening.
DonM

#354276 - 11/08/12 07:53 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Haven't checked. I left it at Ernest's. Will check this evening.
DonM

It's nice to be able to have that kind of trust in an establishment, and Don, I know Ernest's is as much your OWN place, but I'm always concerned about some catastrophe, which of course can happen ANYWHERE ...
Not that I HAVEN'T left my gear overnight at a steady gig ...

Edited by tony mads usa (11/08/12 07:54 AM)

#354278 - 11/08/12 08:01 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Only thing I ever had come up missing was a mic, and I'm not sure I left it there.
I would worry more about fire or a storm than theft. I've been working there off and on, but mostly regularly since 1989!
I just walk in, plug in my power strip, turn on kb and start "working".
I will bring everything home tonight for the first time in a month or two because I'm off Friday and Saturday.
Well, almost everything because I leave my chair and keyboard stand there all the time.
DonM

#354280 - 11/08/12 08:05 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM

I would worry more about fire or a storm than theft.
DonM

Yeah, that's my fear as well ...

#354296 - 11/08/12 09:59 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida

Deane... You might want to record yourself playing with the preset volumes before you go and make a lot of changes. One thing I hear on almost all user arranger demos here is that the player invariably plays the lead voices TOO LOUD!

Sure, it's great for monitoring yourself, in fact, it's probably the perfect balance if you were playing through a PA with a monitor system and the monitors were making you a bit 'hotter' so you could hear yourself well, but as an 'FOH' mix, it tends to swamp the backing.

Record some songs using the 'recorder', and play them back. You would be surprised at how well you can pick out the lead, despite being a bit lower in the mix than you prefer when actually performing.

One feature I wish arrangers with speakers built in would provide is a 'lead/backing' balance parameter, that did NOT affect the main outputs, ONLY the built in speakers. That way, you could make yourself a bit hotter for your own benefit, without the mains following that mix...

Wouldn't that be handy?!

#354297 - 11/08/12 10:02 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Offline

Most arrangers these days with A/C input have universal power supplies inside. Hook them up to almost any voltage/Hz, and they still work...

#354300 - 11/08/12 10:48 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: 124]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: 124
My Korg Pa1XPro is AC cord 100/240V, 50/60Hz, so good for just about anywhere. Can't see why Yamaha can't do that.

Yamaha uses the external power supply because its cheaper for them to do so. Many countries don't have stringent power requirements like the US does and don't require UL listing. If Yamaha built an internal switching power supply that could switch various voltages for all countries, it would increase their manufacturing cost. With the PSR series you're essentially buying a powered toy so Yamaha doesn't care if they give you a cheap generic power supply. You want an internal supply, don't buy cheap plastic toys, buy a professional grade instrument.

#354301 - 11/08/12 12:06 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: Ensnareyou]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Again children behavior, my toy is better dan yours mad
Stop this endless bashing, and play on a other brand and be Happy with it.

IMPULS smile

#354302 - 11/08/12 12:20 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Today's adaptors are a big improvement over the old "wall warts" by having their "brick" in the middle. The old wall warts also usually took up a lot more space on a power strip.

The adaptors with newer MOTL arrangers are also much lighter...the one with my recent demo PSR-S910 was very lightweight, and actually, in my opinion, no more inconvenient to use than a regular power cord due to the transformer part being in the middle.

I still have a tough old Yamaha PA-6 (2 amps), also not wall wart type, which I use for my equally tough and old Yamaha CS-01 mono synth, and it is pretty heavy, and definitely earns the word "brick" description. wink

Ian

#354319 - 11/08/12 03:09 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Ensnareyou,
You are way off base here with your arrogant comment about "cheap toys" . Many of the posters here, including myself, not only own TOTL keyboards but several of them and frequently try out new offerings from various manufacturers. It is a valid question why the "brick" is still being used on a keyboard costing $1800.00. The reason is probably obvious - but buyers look for more from any manufacturer.

Deane

Edited by hammer (11/08/12 03:09 PM)

#354322 - 11/08/12 04:00 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I have listening to the new PSR's and they sound far from cheap toys. I agree stop bashing. My "cheap toy" the PA600 will arrive tomorrow.

#354331 - 11/08/12 06:14 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

FransN,
I too have a PA600 on order but we have not gotten them yet in the US. So far I like the S950. It reminds me a lot of my PSR3000 in terms of operation and layout. I got a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of my Tyros 4 today and the S950 holds it own in an unexpected way. I am working on getting some recordings of both to post but right now I have little time so it will be next week before that happens.

Please let us know what you think of the PA600. I can't wait to get mine. I have the Korg MicroArranger and just love it.

Deane

#354343 - 11/08/12 08:59 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

FransN,
I too have a PA600 on order but we have not gotten them yet in the US. So far I like the S950. It reminds me a lot of my PSR3000 in terms of operation and layout. I got a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of my Tyros 4 today and the S950 holds it own in an unexpected way. I am working on getting some recordings of both to post but right now I have little time so it will be next week before that happens.

Please let us know what you think of the PA600. I can't wait to get mine. I have the Korg MicroArranger and just love it.

Deane

Deanne ... how many boards do you have right now ??? surprised

#354356 - 11/09/12 02:26 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I got a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of my Tyros 4 today and the S950 holds it own in an unexpected way

thats fantastic news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#354357 - 11/09/12 03:25 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: rolandfan]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By: rolandfan
I got a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of my Tyros 4 today and the S950 holds it own in an unexpected way

thats fantastic news!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's good to hear, and I'm not surprised.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#354363 - 11/09/12 06:49 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Tony,
right now I only have 2 plus a Roland A-800 Pro controller I use with
Dan's vArranger. One time I had 4 - way to many to really make use of
on a daily basis. But it was a lot of fun doing side-by-side comparisons.
The only keyboard I have not owned is a Ketron - I almost bought the
SD5 and did own the MidiJay module at one time.

Deane

#354364 - 11/09/12 06:52 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Another comment about the S950. If you go into a store to audition one take a really good pair of headphones with you. The built-in speakers just don't get the full sound
out of the keyboard. On the other hand, with external speakers, Bose Compacts in my case, it sounds pretty good. I'll try to get a few recordings of just the styles posted today. If anyone lets me know which ones they want to hear I'll try to record them.

Deane

#354367 - 11/09/12 08:03 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

I recorded the first ten styles from the SwingJazz section.
Please let me know if this is helpful for anyone. I'll post more if so.

https://www.box.com/s/rg7ppbxelm1cpyiqcvc0

Deane

#354368 - 11/09/12 08:07 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Deane thanx for the demos not much change from the S910 to my ears on these familiar Yamaha styles, can you record the Audio styles also......also did you RECORD IN "MONO" I am only getting one side?

#354369 - 11/09/12 08:18 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Deanne ... thank you ... they all sound good ... I could play with the jazz guitar and piano styles all night ... smile
How about the bossa's?
thnx

#354370 - 11/09/12 08:48 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Donny,
there are only 2 audio styles in the SwingJazz section. I recorded to my Zoom H2 direct from the output on the back of one of my Bose Compacts.

I'll do the next 20 from the set on the keyboard and see if that makes a difference. A sound engineer I am not!!

Deane

#354371 - 11/09/12 08:56 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: tony mads usa]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Yes it sounds like mono here as well.
Deane any chance of recording stereo?
I,d love to hear some nice new distortion guitar sounds. Especially that SA wawa guitar.
Thanks for taking time to post these.

#354376 - 11/09/12 09:51 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Donny,
check out the 5 I just uploaded -- OrchestraSwing-MoonlightBallad. I did these using the built-in Audio Recorder. I think there might be a glitch in this recorder because it just suddenly stops telling me it is busy. I had to do several attempts to get some of these 5 styles to record without the recorder stopping.

I don't plan on recording full songs or any of the lead right hand voices. The styles alone will keep me busy for days.

Deane

#354381 - 11/09/12 10:14 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Donny,
check out the 5 I just uploaded -- OrchestraSwing-MoonlightBallad. I did these using the built-in Audio Recorder. I think there might be a glitch in this recorder because it just suddenly stops telling me it is busy. I had to do several attempts to get some of these 5 styles to record without the recorder stopping.

I don't plan on recording full songs or any of the lead right hand voices. The styles alone will keep me busy for days.

Deane

Deane Ok Now you got it buddy sounds so much better...love the moonlight ballad I could do so many songs with that style,...keep em coming "IN STEREO" wink & good luck with your new S950....hope you feeling better day by day!! clap

#354384 - 11/09/12 11:01 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Ok, all the S950 SwingJazz styles are recorded and uploaded.
Country is next.

Enjoy.
Deane

#354387 - 11/09/12 11:24 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Anybody else hearing a bit of weirdness at some fill boundaries? Are these the audio styles?

#354388 - 11/09/12 11:30 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: Diki]
hammer Offline

Diki,
No, you are hearing well. I noticed that too. There are very
few audio styles on the keyboard - not enough in my opinion to buy just for the audio styles. I am not using the "fill" button - those are with the autofill turned on.

Deane

#354403 - 11/09/12 02:17 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Ok, all the S950 SwingJazz styles are recorded and uploaded.
Country is next.

Enjoy.
Deane

Deanne ... you are doing an invaluable service here ... thank you ... clap

#354408 - 11/09/12 03:03 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

I have a question for the techi types here. I seldom have used the MusicFinder on my keyboards. Today I have been going through all 1500 plus or minus songs in the Musicfinder and I discovered something interesting. It seems to me the songs in the Yamaha supplied Music Finder have been tweaked to sound a lot better than the style used for them. Does anyone know if this has been the case in the past?

Deane

#354410 - 11/09/12 03:32 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
DonM Offline

1500!!! Mine doesn't have but a few. I must be doing something wrong. I'm going to take it out of the case in a little while and check that again.
DonM

#354413 - 11/09/12 04:05 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Don,
There is a MFD file for the S950 on the yamaha website.
Deane

#354416 - 11/09/12 04:44 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Don,
You got mail!
Deane

#354434 - 11/10/12 06:52 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Here are all the S950 Country Styles.
https://www.box.com/s/874lvmig9chtriydjg02

Deane

#354440 - 11/10/12 08:40 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

thanks Deanne ... once again, there are some nice styles there ... just one thing - any chance you mixed the Country Rock style with the Country Rock Bld style? ...
thanks again,
t. cool

#354470 - 11/10/12 04:39 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: tony mads usa]
hammer Offline

Hi Tony,
I might have - don't know for sure.
The next day or two I'll do the Latin Styles.

Deane

#354488 - 11/11/12 03:48 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
psr30000 Offline

i will buy the S950,like the body so much!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online