SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#354280 - 11/08/12 08:05 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM

I would worry more about fire or a storm than theft.
DonM

Yeah, that's my fear as well ...

#354296 - 11/08/12 09:59 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: hammer
One big gripe!!!! Why can't Yamaha get the sounds balanced with the styles??
Most of the preset styles will need the lead voice volume increased. I find that a major pain.

Deane... You might want to record yourself playing with the preset volumes before you go and make a lot of changes. One thing I hear on almost all user arranger demos here is that the player invariably plays the lead voices TOO LOUD!

Sure, it's great for monitoring yourself, in fact, it's probably the perfect balance if you were playing through a PA with a monitor system and the monitors were making you a bit 'hotter' so you could hear yourself well, but as an 'FOH' mix, it tends to swamp the backing.

Record some songs using the 'recorder', and play them back. You would be surprised at how well you can pick out the lead, despite being a bit lower in the mix than you prefer when actually performing.

One feature I wish arrangers with speakers built in would provide is a 'lead/backing' balance parameter, that did NOT affect the main outputs, ONLY the built in speakers. That way, you could make yourself a bit hotter for your own benefit, without the mains following that mix...

Wouldn't that be handy?!

#354297 - 11/08/12 10:02 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: George Kaye]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Originally Posted By: George Kaye
a direct power chord would mean having to make different models for different countries voltages. Using the "brick" technology power adapter allows Yamaha to make just one model for any country and the adapter adjusts automatically for anywhere in the world.

Most arrangers these days with A/C input have universal power supplies inside. Hook them up to almost any voltage/Hz, and they still work...

#354300 - 11/08/12 10:48 AM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: 124]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: 124
My Korg Pa1XPro is AC cord 100/240V, 50/60Hz, so good for just about anywhere. Can't see why Yamaha can't do that.

Yamaha uses the external power supply because its cheaper for them to do so. Many countries don't have stringent power requirements like the US does and don't require UL listing. If Yamaha built an internal switching power supply that could switch various voltages for all countries, it would increase their manufacturing cost. With the PSR series you're essentially buying a powered toy so Yamaha doesn't care if they give you a cheap generic power supply. You want an internal supply, don't buy cheap plastic toys, buy a professional grade instrument.

#354301 - 11/08/12 12:06 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: Ensnareyou]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Again children behavior, my toy is better dan yours mad
Stop this endless bashing, and play on a other brand and be Happy with it.

IMPULS smile

#354302 - 11/08/12 12:20 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: George Kaye
a direct power chord would mean having to make different models for different countries voltages. Using the "brick" technology power adapter allows Yamaha to make just one model for any country and the adapter adjusts automatically for anywhere in the world.

Today's adaptors are a big improvement over the old "wall warts" by having their "brick" in the middle. The old wall warts also usually took up a lot more space on a power strip.

The adaptors with newer MOTL arrangers are also much lighter...the one with my recent demo PSR-S910 was very lightweight, and actually, in my opinion, no more inconvenient to use than a regular power cord due to the transformer part being in the middle.

I still have a tough old Yamaha PA-6 (2 amps), also not wall wart type, which I use for my equally tough and old Yamaha CS-01 mono synth, and it is pretty heavy, and definitely earns the word "brick" description. wink

Ian

#354319 - 11/08/12 03:09 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Ensnareyou,
You are way off base here with your arrogant comment about "cheap toys" . Many of the posters here, including myself, not only own TOTL keyboards but several of them and frequently try out new offerings from various manufacturers. It is a valid question why the "brick" is still being used on a keyboard costing $1800.00. The reason is probably obvious - but buyers look for more from any manufacturer.

Deane

Edited by hammer (11/08/12 03:09 PM)

#354322 - 11/08/12 04:00 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I have listening to the new PSR's and they sound far from cheap toys. I agree stop bashing. My "cheap toy" the PA600 will arrive tomorrow.

#354331 - 11/08/12 06:14 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
FransN,
I too have a PA600 on order but we have not gotten them yet in the US. So far I like the S950. It reminds me a lot of my PSR3000 in terms of operation and layout. I got a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of my Tyros 4 today and the S950 holds it own in an unexpected way. I am working on getting some recordings of both to post but right now I have little time so it will be next week before that happens.

Please let us know what you think of the PA600. I can't wait to get mine. I have the Korg MicroArranger and just love it.

Deane

#354343 - 11/08/12 08:59 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: hammer
FransN,
I too have a PA600 on order but we have not gotten them yet in the US. So far I like the S950. It reminds me a lot of my PSR3000 in terms of operation and layout. I got a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of my Tyros 4 today and the S950 holds it own in an unexpected way. I am working on getting some recordings of both to post but right now I have little time so it will be next week before that happens.

Please let us know what you think of the PA600. I can't wait to get mine. I have the Korg MicroArranger and just love it.

Deane

Deanne ... how many boards do you have right now ??? surprised

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online