SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#354214 - 11/07/12 11:59 AM More S950 First Impressions-pictures
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I only have had the S950 for about 2 hours. Got it unpacked, setup, and played with my normal setups which I had previously place on a 16 gig thumb drive.

1. So far, everything I have tried from a multitude of keyboard s play ok on the S950. I could actually gig with this thing tonight right out of the box using the styles I have been using for years.

2. The Break button should have more separation from the variation change buttons.

3. Sounds from builtin speakers are ok for home - but so far I would hesitate using them for even small gigs. I'll do more work with that though because no tweaking has been done at all -- straight out of the box.

4. It is heaver than expected and larger. It does not fit into my old PSR3000 case - darn.

5. As usual, music stand is useless for gigs.

6. Still uses the "brick" technology for power.

7. The display is bright and I can read it clearly when seated except for the Mixing Console screen.(See Pictures)

8. I did not find the Audio Styles that overwhelming so far. I agree with Don's post - don't buy the S950 for the Audio styles.

I'll post more about sounds as compared to my Tyros 4 and try to get some good recordings a little later.

Deane

Attachments
S950 Small.zip (164 downloads)

Edited by hammer (11/07/12 12:00 PM)

#354218 - 11/07/12 12:34 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

More impressions:
1. Playing through Bose L1 Compacts - wow what a difference. The little S950 really sounds pretty good with the Bose Compacts.

2. For some reason the Roland styles sound much better with the S950 than they do with my Tyros 4.

3. Just about all the styles on the S950 were on the Tyros 3 and the Tyros 4 as far as I can tell and sound pretty much the same.

4. Drums have been improved but still fall way short of Korg's drums.

Deane

#354220 - 11/07/12 12:42 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Deanne.....congrats!!!

Use it well and thank you for more HONEST Opinions & pictures on the S950. keep us posted on your ongoing experiences and maybe a few demos also.

#354221 - 11/07/12 01:01 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Hi Donny,
One thing for sure - it is pure Yamaha. However, if you have been an avid
Yamaha player you will be right at home with the S950. The buttons are just fine and work easy. The layout is ok and will not present a problem. The display is just fine for seated playing but as you can see, the mixing console screen can't be seen from a sitting position - rather odd I think. But again, not a problem for live playing. I was very happy to know all my thousands of gig setups will pay as is. I have found a few that will need an OTS added - but that is a simple task. I like the black color. I also have played several WAV files and they work just fine - I haven't tried MIDI files yet.

Deane

#354222 - 11/07/12 01:09 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Congrats, Deanne ... have fun ...

#354223 - 11/07/12 01:11 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Congratulations, Deane...other than being a little envious that you got one before me frown , I am tickled that you are a proud owner of an S950.

It is so important to see these instruments being used by truly professional players, like yourself, DonM, Uncle Dave and several non-SZ'ers I have been in touch with via email.

You guys know what you need, and if the instrument will produce what is expected on a job, or in the studio.

So, it appears the Tyros4 styles seem to transfer quite well?

Ian

#354224 - 11/07/12 01:16 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
hammer Offline

Ian,
I have not had time to try everything - but so far I have tried 3 of my Tyros 4 gig setups and they play just great with only a few styles in need of an OTS change.
One big gripe!!!! Why can't Yamaha get the sounds balanced with the styles??
Most of the preset styles will need the lead voice volume increased. I find that a major pain.

Deane

#354225 - 11/07/12 01:22 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: hammer

6. Still uses the "brick" technology for power.
Deane

Can someone explain to me the reason for that versus a direct AC power line?
thnx,

#354226 - 11/07/12 01:29 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: hammer
Ian,
I have not had time to try everything - but so far I have tried 3 of my Tyros 4 gig setups and they play just great with only a few styles in need of an OTS change.
One big gripe!!!! Why can't Yamaha get the sounds balanced with the styles??
Most of the preset styles will need the lead voice volume increased. I find that a major pain.

Deane

Glad to hear the gig setups are working okay, Deane.

I generally set my Style Volume to about 80 on the Tyros4, plus I use a volume pedal set to control only the Right Hand Voices.

Yes, going from one level arranger to another, styles from time to time need tweaking...sometimes the style parts for other model arrangers have different EQ and effects, some not even on the other instrument...I have run into that occasionally when making my own styles using Style Assembly.

I guess I have my work cut out for me when I get my S950...but, it will still be major FUN! I am really looking forward to getting my demo model.

Congratulations, again.

Ian

#354229 - 11/07/12 02:42 PM Re: More S950 First Impressions-pictures [Re: hammer]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Way to go Deane...happy for you

One question on the attached photos

Photo 9 shows the mixing console view from the sitting position.
However it is blurry...is that because the camera took a blurry photo, or is that the actual blurry view of the screen? I'm sure it's just a blurry photo, but I'm a little paranoid with all the reports... crazy

Thanks and have fun with the new toy, and keep us updated with your honest opinions.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online