SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#354200 - 11/07/12 08:13 AM PSR S950 First Impressions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
After waiting all day for Fedex yesterday, I finally gave up and had to go to work. Left a note on the door for them to leave it across the street with my neighbor.
When I got home about 11:00 p.m., his garage door was open and I saw the box. He even carried it across the street to me. He said it arrived at 9 p.m.

Anyway, I un-boxed it and plugged in phones, and played it for about two hours, just as it came from the factory.
I am very impressed with many of the lead sounds, especially the guitars. It has some amazing Pedal Steel sounds, and many great Blues and Lead and Jazz guitar setups.
Other sounds I like include the pianos, saxes and organs. Srings, including Violin are really good as well. EPs are nice as usual.
As for the styles, two or three of the Audio styles are about all I could find a use for, but they are really nice, and I'm sure many people would use more of them than those that appeal to me. The audio styles are no reason to buy the 950. Not enough of them to make a difference.
The drums sound better than on previous PSRs, but still somewhat weak compared to Korg, Roland or Ketron.
After playing the PA3X, the 950 felt very toy-like at first, but I quickly got used to it. Key response is lightening fast, which I like. The new buttons seem more stable than previous PSRs. It is larger than I thought, and seems to be about the same weight as PA3X!
The new speaker system sounds really good and I could see doing small house party or dining job with them. They go way louder without distortion that the S900.
There are some really good styles, but nowhere near the quantity, variety and quality of the Korg's. The majority have been around in Yamahas for many years, though they appear to have been updated, and are better than before.
Haven't tried the mic processor, or much of anything else yet. I will spend some time with it over the next few days.
To be totally honest, right now, I don't see it replacing the PA3X, but it would be a wonderful backup or second keyboard, if I can afford to keep both.
No rush, time will tell, and I will update as I get more into it.
DonM

#354202 - 11/07/12 08:37 AM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
After waiting all day for Fedex yesterday, I finally gave up and had to go to work. Left a note on the door for them to leave it across the street with my neighbor.
When I got home about 11:00 p.m., his garage door was open and I saw the box. He even carried it across the street to me. He said it arrived at 9 p.m.

Anyway, I un-boxed it and plugged in phones, and played it for about two hours, just as it came from the factory.
I am very impressed with many of the lead sounds, especially the guitars. It has some amazing Pedal Steel sounds, and many great Blues and Lead and Jazz guitar setups.
Other sounds I like include the pianos, saxes and organs. Srings, including Violin are really good as well. EPs are nice as usual.
As for the styles, two or three of the Audio styles are about all I could find a use for, but they are really nice, and I'm sure many people would use more of them than those that appeal to me. The audio styles are no reason to buy the 950. Not enough of them to make a difference.
The drums sound better than on previous PSRs, but still somewhat weak compared to Korg, Roland or Ketron.
After playing the PA3X, the 950 felt very toy-like at first, but I quickly got used to it. Key response is lightening fast, which I like. The new buttons seem more stable than previous PSRs. It is larger than I thought, and seems to be about the same weight as PA3X!
The new speaker system sounds really good and I could see doing small house party or dining job with them. They go way louder without distortion that the S900.
There are some really good styles, but nowhere near the quantity, variety and quality of the Korg's. The majority have been around in Yamahas for many years, though they appear to have been updated, and are better than before.
Haven't tried the mic processor, or much of anything else yet. I will spend some time with it over the next few days.
To be totally honest, right now, I don't see it replacing the PA3X, but it would be a wonderful backup or second keyboard, if I can afford to keep both.
No rush, time will tell, and I will update as I get more into it.
DonM

Don Congrats on your new KB,.....and thanx for the VERY honest assessment with your first thoughts of the S950 out of the box, it really helps potential buyers make a decision. Hope to hear more in the coming days as you continue to explore its OS....good luck.

#354203 - 11/07/12 09:29 AM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Congratulations on your new Yamaha PSR-S950, Don.

Like any new instrument, there is always a warm up or acclimatization time, but you seem to have it under grips already.

Let me know when you want some of my personally edited custom styles made on my Tyros4...I'll be interested to hear if they transfer to your S950 with all their goodies attached.

I really like the Tyros4's SA Pedal Steel and the SA Single Coil guitars, which I notice are on your S950, as are many other great electrics and acoustics. With your skill at guitar emulation, the listener is in for a real treat.

Ian

PS...Hey, one hardly expects a new Yamaha MOTL to replace a landmark TOTL Korg PA3X, but, at least it's managed to find it's way under your fingers.

#354205 - 11/07/12 10:17 AM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I would LOVE to have the styles Ian! Thanks!
DonM

#354207 - 11/07/12 10:38 AM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Don ... best wishes with your new board ... have fun ...
keys

#354219 - 11/07/12 12:37 PM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I would LOVE to have the styles Ian! Thanks!
DonM

Still busy with moving to new digs, but I should have time tonight to put together a little test package of styles to see if they work okay.

Found two ancient clarinets in the 150 year old homestead today...one is real ebony and the other is silver/metal...both were owned/played by local celebrities (one owned the local music store) back in the 40's, and ended up with me somehow during my travels. Both need to be restored, but are in incredibly good condition otherwise.

Now, if I can only find a mint Steinway B, or Hammond B-3... laugh

Ian

#354231 - 11/07/12 02:51 PM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Way to go Don...and thanks for the mini review. Look forward to more, and maybe a demo of those guitars?

Yes, I have to ask, because I'm now obsessed...how is the display, particularly the mixing console display?

Thanks and Have Fun.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#354233 - 11/07/12 04:10 PM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It is larger than I thought, and seems to be about the same weight as PA3X!

Aw, c'mon Don .... its SEVEN lbs lighter than the Korg! (lol - I love the size/weight/solid factor of the 3x61key ... if only it had built in speakers at that weight!)

#354244 - 11/07/12 08:09 PM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

It seems about the same weight, and I think it's bigger. I know it's deeper. I have the 61 note Korg.
DonM

#354245 - 11/07/12 08:32 PM Re: PSR S950 First Impressions [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup = I have the 61 note model too .... The Korg is 32lbs, the yammy is 25. Too close to quibble about, and yes - it IS deeper.In fact I bought 2 cases to see which one fits best - I have a brand new gator 61 size if you need one! Paid $79 yesterday ... if I return it, I'll take a hit on shipping, so ... I'll offer it up here for $75 and I'll pay the shipping to US!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online