SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#353797 - 10/31/12 08:31 AM Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Hi guys, long time no see. I'm still using my Roland E60, trying out the Juno Stage for gigs i don't need arranger features on, as i like the better action , the lighter weight, and the sleeker, more professional appearance. For gigs where i need great sound my 2 12" Ev-100's and Behringer 5-input powered mixer that i got from George Kaye still sound great, but last year i added the Bose L1 compact for when i want easier setup etc. i had a/b'd it w the Fishman Soloamp at GC,
and the Bose sounded a bit better for the same price. However, it's very limited without a mixer, and also i didn't like the boomy bass in small venues, or at home, so i just sold it. Now i'm trying to decide betw the Fishman and the Roland BA 330, as i want a one-piece alternative for smaller gigs, and i can't find any place i can demo them side by side. any opinions from u fellas? thanx

#353818 - 10/31/12 04:21 PM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: keysvocalssax]
keysvocalssax Offline

ok, guys i'll answer my own query. today one of the Sam Ash stores had both,
so i went to compare them. was not impressed with the sound of the BA330
at all, my vocals sounded so much better on the Fishman that i didn't even bother to try my e60 with it, and there is only a general 2-dial eq, not one for each channel, so would have to set vocal and keyboard alike. Fishman Soloamp sounded very good to me, both vocal and keys, am shopping some on ebay now.

#353939 - 11/02/12 09:33 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: keysvocalssax]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I’m glad you got to try one. I made the MISTAKE of buying a BA 300 on sale over the internet. I don’t like it at all. It was on sale at a pretty good price. I can’t imagine anyone paying full price for it. It’s just barely good enough for home practice, rehearsal,a monitor or for small jobs but that’s it. I just don't care for the sound.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#353940 - 11/02/12 09:44 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: keysvocalssax]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I wonder why you would not use an external mixer to get the highs and lows that you want. It beats having to go to the amp and make your changes.

I did the same comparison and found the Bose much better – it has gotten raves on the forum.

My opinion, John C.

#353943 - 11/02/12 10:20 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: bruno123]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mo, how can you condem how it sounds with your voice, when you do not understand how to set it up..it has individual tone controls for each channel and adjustable effects too...the eq you mentioned is for the over all amp control... grin

I have found very few folks that gave up on the BA330 just never spent the time to set it up correctly...It surely sounds great...fuller sound than the Bose...the coverage is limited...but will do 100 people nursing home gigs with ease...

And adding a full feature mixer can improve any system...even the Bose smile

#358599 - 01/12/13 07:05 PM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: Fran Carango]
keysvocalssax Offline

guys, some of you don't really appreciate the art i have made out of laziness! at my advanced age (pushing 74) i make no apologies for it. why didn't i stay with the Bose L1 compact w/a mixer? because carrying an extra piece (even the little Behringer mini) and putting cables in and out and another power supply etc and the little folding table to place it on is more bother than i want to go thru for small gigs. w/the SoloAmp, i put my kbd into the aux channel in back, my mic
in ch 1, another mic on ch2 for sax clip-on or singer sit-ins, and i'm done. all
controls on board, and i keep the unit close to me so no problem just reaching over from my stool to adjust controls on the fly. i not only don't need the stronger bass of the L1, but the Fishman, even tho the same weight, is easier to lift/carry because of the shape..the Bose hangs down your side like a bowling bag, and can be a strain on the back unless you're balanced on the opposite hand.
it sets up faster than the 3 pieces that assemble on the Bose, too. i tried to
practice in the house and unless i went thru the bother of setting up a mixer,
the Bose bass was boomy and unpleasant. not so the Fish. yeah, it's true if you a/b both systems ideally set up, the Bose sounds a bit better, but not enough
better to justify the drawbacks..especially as i have an alternative....

when i need a better sound than either, I have a great lazy man's higher-end
solution too. I set my passive 12" EV100 on a stand directly behind me, with
the speaker above my head facing out or backwards to the wall, depending
on whether too loud or too soft is the bugaboo of the client, and then i place the 2nd speaker on the floor next to me, which serves as a table for my Behringer 5-input powered mixer, gives me stronger bass, and i can direct it
at another band member if needed. the ev's/amp are relatively light, and setting up is a breeze, but of course not as fast or light as the L1 or SoloAmp.
so i figured, why not go the much easier route if i'm not going to carry the
ev/powermixer combo? the L1 ain't that much easier to do, and doesn't sound
as good as the Ev combo. the Fish is much easier to do, a better alternative
for me.

Fran, sorry, I don't buy that if i adjusted the eq and efx better on the B330 it would sound better than the Fishman or the L1...it wasn't even close to sounding good to me at Sam Ash next to the SoloAmp. it wasn't that is was
not as good by comparison, i didn't like it at all.

#358634 - 01/13/13 07:14 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: keysvocalssax]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Just my $.02 but after kicking around a million choices for a small setup for my studio and smaller gigs I went totally retro. A very small and light 6 channel Carvin powered mixer and two of their 10" speakers. Its Stereo and a surprizingly powerful setup for its size with some decent bass output. Could even use it to DJ dance music for a small party. I'm sold on Carvin stuff so after going around in circles, included a short time with a BA330, I got this system for a very good price. Best part is it can integrate with my larger PA ( 2/12" Carvins and a Yamana Powered mixer) so everything is sort of interchangable. I like having the controls of a powered mixer near me and its less wires than powered speakers. I also have two very old Peavey spot monitors so a small gig could be one 10" or 12" speaker with the small mixer and one of the spot monitors if I need it. I just think most of the small all in one systems are geared for acoustic guitarists/singers so as a Keyboardist/singer/DJ you can only go so small.
Good luck with your new system, keep on playing.

Edited by Bill Lewis (01/13/13 07:19 AM)

#358746 - 01/15/13 04:16 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: keysvocalssax]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Logitech z2300.

Tom

#358748 - 01/15/13 05:31 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: Tom Cavanaugh]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom Cavanaugh
Logitech z2300.

Great setup, Tom...I have used them for smaller rooms as the throw is rather short.

One thing for sure...they have lots of power, are very clean (no distortion even at over 75%), and the slight loss of mids is easily rectified using the arranger's EQ.

A real bargain as well.

Ian

#358757 - 01/15/13 08:25 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: keysvocalssax]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have two sets of Logitech Z2200s. One is in my office for computer sound and practice p.a. One is in a bag in the garage in a bag with stands, cables, etc., for backup p.a.
I also have a Z5500 in the living room for tv and music. It has six speakers including sub. They are all pretty amazing if you consider the price.
I have done nursing homes and house parties with the 2200s on quite a few occasions.
The system in my office has not been turned off in years. It is hooked to a Yamaha MG82CX mixer. Plenty of inputs for two PCs, keyboards, Tascam recorder, mics, etc.
Logitech as outstanding customer support, probably even better than Bose.
These little systems are designed for home use of course, but are quite capable of doubling as a small p.a. system. As my Canadian friend Ian says, they have a short throw, so not good for big venues.
DonM

#358764 - 01/15/13 09:29 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Bill, I'm using the exact same Carvin equipment you are (both small systems) , plus a large set of monitors and larger speakers, with 4,000 watts of Crown power, when needed. Bought my first Carvin Equipment in 1962 from the factory; then located in Covina, California, when I was 15.

Have lots of speakers, guitars and basses, including some interesting double necks and steel guitars on legs with multiple necks.

Great minds think alike!

R.

#358821 - 01/16/13 06:45 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: keysvocalssax]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Captain

Not being a guitar player as you are I still like to look at the Carvin instruments. Some of those custom guitars are works of art. Thank God I don't play guitar, I'd be buying and buying !
I like to have versatile PA stuff as you do because you never know. I could bring my small PA to a gig but always have something for backup in the car. I've been hired for piano/vocal gigs and after a few hours and the miracle of an open bar a dance party breaks out. You never know. Bring in another speaker, plug in the ITouch and go with it. With what i have I can mix and match and I also still have two Crate KX220 keyboard amps that are do anything pieces. Great for my VR700 organ stuff.
I know you can buy anything you want but you still stick with the Carvin stuff -thats a great endorsment. I've found the Carvin people have been great to deal with.

Keep playing

#358823 - 01/16/13 06:53 AM Re: Roland BA 300 v. Fishman Soloamp? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online